Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Jan 2007, 22:54 (Ref:1826868)   #1
B!tchie Renault
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
B!tchie Renault should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VZ Commodores for 2007

I have just read the the current Auto Action that the VZ will race in the main series in an unchanged specification to 2006, but TEGA will keep an eye on the situation and adjust if necessary.

I am still wondering if we will see all these new VE Commodores on the grid for Round 1 in 2007. It would not surprise me to see more VZ commodores starting the season than already mentioned.

What also baffles me is why there were so many new VZ Commodores built in the 2006 season that will only have a life of 1 year.

HRT/HSVDT built chassis 052 (Rick Kelly's car) & 053 (Mark Skaife's car) at the start of 2006, and chassis 054 midway throughout the year. This car in fact has only done 2 race meetings.

Tasman built chassis TM03 and debuted it at Round 11 of 2006.

Perkins Engineering built PE045 at the start of 2006 (Richards' car).

Garry Rogers, Paul Morris & PWR did not build new cars this year. IN fact PWR cars are at least 4 years old. Yet Garry Rogers and Paul Morris will field only 1 VE and 1 VZ for the start of the year.

What would be funnier is to see Holdsworth, Coulthard and Owen the fastest 3 Commodores on the grid showing up the VE Commodore (so much for their 'Car of the Year'). That would give the Holden exec some heartache.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 23:24 (Ref:1826889)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tchie Renault
What would be funnier is to see Holdsworth, Coulthard and Owen the fastest 3 Commodores on the grid showing up the VE Commodore (so much for their 'Car of the Year'). That would give the Holden exec some heartache.
It would be great to see But somehow the parity police would nobble them to stop it happening in more than one round
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jan 2007, 08:01 (Ref:1826998)   #3
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought TEGA had gone beyond the Procar style make them appear equal rubbish, to let's actually make them equal: same aero numbers, same suspension, same dimensions, very similar engines etc. So why a departure with the VZ? Sounds like nonsense, when they could easily make sure the VZ has the correct 2007 spec aero numbers rather than advantaged numbers, simply be implementing a new bodykit.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 08:41 (Ref:1827009)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just as with PROCAR, the parity police have to manage the driver input into the process as well.

From memory the last parity rules required a number of cars of the same model to be measured before a parity change would be implemented. With just 3 in the mix in 2007, if one of the three does not have a good weekend, which happened on occassion for these 3 in 2006, then the aggregate results will be too skewed to impress a change, or indeed if they slim down the sample size, will get just as slanted a result.

It isnt an easy fix once the season starts, but as WebberForWDC suggests, the TEGA titans should be making sure the ducks are all in a row.

I mean can you imagine the uproar if say HRT were to operate the #22 car as a full house VZ, without an aero reduction... with 4 cars then in the mix, there will still be some disparity between the performances... while the quickest car in the field specification wise would in theory be that #22 VZ
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jan 2007, 09:05 (Ref:1827020)   #5
B!tchie Renault
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
That is exactly my point, and by the time there is a change to the aero package for the VZs say at round 4, car 22 has won the first 3 rounds and has a 50 point lead in the championship.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 23:17 (Ref:1827501)   #6
hrt_rulz01
Racer

Australia
Australia
hrt_rulz01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from what ive read, there will only be a few VZs in use at clipsal. holdsworth, coulthard & owen are the only ones, from what i understand, that are going to use VZs. the rest will have new cars so there shouldnt be any worries...
Old 28 Jan 2007, 09:24 (Ref:1827645)   #7
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't Bargwanna and Wilson going to be in VZ's?

Old 28 Jan 2007, 09:43 (Ref:1827653)   #8
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt_rulz01
from what ive read, there will only be a few VZs in use at clipsal. holdsworth, coulthard & owen are the only ones, from what i understand, that are going to use VZs. the rest will have new cars so there shouldnt be any worries...
Might put few bob on Owen for Clipsal
Old 28 Jan 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1827668)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
cause he has such a good record there
Old 28 Jan 2007, 23:55 (Ref:1828213)   #10
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't that depend on the weather?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 00:26 (Ref:1828228)   #11
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Add the Walden's to that (if they get approval from Tega), WPS racing (someone said this earlier. is it true?) and I would'nt be suprised if the likes of Tasman and Perkins claimed one of their VE's is'nt ready for Clipsal.

Regardless of who is still running VZ’s (ie. Backmarkers/midpack runners) there is still an advantage. Although some people may not agree but I think the BA and VY/VZ were about as even as you could get. So if TEGA felt that the BA would have an advantage over the BF and VE, which have reduced aero then why not the VZ, which was matched to the BA.
Potentially teams still running VZ’s will be getting better results than they would if their car was matched. So where’s the incentive for smaller under funded teams to upgrade if they know their old nail is a better package.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 01:21 (Ref:1828245)   #12
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course, Perkins is always a late adopter...

Amazing that there always seems to be something to jump up and down about for the parity bleaters.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 01:41 (Ref:1828257)   #13
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Amazing that there always seems to be something to jump up and down about for the parity bleaters.
I don't think parity is going to be a big issue this year (unless the powers to be have messed up the BF and VE) as the teams still running VZ's aren’t going to be troubling the likes of HRT, HSVDT, 888, FPR and SBR. But people are wondering why the BA is banned and the VZ untouched, now TEGA finally come out and say we'll keep an eye on the VZ and review it.

So roles reversed and it was Ford introducing a new car this would be a non issue for you?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 05:53 (Ref:1828296)   #14
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So there's a new "blueprint" spec for BF and VE, so why should Autobarn racing be allowed to continue with better numbers just because they are aren't the Holden Racing Team. On this basis Brad Jones can continue with the BA downforce levels as the front runners aren't worried 'bout him either?

