Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Jul 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1649541)   #1
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Minimum of 20 cars for Croft

With the recent announcement of Erkut Kizilrmak and Eoin Murrays entries for Croft, that brings the entry to at least 20 cars for the first time since the end of 2004
Old 6 Jul 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1649577)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Certainly good news for the struggling BTCC.

However as soon as cars arrive, they can disappear. The stability of the teams are about as steady as my old gran after half a bottle of port.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1649586)   #3
Alfa Fan
Veteran

The last car to withdraw during a season was in 2004, so I don't understand what you mean by them "disappearing"
Old 6 Jul 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1649727)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably related to the strong lack of them able to appear in the first place in 2005.

Also, reliability and other issues has seen drivers such as Bell, Proctor & Mark Smith unable to take part in some races even this year
Old 6 Jul 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1649818)   #5
boycie
Racer

boycie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
regardless of these privateer entries, i agree with 'the monster' the btcc is struggling. the championship needs manufacturers, end of story.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1649926)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The switch to WTCC-spec cars only needs to be successful in dragging teams back. Motor racing is often cyclical between international and local championships, and currently it is the WTCC which is attracting companies, allowing them to promote their cars over a wide area. I was watching the 1995 BTCC video the other day and it occurred to me how many of the drivers are now WTCC regulars. On the other hand, the current BTCC is competitve, with Halford, SEAT, VXR and WSR all challenging for wins.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 06:54 (Ref:1650044)   #7
boycie
Racer

but to the outside world, the man on the street, it isn't all that popular and that's what the btcc really needs.

there is an element of competitiveness back but it needs to gain widespread appeal again and, so far, that isn't happening.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1650205)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The BTCC used to feel like an international series back in 1993 - 1999, massive crowds, international drivers, decent manufacturer support, good but not great TV coverage.

To me, the BTCC now is like any other national series, albeit a slightly higher profile one.
I haven't attended a BTCC race since 2000, the BTC cars just don't do it for me, and the driving standards are atrocious.

The WTCC cars, although the same speed as the BTC cars, are much better to look at and have the appearance of genuine touring cars as opposed to something that someone has cobbled together in a residential garage. The rear wings have always been a joke imo, they are just totally disproportionate for the size and type of car.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1650275)   #9
boycie
Racer

you're absolutely spot on with that monster.

i wish more people would be honest like this, the btcc is a shadow of its former self for many reasons as you've pointed out.

as you rightly say, the championship is now little above something like seat cupra in many respects. there's a huge way to go before it gets anywhere close to what it once was.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1650294)   #10
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycie

as you rightly say, the championship is now little above something like seat cupra in many respects.

Except its a couple of seconds a lap quicker everywhere - oh yes and about 3 times the cost
Old 7 Jul 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1650310)   #11
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe I'm going to say this but I agree with boycie.

There's no wow factor to the championship like there once was, the cars sounds like hairdryers, the grid is made up of mostly pay drivers and the whole series lacks a certain buzz like it had in the 90's.

The DTM race last weekend was a prime example. The race may not have been quite as exciting as a BTCC one would have been on the same track but the site and sound of those cars and the level of driver talent would give a greater experience to a spectator than the BTCC. The spectacle is just that much greater.

The WTCC again I would question if it produces racing as good as the BTCC but the driver talent, the manufacturers and the whole show make for a better spectacle and a feeling that you aren't just attending an oversized club meeting.

The BTCC needs manufacturers, it needs exciting sounding/looking cars and it needs a high quality field. However much I commend the efforts of the Smiths, Proctors, Leggate's and Bell's of this world really they add nothing to the spectacle and are winding up making up the numbers. In some cases it could be said they lessen the spectacle by being so far off the pace.

All this is well and good and the shift to WTCC rules is a step in the right direction but for aslong as the BTCC has a clashing calendar with WTCC the majority of top line drivers will race in that series leaving the BTCC to pick up the pieces.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1650324)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As much as I agree with many of the points in the posts, this is really old ground guys. We've been having this discussion since the end of 2000!

