Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jan 2015, 15:55 (Ref:3493834)   #1
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Veggie McQueen: The Man & Le Mans (documentary)

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...he-man-le-mans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEIE-FwgPWQ

It seems to be more about McQueen's personal (marriage) and production related struggles around that time. Which is probably a way more interesting point of view for a doc than some kind of a more typical "making of a movie" glorification.

Last edited by deggis; 18 Jan 2015 at 16:10.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3493839)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well something to look forward to and if they do some of the filming at Le mans a few of us might even get in on the act
Old 18 Jan 2015, 16:45 (Ref:3493846)   #3
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Given how cracking a read "A French Kiss with Death" is I suspect this could make for a great film - especially if it can capture some of the Cinema Verite look Keyser got.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3493851)   #4
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
About time someone decided to make proper companion for the greatest racing flick of all time. Looking forward to it
Old 19 Jan 2015, 14:04 (Ref:3494095)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's already a 'making of' DVD - called 'Behind Le Mans' or 'The Making of Le Mans'. I have a copy signed by Vic Elford.
Old 21 Jan 2015, 00:54 (Ref:3494652)   #6
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
This is good news. As isygne says, the book is a great read. If they can get close to that with this documentiary, that would be something.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 20:07 (Ref:3495255)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Absolutely. If anyone here hasn't read the book - it really is essential reading for any Le Mans addict.....
Old 22 Jan 2015, 23:18 (Ref:3495341)   #8
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Duely noted. Something to order on Amaebayzon after I've finished reading about Ford vs. Ferrari in the '60s.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 23:41 (Ref:3495350)   #9
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Duely noted. Something to order on Amaebayzon after I've finished reading about Ford vs. Ferrari in the '60s.
Be warned, if it's anything like my copy, it's not especially portable.

OT - do we need a thread on Le Mans related reading lists or is there one going on somewhere I haven't picked up on?
Old 23 Jan 2015, 09:29 (Ref:3495465)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I suspect there may be one buried in 'Armchair Ian.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3497921)   #11
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I suspect there may be one buried in 'Armchair Ian.
If there isn't a list an absolute must for any sportscar fan is 'racing in the rain' by John Horsman, a fantastic read with excellent photos. Its about as portable as 'a french kiss with death' though , both not small books.
Old 28 Jan 2015, 12:07 (Ref:3498245)   #12
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
John Horsman's Racing in the Rain is essential reading for sportscar racing enthusiasts, as is John Wyer's The Certain Sound. Both are out of print and expensive, even second hand. I'm not parting with my copies!

Anthony Pritchard's Ford Versus Ferrari: The Battle for Le Mans and sports car supremacy is currently available at around £14.95 through Amazon sellers and is packed full of really good photos and Pritchard is always worth reading. I particularly recommend Learnearly Books via Amazon - my copy, perfectly wrapped arrived in France 3 days after I ordered it.

Hardcore book collectors like me will have all the Quentin Spurring Le Mans by the decade books - a detailed record of every race since 1949 in five volumes so far. I also have the ACO official history of the race in 3 volumes up to 2010 - very detailed, very heavy and very hard to find now.

Ian Wagstaff's The British at Le Mans is a fascinating and worthwhile read, which can be found "as new" for well under the £40.00 Amazon price.
Old 28 Jan 2015, 12:39 (Ref:3498253)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I have Ford v. Ferrari - a great read. Still have my copy of The Certain Sound, although I've not read it for some years. It's not an easy read, Wyer's style of writing is quite hard work, but ultimately its rewarding to persevere with it.....
Old 28 Jan 2015, 14:29 (Ref:3498272)   #14
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
John Horsman's Racing in the Rain is essential reading for sportscar racing enthusiasts, as is John Wyer's The Certain Sound. Both are out of print and expensive, even second hand. I'm not parting with my copies!

Anthony Pritchard's Ford Versus Ferrari: The Battle for Le Mans and sports car supremacy is currently available at around £14.95 through Amazon sellers and is packed full of really good photos and Pritchard is always worth reading. I particularly recommend Learnearly Books via Amazon - my copy, perfectly wrapped arrived in France 3 days after I ordered it.

Hardcore book collectors like me will have all the Quentin Spurring Le Mans by the decade books - a detailed record of every race since 1949 in five volumes so far. I also have the ACO official history of the race in 3 volumes up to 2010 - very detailed, very heavy and very hard to find now.

