Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Mar 2003, 13:42 (Ref:522339)   #1
Fox Mulder
Rookie

Fox Mulder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a question about new quall-rules..

How will be the drivers driving in the first q-session?? In the second q-session the fastest man from Friday will be driving last on Saturday, and the slowest man from Friday will be starting the session on Saturday. But how it will be on Friday during the first q-session?? Who will be driving first his hot-lap???
Old 2 Mar 2003, 13:50 (Ref:522345)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's reversed championship order, I think.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 13:59 (Ref:522352)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the first race of the season, the previous year's championship positions will be used. For the rest of the year the drivers will go out in championship order on Friday, with the series leader first.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 2 Mar 2003, 14:14 (Ref:522364)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep,for Oz they start friday in reversed WDC order.
So shuey gets to go last on the well rubbered track.Same with sat-the fastest fri goes last.

Roll on first wet/dry session!!
Old 2 Mar 2003, 15:25 (Ref:522385)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing reversed about it!

The Friday session in Melbourne uses 2002 championship order - so Michael Schumacher goes first.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 15:59 (Ref:522399)   #6
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Aye, reversing only happens on Saturday (or putting the car in the garage )
Old 3 Mar 2003, 00:42 (Ref:522975)   #7
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what happens with the rookies are they just scrooged? and what happens next round when 12 drivers are all tied at 0 points? and what happens if someone crashes and someone else on track has to abort, do they start from that point or does that person go to the end of the order?
Old 3 Mar 2003, 07:25 (Ref:523212)   #8
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by avsfan733
... and what happens if someone crashes and someone else on track has to abort, do they start from that point or does that person go to the end of the order?
If someone crashes, he goes to the end of the order.
The driver who is on his outlap at that moment, will go back to the pits, and will get a new chance. IIRC, he can add some fuel at that point.

At the FIA site there's also some ruling about the tyres in this situation, but I don't remember exactly.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 07:36 (Ref:523219)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The rookies will probably toss a coin or draw lots to see who goes last, and so on, for Friday's pre-quals.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 3 Mar 2003 at 07:37.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 10:09 (Ref:523284)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You never have twelve drivers genuinely tied on 0 points.

The driver who finishes 9th in Melbourne will be 9th in the championship, with 0 points.

The driver who finishes 15th will be 15th in the championship, with 0 points.

So, come Malaysia there will be a clear running order for Friday.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 17:08 (Ref:523613)   #11
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If a driver is outside 107% in Friday qualifying, does he still get to qualify on Saturday? Just thinking if the weather comes into play on Saturday (ie if rain is expected late in the session), teams might start sandbagging on Friday so they can go out first on Saturday. If 107% rule doesn't matter on Friday, we could have teams battling to be the slowest?

Is this a possibility?
Old 3 Mar 2003, 18:02 (Ref:523655)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You would have to be able to predict the time of rain to within about 10 minutes 24 hours in advance. This is impossible.

If the rain came early and stopped before qualifying then going out late would be better.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 18:02 (Ref:523656)   #13
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
There is no 107% rule at all now - Friday or Saturday. Hence, I suppose it is technical - but, it may turn out to be a gamble if the rain comes early (ie before quals) or late (ie after quals) when you'll end up either first out on a 'green' track, first out on a wet track (thus, more likely to spin as you don't know where the puddles really are), or, first out on a drying track (in which case, you'll be slowest).
Given the 24 hour gap between the sessions, it won't be possible to predict when any rain will fall to a close enough time to 'place' yourself on Friday to avoid the rain.