Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Mar 2016, 11:30 (Ref:3628997)   #1
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Alonso to miss Bahrain GP

Alonso has been ruled out of racing on medical grounds following his crash at Melbourne.

Stoffel Vandoorner will sub.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3629000)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Deja vu for Alonso after missing the Aussie GP last year due to injury

This should be a career defining race for Vandoorne.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 11:47 (Ref:3629002)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
obviously a bit gutted for alonso but absolutely over the moon for stoffel. he's just THAT good.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 12:58 (Ref:3629023)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's great to see the fantastic Stoffel Vandoorne get his chance, because I was disappointed he didn't get to make the step up this year. I hope he gets a fair shake and chance to show what he can do, because it could keep him in the frame for future Formula 1. This will be one of the things to follow.

Not good for Fernando of course, but it's a relief to see that he only sustained a fractured rib (and fractured seat I read) in that.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 15:54 (Ref:3629058)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'm not known for my love of the Spaniard but it's a shame he's injured. Mind you, fractured ribs and a pneumothorax is a relatively light price to pay for such a huge accident - it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Big opportunity for Vandoorne to prove himself against Button.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 16:13 (Ref:3629325)   #6
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very scared when I read air was found in his chest cavity. Usually that's really bad news. Surprised he didn't suffer a fully collapsed lung.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3629564)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso might not be racing but he was mixing it up with Herbert who apparently had suggested that the Spaniard was lacking in motivation and should retire.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...irement-claims
Old 2 Apr 2016, 18:21 (Ref:3629599)   #8
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the subject of broken ribs I seem to remember Niki Lauda taking part in the 1976 Spanish GP with more serious damage to his ribs and finishing second.

But they were different times.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 18:31 (Ref:3629603)   #9
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
On the subject of broken ribs I seem to remember Niki Lauda taking part in the 1976 Spanish GP with more serious damage to his ribs and finishing second.

But they were different times.
Although I don't recall that, you must bear in mind that those were not the litigious times that we live in now. I am not even sure whether the FIA had it's own medical delegate back then; it is more likely that it would have been a local doctor that would have been in attendance, and they certainly didn't have all the most up-to-date medical equipment that today's F1 travel around the world with. Their medical centre would put some mid-size hospitals to shame, with much of the credit going to Sid Watkins and Gary Hartstein.

p.s. Just to add that it is not necessarily the fractured ribs that are the important factor, it is which ribs are affected. It would seem as though Alonso's ribs gave in around the lungs, and considering the huge pressure his chest would be under during breaking and cornering, it might have been considered to be not worth the risk of further damage to his lungs.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3629635)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Off topic, but credit for the medical improvements should also go to the Bernie.
Old 2 Apr 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3629642)   #11
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Off topic, but credit for the medical improvements should also go to the Bernie.
True. It is easy, with his antics currently, to forget or overlook all the things that he has done that has benefitted F1.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 16:58 (Ref:3629923)   #12
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Glad to see that the FIA wasn't bullied by Ron Dennis in his attempt to get Alonso to drive this weekend, what was he thinking, the whole point of official doctors is to stop teams and or drivers, trying to use their own medical opinion to put a driver back in the car when the FIA deems it unsafe.

Quite rightly, the FIA's doctors opinion should be final.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 20:40 (Ref:3630002)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Hear hear.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 02:04 (Ref:3630063)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Makes sense to have a set of FIA doctors who have the final say...but surely their job is to examine and be available for the drivers medical needs.

I'm not sure I understand their rational for not allowing another scan/examination on Saturday before quali even if it was just to humour their patient.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 02:54 (Ref:3630068)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Alonso might not be racing but he was mixing it up with Herbert who apparently had suggested that the Spaniard was lacking in motivation and should retire.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...irement-claims
Good on Mr Alonso to confront the people who are hanging effluent on him!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 Apr 2016, 07:25 (Ref:3630105)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That was coming for a while Johnny's had it in for him for some time.

He was one of my heroes as a youngster but he is a bit too biased towards the Brits and young drivers!!
Old 4 Apr 2016, 08:24 (Ref:3630118)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've always liked Johnny Herbert, and never really been a fan of Alonso.
Having said that, I did like Alonso's approach there, quite classy!
(Not being a Sky subscriber I can't comment on any bias JH may show on TV).
Old 4 Apr 2016, 08:28 (Ref:3630120)   #18
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Never been an Alonso fan, but being criticised for lack of motivation given what he's driving, and being criticised for missing Bahrain through FIA Doctors orders is ludicrous.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 08:30 (Ref:3630121)   #19
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Makes sense to have a set of FIA doctors who have the final say...but surely their job is to examine and be available for the drivers medical needs.