What's to stop Autobarn from trading in the PMM Vy/z for a HRT unit and they run away with Clipsal, depending on opinions of Owen's driving?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 09:00 (Ref:1828374)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Of course, Perkins is always a late adopter...

well yes is he is, history strongly points to him being a late adopter, 7 rounds in before he adopted the aurora and vy of the time at least a year before he changed from holden to chev, was driving the old vp around when the other teams had moved up to the next model. except for once he did get the vt online at the beginning, but his history points to him being a latre adopter
Old 29 Jan 2007, 12:26 (Ref:1828523)   #16
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
well yes is he is, history strongly points to him being a late adopter, 7 rounds in before he adopted the aurora and vy of the time at least a year before he changed from holden to chev, was driving the old vp around when the other teams had moved up to the next model. except for once he did get the vt online at the beginning, but his history points to him being a latre adopter
Can't really fault Perkins logic in being a late adopter. For the 92 enduros the proven VL was rolled out rather than a new VP, claiming a Sandown 500 win and Bathurst front row start. For Bathurst 93 he stuck to the Holden V8 and by dint of fuel economy was able to beat the Gibson Motorsport Chev by making one less stop.

In 95 Perkins was actually debuted the first to debut a VR and won the opening round of the championship. Then for Bathurst 96 a VR was converted back to VP specs in order to circumvent a change to the aerodynamics change, didn’t really work as the Dunlops were light years behind Bridgestone at this time.

In 98 he debuted a VT as soon as it was eligible, although with hindsight this was a mistake as initially it was significantly slower at Bathurst than the VS and perhaps was the difference between 1st and 2nd that year.

In 03 Perkins continued to field the Dumbrell car in VX specs and based on the number of times it needed to be rebuilt, it was just as well LP had a sizeable spares stockpile.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1829321)   #17
6th Gear
Racer

Australia
Townsville, QLD
6th Gear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA
I would'nt be suprised if the likes of Tasman and Perkins claimed one of their VE's is'nt ready for Clipsal.
Larry? Not having a brand new model ready? Get out of here......I though he still ran VT's?
Old 30 Jan 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1829372)   #18
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901
In 98 he debuted a VT as soon as it was eligible, although with hindsight this was a mistake as initially it was significantly slower at Bathurst than the VS and perhaps was the difference between 1st and 2nd that year.
The Perkins VT was significantly slower than what VS? The #1 HRT VT (on Bridgestones) was a rocket at Bathurst in 98, so I don't think there was anything wrong with the VT package at all. I seriously doubt a Dunlop shod Perkins VS would have been quicker than a Dunlop Perkins VT. Of course I can't prove that, but I think the brand of tyre for Perkins was more the difference between 1st and 2nd that year than the model of car.........

Also, to add to your post, Perkins continued to run Richards and Dumbrell as VYs in 2005 for several rounds until updating them to VZ.

Anyhow, I think we will see Shane in a VE in Adelaide and Jack with VZ, but I don't think this has been confirmed anywhere yet.

Last edited by 00 XR8; 30 Jan 2007 at 12:24.
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 02:39 (Ref:1829848)   #19
Caltex Racing
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Caltex Racing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XR8
The Perkins VT was significantly slower than what VS? The #1 HRT VT (on Bridgestones) was a rocket at Bathurst in 98, so I don't think there was anything wrong with the VT package at all. I seriously doubt a Dunlop shod Perkins VS would have been quicker than a Dunlop Perkins VT. Of course I can't prove that, but I think the brand of tyre for Perkins was more the difference between 1st and 2nd that year than the model of car.........

Also, to add to your post, Perkins continued to run Richards and Dumbrell as VYs in 2005 for several rounds until updating them to VZ.

Anyhow, I think we will see Shane in a VE in Adelaide and Jack with VZ, but I don't think this has been confirmed anywhere yet.
I think they both are using the VE.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 22:37 (Ref:1830659)   #20
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA
So roles reversed and it was Ford introducing a new car this would be a non issue for you?
Well you're asking someone who thinks that blueprint and parity are a load of nonsense. It should, of course, be about which manufacturer can produce the best car - regardless of whether it is Holden or Ford.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 23:21 (Ref:1830686)   #21
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Well you're asking someone who thinks that blueprint and parity are a load of nonsense. It should, of course, be about which manufacturer can produce the best car - regardless of whether it is Holden or Ford.
Once a car is modified in any way it is no longer a case of which manufacturer can produce the best car. V8 Supercars are in the end no way a Holden or Ford manufactured car.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 03:34 (Ref:1835097)   #22
B!tchie Renault
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Just read in today's AutoAction that PWR will not have both their VE Commodores built in time for Clipsal. Surprise Surprise, so McConville will start the season in his VZ Commodore that has not had an aero adjustment from 2006, compared to the aero limited VE Commodore and BF Falcon.

How many more Holden teams will have 'build delays'.

Shame VESA Shame.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1836752)   #23
barney551
Veteran

barney551 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is it VESA's fault????
Old 8 Feb 2007, 23:24 (Ref:1836851)   #24
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Once a car is modified in any way it is no longer a case of which manufacturer can produce the best car.
Not if the modifications are controlled, surely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
V8 Supercars are in the end no way a Holden or Ford manufactured car.
In terms of performance, of course they aren't! I am not delusional.

Old 8 Feb 2007, 23:35 (Ref:1836857)   #25
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tchie Renault
Just read in today's AutoAction that PWR will not have both their VE Commodores built in time for Clipsal. Surprise Surprise, so McConville will start the season in his VZ Commodore that has not had an aero adjustment from 2006, compared to the aero limited VE Commodore and BF Falcon.

How many more Holden teams will have 'build delays'.

Shame VESA Shame.
If you knew how hard the teams are working to get the cars ready you might think differently. Not everything is a conspiracy.