Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Apr 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2187325)   #26
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yeah I guess that would work well.

Back to curent available cars and paticularly Astons either doing naff all or other series am I right in thinking there's:
1x Phoenix
2x Prodrive
2x BMS
1x Hardman (can't recall team name)
Old 26 Apr 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2187434)   #27
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1 power, GT2 Aero?
Old 26 Apr 2008, 14:57 (Ref:2187475)   #28
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
..and rules making turbo's competitive for engines below...say...4L.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2187477)   #29
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
how about 650hp, 600 lb/ft flat rate, and it don't matter how you make it.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2187487)   #30
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right on!!!
Old 26 Apr 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2187559)   #31
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Yeah I guess that would work well.

Back to curent available cars and paticularly Astons either doing naff all or other series am I right in thinking there's:
1x Hardman (can't recall team name)
Strakka Racing- they're doing 3 LMS races (Spa, Nurburgring, Silverstone) with the Aston and the Peroni series in Italy with a BMW M3
Old 26 Apr 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2187680)   #32
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
how about 650hp, 600 lb/ft flat rate, and it don't matter how you make it.
Other way around 600 hp and 650 lb/ft torque
Old 26 Apr 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2187692)   #33
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem is if your a manufactuer and want a big budget, big power, high tech car, you'll enter P1.

If you want to race your road going car, you'll enter GT2, a class that allows cars in pretty standard trim, yet are only 3-4 seconds slower than silhouette GT1's.

Right now no GT car looks better than the wide bodied Porsche 997 GT3 or concept BMW M3 GTR.

If you had a single GT class, that would give the ACO scope to increase GT2 restrictors by 5%, and reduce weight by 50kg-100kg.

You'd instantly gain 1-1.5 seconds a lap and have half a dozen plus manufactuer backed cars.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2187694)   #34
fish88
Racer

Netherlands
fish88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Right now no GT car looks better thanthe wide 997 or concept BMW M3 GTR.
Can't agree with that, all the current GT1 cars look better IMO (c6r, mc12, db9 and saleen)
Old 26 Apr 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2187699)   #35
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish88
Can't agree with that, all the current GT1 cars look better IMO (c6r, mc12, db9 and saleen)
I agree here

the 997 RSR still like a 911 on steroids
Old 26 Apr 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2187708)   #36
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish88
i agree as well, the GT2 cars do look nice but they only look like tarted up road cars, same with the GT3 cars apart from the morgan, the GT1 cars look like proper racers especially the maserti MC12 GT1 and saleen S7R, over time ive come to see the DBR9 is a lovely looking car but it seems awkward i think, its short over hangs and shortish wheelbase and the big wings make it look a little awkward, same with the C6R, the lambo is guilty of the same as well as is the F430.

the only elegant GT1 cars are the saleen and maserati MC12 GT, the rest look fabulous but quite awkward.

personally i see no reason to get rid of GT1, the cars look great, sound even better, theyre very fast, they are spectacular to watch as well, particularly the saleen and maserati's bobbing around and moving around a lot, why fix something if it aint broken?

the ALMS is struggling with GT1 simply because what chance is their of beating the factory corvette's on home turf? not a very good one thats for sure. Im a bit baffled as to why the LMS is strugglging for entries in GT1, this may have something to do with a heavily subscribed LMP1, LMP2 and GT2 for this year, sqeezing entries in GT1.

whilst in the FIA GT, GT1 is fine and healthy, the citation cup is a bit of a mess at the moment, doesnt seem to be doing what it was suposed to do but the rest of GT1 is very healthy in the FIA GT, we have top teams and top drivers and the cars are epic on every level.

lets hope GT2 doesnt replace GT1, the GT2 cars dont do it for me like the GT1 cars do, yes the porsche's and ferrari's are wonderful racers, but i cant compare a F430 GT or 997 RSR to a MC12 GT1 or a DBR9 or a saleen on a banzai flying lap.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2188117)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good points raised, about 2010 stuff, but back to the thread topic.......
Old 27 Apr 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2188149)   #38
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
maserti MC12 GT1 and saleen S7R,
One problem, they aren't true GT cars, they're homologation specials that have more in common, concept wise, with a Peugeot 908 or Lola Aston Martin.

MC12, CLK-GTR, 911 GT1 type cars have evolved into LMP1, they don't have a place in GT.

Cars such as the 997, C6, 430, M3 GTR, Spyker etc are GT cars manufactuers sell, if you don't like them, GT racings not for you.

I lost enthusiasm for GT racing when the CLK-GTR's etc. left, for you it seems it will be when current GT1's kick the bucket.

These days my two favourite classes are LMP1 and GT2, the P1 coupes have Group C and GT1 'era DNA, while GT2 cars are the complete opposite, true roadcars.

For GT racing to thrive they need major manufactuers, GT1 relies too much on boutique manufactuers who don't have the funds to compete on a par with Corvette, even Aston Martin.

Last edited by JAG; 27 Apr 2008 at 14:06.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 14:52 (Ref:2188219)   #39
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
personally i see no reason to get rid of GT1, the cars look great, sound even better, theyre very fast, they are spectacular to watch as well, particularly the saleen and maserati's bobbing around and moving around a lot, why fix something if it aint broken?

the ALMS is struggling with GT1 simply because what chance is their of beating the factory corvette's on home turf? not a very good one thats for sure. Im a bit baffled as to why the LMS is strugglging for entries in GT1, this may have something to do with a heavily subscribed LMP1, LMP2 and GT2 for this year, sqeezing entries in GT1.

whilst in the FIA GT, GT1 is fine and healthy, the citation cup is a bit of a mess at the moment, doesnt seem to be doing what it was suposed to do but the rest of GT1 is very healthy in the FIA GT, we have top teams and top drivers and the cars are epic on every level.

lets hope GT2 doesnt replace GT1, the GT2 cars dont do it for me like the GT1 cars do, yes the porsche's and ferrari's are wonderful racers, but i cant compare a F430 GT or 997 RSR to a MC12 GT1 or a DBR9 or a saleen on a banzai flying lap.
Much as I love the GT1 cars, I thnk GT1 is VERY broken right now. Apart from P&M building new chassis for the C6R programme each year, (or maybe new Lambo chassis from Reiter?) can you name a single NEW GT1 car that's appeared this year? AFAIK even the Bell Aston in ALMS is a 2005/6 car owned by a collector that hadn't been raced until now.

Even in FIA GT, all we're seeing is the same few cars passed on to new owners, and that's not a healthy basis for a championship. Unless a manufacturer announces a new GT1 project in the near future, then I really think it's a dying class. Just how long can we carry on with aging MC12s, Astons, Saleens etc? I reckon GT1 in the LMS is struggling not just because it's being squeezed by heavily over-subscribed LMP and GT2 classes, but because there aren't actually all that many competitive cars available....
Old 27 Apr 2008, 15:45 (Ref:2188308)   #40
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Even in FIA GT, all we're seeing is the same few cars passed on to new owners, and that's not a healthy basis for a championship. Unless a manufacturer announces a new GT1 project in the near future, then I really think it's a dying class.
Of course it is right now. Why would anyone build anything new for a class that might be killed off soon? I'm sure there would be new cars if the manufacturers could be sure the class stays.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 16:48 (Ref:2188370)   #41
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Thanks Dead Eye. You're reiterating a point i've made before- until we have rules stabiltity, we won't get new cars.