Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Nov 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2573468)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tom Wheatcroft has died.

I'm very sad to read that Tom Wheatcroft has died.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79938

This news seems particularly sad, considering what has happened to Donington.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2573476)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I agree it's rather sad. RIP Mr Wheatcroft...
Old 1 Nov 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2573496)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It's really very, very sad. Tom was one of those larger than life characters and an incredible enthusiast.

His ambition was to have a Grand Prix at Donington and as we all know it happened in 1993 and Ayrton Senna won one of his most famous victories.

I think it cost Tom a seven figure sum to achieve that ambition, but he didn't begrudge a penny of it.

He had an inimitable guffaw that, if you were in the vicinity, you could hear from halfway across the room. British motorsport has suffered a great loss.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2573499)   #4
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Watching penguins in the South Atlantic
Ubique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Tom!

British motor sport has lost one of its truly great personalities, it's a sad day for Donington park and all of those involved with the circuit. As a member of the Donington Emergency Services Team I would like to pass on my condolences to Tom's family and also to thank him for providing such a fantastic circuit where I fell in love with motor sport and marshaling.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2573500)   #5
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad. Thoughts go out to friends and family.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2573502)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
A nice tribute from Martin Whitmarsh.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2573529)   #7
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another one of the old school has passed away. He will be much missed. RIP Tom.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2573535)   #8
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tom Whetcroft

I meet Tom Wheatcroft when my son was doing a Jim Russell couse at Donington in 1995. Tom was on some sort of pit lane garage inspection and I took the opportunity to speak to him. As an ordinary enthusiast, I was impressed that he stopped to chat, to me and my son.

You could always spot him on the road in his BRG coloured Audi, sporting his cherised V16 BRM number plate.

If fellow Tenthers, havn't yet read Tom's book 'Thunder in the Park' they should it's a real page turner, of real Boys Own fun stuff from start to finish! One little story, that somes up his mavorick character, was when he had just aquired Donington Park and was running his ex Nuvolari Maserati...a sitting tenant, came out of one of the makeshift workshops shouting at Tom..."If you don't switch off that noisey contraption, I'm going to demolish it"!...Tom, phoned one of his blokes to bring up a Bulldozer, and instructed his driver to bulldoze down all the workshops! adding to the shocked tenant..."I'm pretty good at demolishing things myself"!

A WW2 soldier, a post war house Builder, a collector of F1 racing cars, and the saviour of Donington Park, he has left his mark. God bless him.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 16:57 (Ref:2573536)   #9
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a sad loss.
One of the true great enthousiasts who has done so much for Motorsports.
Sad to know he had to live through the recent events at Donington.
RIP
Old 1 Nov 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2573545)   #10
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news, Tom will be greatly missed by those who knew him.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2573547)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Very sad, hopefully something good will come out of this.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2573551)   #12
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very sad to hear, rip tom.

would be a nice tribute to have a full working track now.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2573553)   #13
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Very sad news indeed, the man was a true motorsport enthusiast.
I think it's particularly sad that his passing has coincided with the terrible distruction of his beloved Donington Park race circuit.
Another big man who will be sorely missed.
RIP Tom Wheatcroft
Old 1 Nov 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2573557)   #14
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news indeed, as other have said, particularly with all the current shenanigans going on at the circuit.

A massive loss, as someone who has contributed a lot to British motorsport, whether it be restoring Donington, the superb museum or his help to young drivers like Derek Bell and Roger Williamson. RIP Mr Wheatcroft.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2573593)   #15
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very sad that he left us at a time when all he had achieved seemed to be ruined literally.

Simon Gillett has a lot to answer for.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2573642)   #16
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It jsut gets worse for Donington doesn't it? R.I.P.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2573645)   #17
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Tom

I remember being in the pitlane at Donington during a VSCC meeting. In a garage was a chap in a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up working on an oily engine. The shirt had oil all down the front, when the chap stood up up he had the biggest grin on his face. It was Uncle Tom, he was in his element like a kid in a sweet shop.

I was also lucky enough to be given a guided tour of the Donington Collection by Tom, I tried to take a photo of a car but the rope was getting in the way, so I looked around and said to Tom, "Do you think anyone will mind if we move the rope", he replied "I think it will be ok, but don't tell anyone" and then let out that distinctive laugh.

Thanks for all the good times Tom.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2573661)   #18
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
My deepest condolences to all the family. He will be much missed by every real racing enthusiast.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2573663)   #19
BuiltForSpeed
Rookie

BuiltForSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing whatsoever on the Donington website for poor old Tom. Plenty still about Formula One and 'sharing our vision' though, despite everything. Shameful.

RIP Tom - a good man.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 22:39 (Ref:2573766)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Everyone here has rightly been very respectful of Tom and mourned his loss, but for anyone who doesn't perhaps know his full story it's worth reading this.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2573958)   #21
Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now with old pal Roger Williamson.
Farewell Tom Wheatcroft.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 10:13 (Ref:2573991)   #22
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sad day indeed.
Tom Wheatcroft was what Motorsport was all about.
He'll be greatly missed.

Sincere sympathies
Old 2 Nov 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2573997)   #23
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This big guy was able to fund his passion and did so to the benefit of all enthusiasts, not just for himself. His investment on the racing car collection allows us all to see cars that we have marvelled at on the track and his rebuilding of Donington created the UK's best circuit that is loved by drivers and fans. You can actually watch the cars through long sections of the track because of the bowl through which it runs and seeing top drivers come down the Craner Curves, through the Old Hairpin and up the hill is one of the best views I know.
Tom Wheatcroft was the epitome of the true enthusiast who shared his love of the sport with us all, thanks Tom for all you did

RIP
Old 2 Nov 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2574023)   #24
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All of us who have enjoyed racing at Donington owed Tom a huge debt of thanks. Such a pity he didn't live to see the current mess -- literally -- sorted out. RIP, and sympathy to his family.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2574063)   #25
JEP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
JEP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very sorry to hear of Tom's death.

I attended the first race meetings at Donington in 1977 and in 1978 joined the BMMC and volunteered with the Donington ES Team. If Tom had not re-opened Donington Park my life would have been the poorer; his actions led to me meeting through marshalling, some of my best friends and until ill health curtailed my marshalling in 2005 I had many happy days on the "bank." He always had an "owdo" for you if you saw him in the paddock.

It's a shame that he had to see Gillett ruin what he and his family had strived to create. Hopefully the family will regain control of Donington Park and make it into a fitting tribute to a true enthusiast and gentleman.

R.I.P Tom.