I'm not sure I understand their rational for not allowing another scan/examination on Saturday before quali even if it was just to humour their patient.
I would assume that this was because the doctors that reviewed the images from the Wednesday/Thursday scan deemed it highly improbable that the reason they came to their decision would alter in one or two days. Otherwise, I would further assume, they would have said that he was to remain out of the car until a further scan on Saturday.

What they actually said was that for Alonso's wellbeing that he should remain out of the car until they conducted a further scan prior to the Shanghai race which was to take place in a further two weeks. I repeat what I wrote before that I guess that they are concerned that his ribs might further damage his lung/s if they are not given further time to heal, and time is the best remedy for rib fractures.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3630192)   #20
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:

I think that for ruling a driver out for injury (particularly after a high speed impact) the decision will be made in the week before the race at the latest and that is final as no doctor wil think that you will make sufficient recovery in a couple of days.

For common minor ailments that drivers often pick up like flu or food, stomach ailments, etc that might rule a driver out of the car for Friday sessions, I am sure those can be presented again to the FIA doctors on Saturday as they will accept that a driver can recover from those enough in a couple of days.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 12:33 (Ref:3630209)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Apparently Alonso's doctors felt he had recovered sufficiently so some doctors do.

Obviously we don't know the full extent of his injuries but that's not really the point is it's?

Either doctors are available to their patients or they are not. Now if they were examining another patient and didn't have time that's understandable, but that's not the case is it?

These drivers need to have trust in the FIA medical staff and a belief that they are there for the drivers health and not to protect the FIA's best interests...I don't feel that their choice to not reexamine will help with that trust.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 14:11 (Ref:3630251)   #22
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
chillibowl, I could easily go to my doctor and tell him that I no longer require medical assistance, and he would happily take me at my word and sign me off. Very much like a lot of doctors will take patients at their word that they have a bad back and need to be signed off work for a period of time.

We must, have to, trust the FIA's medical team to act in the very best interests of the drivers. Their dedicated medics will have first hand knowledge of Alonso's situation having been at the trackside with him in Melbourne, would have examined carefully the scan results from that afternoon and compared them with the scans done prior to Bahrain.

The FIA medical team had absolutely nothing to gain from not allowing Alonso to participating in Bahrain, but conversely, they could have been held to be irresponsible if Alonso had further exacerbated his condition.

Doctors should always, IMHO, err on the side of caution. I am alive because of that attitude.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3630252)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I feel that if the FIA doctors do not pass a driver as being fit to race that should be the end of it ..
Old 4 Apr 2016, 14:29 (Ref:3630257)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
chillibowl, I could easily go to my doctor and tell him that I no longer require medical assistance, and he would happily take me at my word and sign me off. Very much like a lot of doctors will take patients at their word that they have a bad back and need to be signed off work for a period of time....
yep lots of good, bad and self serving doctors out there ...im not sure if that analogy helps or hurts your position though

anyways my point isnt whether or not Alonso was healthy enough to race (im not a doctor nor privy to his health details) or who should have the final say (actually i agree that the FIA doctors should have the final word).

all i am saying is that if one of their 30 patients requested a secondary examination then they should get one even if the result would have been the same and the more serious they believe the injuries to be the more they should be examining him even if that means daily or hourly. heck they should have examined him multiple times over the weekend as they had access to Alonso, Alonso wanted the examinations, and to help chart his progress towards healing.

its what they are there for and their failure to do so i think exposes a weakness in their system...a weakness Jean Todt even acknowledged over the weekend.

However, Dennis' frustration in Bahrain was compounded by the fact Alonso's injuries caught everyone by surprise, after the FIA gave him a clean bill of health in Melbourne.

Todt said: "We will make deeper checks after such accidents in the future, perhaps even if it is necessary to follow closely the development of the driver in the following three or four days (after a crash)."

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33468.html
Old 4 Apr 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3630266)   #25
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
The fact that Alonso was there is immaterial. And just as we are not privy to his medical records, neither are we aware that he even wanted to have another scan. However, we do know that Ron Dennis wanted it to happen, whilst we also know, from his own mouth, that Alonso was accepting of the doctors' decision knowing that it was done in his best interests.

Furthermore, all we know is that Alonso's doctor/s in Spain confirmed that the trapped air between his lungs and rib cage had dissipated, but there was no word about anything else. And as has been said, the FIA's medical team's word is the final one regardless of whatever anyone else says. I also think that Todt's view should be ignored, because he usually doesn't know what he is saying. Alonso flew back to Spain after the accident, but would have done so only after the FIA's doctors had cleared him to fly. They had to be involved in that decision because of the inherent dangers from flying in a pressurised aircraft with such injuries. And I am dammed sure that the FIA didn't give him a clean bill of health after the accident.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 4 Apr 2016 at 14:52.