Ian Wagstaff's The British at Le Mans is a fascinating and worthwhile read, which can be found "as new" for well under the £40.00 Amazon price.
I'm a big fan of "Racing in the Rain" - superbly written, beautifully illustrated, and genuinely informative.

Again from David Bull, and very good, is Vic Elford's autobiography. I've also got a huge soft spot for Gordon Spice's "Life of Spice", which is enormously entertaining about a wonderful era for the sport.
Old 28 Jan 2015, 14:59 (Ref:3498281)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I'm a big fan of "Racing in the Rain" - superbly written, beautifully illustrated, and genuinely informative.

Again from David Bull, and very good, is Vic Elford's autobiography. I've also got a huge soft spot for Gordon Spice's "Life of Spice", which is enormously entertaining about a wonderful era for the sport.
I too thoroughly enjoyed that book, but I am also a fan of the author, Jeremy Walton. I really enjoyed Both of his books about (my boyhood hero) Gerry Marshall, he seems very good making you feel like you're there when reading his descriptions. (He's even written a very entertaining motor-sport related novel available as a download from Amazon!)
Old 29 Jan 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3498758)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:

You mean this one, Ian?

http://www.harpercollins.com/9780062...ng-in-the-rain
Old 29 Jan 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3498760)   #17
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I don't, perhaps predictably I mean this one (and ouch about the price), but I do recall that Tom Kjos who used to write for DSC and was maybe better known as Murphy the Bear thought very highly of the Garth Stein book.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 17:11 (Ref:3498786)   #18
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I don't, perhaps predictably I mean this one (and ouch about the price), but I do recall that Tom Kjos who used to write for DSC and was maybe better known as Murphy the Bear thought very highly of the Garth Stein book.
I have read it - but it is not a racing book ... but it is a fun read.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 21:04 (Ref:3498872)   #19
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have Brian Laban's book Le Mans 24 Hours and have found it very informative history of the race but is not as large or detailed as some of those mentioned above but has plenty of good pictures as well.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 12:10 (Ref:3501305)   #20
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely. If anyone here hasn't read the book - it really is essential reading for any Le Mans addict.....
Great *pulls out credit card*.

Hope it's as good as Go Like Hell, which is utterly gripping.
Old 15 May 2015, 13:06 (Ref:3537726)   #21
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Variety magazine has been given exclusive access to “Steve McQueen: The Man & Le Mans,” which world premieres on Saturday in the Cannes Film Festival’s Cannes Classics section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J--qlcVaTYM
Old 15 May 2015, 14:04 (Ref:3537736)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
a nice taster of things to come
Old 15 May 2015, 17:44 (Ref:3537800)   #23
deggis
Veteran

Finland
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-10245389.html

Quote:
It had been claimed that well over a million feet of film were shot by McQueen and his team during the making of Le Mans. There were issues with the storyline and script during production, and as they waited for these to be resolved, the film-makers kept shooting and shooting. They were filming during the actual Le Mans race with multiple cameras – and seemingly with little thought as to how their hours and hours of footage were actually going to be incorporated into the movie.

---

The real "holy grail", though, was the discovery of out-takes footage. "We spoke to family, to people who had worked on this project. As far as they were concerned, this film didn't exist," Clarke recalls. There was "a vague lead" to a disused warehouse in New Jersey. Some contacts suggested that the rushes might be in private collections in South America. (McQueen memorabilia remains highly sought after there.)

Clarke and McKenna just happened to make a late night call to an editor in Los Angeles. An email came back saying that "hidden beneath a sound stage and covered in dust, we found between 400 and 600 boxes of film." Miraculously, the rushes had survived intact. The first box the film-makers looked at contained material from the camera car. "It was just inspiring to look at," Clarke says. "McQueen wanted a camera car – a car that was racing in Le Mans and from which they could use the footage to put across the authenticity of the driver during the race."
Old 15 May 2015, 21:34 (Ref:3537855)   #24
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Jim Craik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really enjoyed "French Kiss With Death" it is a great read....The down side is that you will see what kind of guy McQueen really was....
Old 16 May 2015, 10:58 (Ref:3538006)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
There's already a 'making of' DVD - called 'Behind Le Mans' or 'The Making of Le Mans'. I have a copy signed by Vic Elford.
This one.....
Attached Thumbnails
behindlemans.jpg