It is a positive thing that Eoin Murray is bringing his Alfa to race in the series, I certainly look forward to what I hope is a more competitive 156 than In Front's version.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1650441)   #13
boycie
Racer

eoin is a great driver and i'm delighted to see him back in the uk. he was a very good peddler in clios and i'm certain he will give the midfield a very hard time indeed.

as has been said, you can only start to judge what the car is capable of when this daft ballast is removed after croft
Old 8 Jul 2006, 12:10 (Ref:1650806)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will be interesting to see what happens in 2007, so far there are no real murmurings of any factory teams putting BTCC packages together for next year, and it's a shame the ex-works Vauxhalls will be useless. The WTCC is fairly close, but the national constructor teams lack charisma and have some dull colour schemes.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 01:30 (Ref:1651091)   #15
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
There's no wow factor to the championship like there once was, the cars sounds like hairdryers, the grid is made up of mostly pay drivers and the whole series lacks a certain buzz like it had in the 90's.

The DTM race last weekend was a prime example...The spectacle is just that much greater.
Perhaps I'm naive,shallow or already brainwashed by marketers, but do you find the DTM and old ST days better b/c the sponsors are more recognizable? We all recognize Bosch,Veltins and Vodafone rather than these small mom/pop sponsors you now see in the BTCC. While to be fair to the BTCC, there are recognizable "big name" sponsors, thery're not occupying the title sponsor, but associate sponsor positions.

For me, I don't like the racing in Nascar, but I am mesmerized by all the big name companies that sponsor it? Generally, their colours are bright as well. I think the TC2000 has really nice and colourful paint schemes.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1651194)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is Dunlop not a big enough name for title sponsor then ?

Halfords and RAC are two big companies here and they're involvement is pretty major.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1651316)   #17
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Dunlop
Halfords
RAC
Holiday Inn
Castrol

All big names I think?
Old 9 Jul 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1651350)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
RAC and Halfords, for example, may be household names here but not on the same global scale as Bosch or Vodaphone, which is probably why km isn't that familar with them.

One interesting thing to note is that, Holiday Inn aside, they are all motoring related companies. Nascar is able to attract more non-motoring 'household band names' such as Kelloggs Corn Flakes, M&Ms and Pepsi - that mainly due the way that Nascar is more part of the American culture than motorsport will ever be here.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 15:38 (Ref:1651356)   #19
Alfa Fan
Veteran

You can't truely compare NASCAR and BTCC. They're worlds apart. In terms of sponsorship, NASCARs ahead of even Formula 1.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1651408)   #20
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sponsorship I guess does add to the spectacle but its not something that goes towards the appeal for me - I consider myself to much of a hardcore race fan to be heavily influenced by that but I guess in general terms it does help and I agree with redshoes' sentiments.

If you see or here a DTM car you think wow! if you see a WTCC car its instantly recognisble with the latest showroom models if you see/hear a BTCC car you aren't exactly enthralled - its like, oh there he goes again.

For me its more about the personalites though, I'm lured to championships by the quality of the driver more than anything and I'm afraid bar about 3-4 names the BTCC has very few drivers that could compete competitively in the DTM/WTCC.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 21:17 (Ref:1651739)   #21
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
RAC and Halfords, for example, may be household names here but not on the same global scale as Bosch or Vodaphone, which is probably why km isn't that familar with them.
A mix of global and national companies are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
One interesting thing to note is that, Holiday Inn aside, they are all motoring related companies. Nascar is able to attract more non-motoring 'household band names' such as Kelloggs Corn Flakes, M&Ms and Pepsi - that mainly due the way that Nascar is more part of the American culture than motorsport will ever be here.
I was extremely encouraged when Renault picked up Sega and Nescafe! I think Redshoes hit the nail. But it's all marketing? I guess the BTCC doesn't hold the nation together Nascar does! A real shame. As well, there are too many motorsport series in the UK? The STCC seems to be the national motorsport series of Sweden now?
Old 11 Jul 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1653269)   #22
sharpy
Racer

United Kingdom
Newcastle
sharpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did someone mention about a possible 3rd MG and TD Integra at Croft?

I know its probably too close to weekend for this to happen now but does anyone know about it?
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1655665)   #23
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpy
Did someone mention about a possible 3rd MG and TD Integra at Croft?

I know its probably too close to weekend for this to happen now but does anyone know about it?
Not going to happen.