Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2413660)   #1
F3L
Racer

F3L has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Williams at the back again ?

Year after year we Williams fans have to put up with a poor car. Lets hope this year will change that but nothing suggests it as yet. What can they do ?
Old 11 Mar 2009, 14:11 (Ref:2413666)   #2
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't the testing times been okay for Williams? I know they don't mean anything, but they certainly don't indicate a totally useless car!
Old 11 Mar 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2413667)   #3
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Build a better car?

I'll get me coat...
Old 11 Mar 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2413808)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3L View Post
What can they do ?
Buy a customer car ?

I'll get my coat....
Old 12 Mar 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2414157)   #5
rayburn
Racer

United Kingdom
rayburn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they did OK for much of last year, Rosberg in particular, and this year testing times have shown them to be potentially in the top ten. However, no one knows for sure until the first race, and that is what makes it so much fun! I do hope they have a good year though, because I feel that they are probably the most vulnerable team in the light of the current economic crisis.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2414223)   #6
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect Williams to be midfield again, unless the car has lots of hidden pace i cant see them troubling the podium regularly.
To be honest, i think Frank's holding out until everything gets more and more downsized back to at least early 90's levels.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2414415)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What, you mean when all the big hitters were involved with manufacturers and developing extremely expensive computer controlled systems on the cars?
Old 12 Mar 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2414491)   #8
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't see Williams going anywhere this year.

Interestingly enough, BMW have been spending less in their BMW-Sauber effort per year than they have while only being engine supplier and partner of Williams. To make something worthwhile, it seems like they need quite a bit of cash. And that's exactly what they don't have.

That aside, I'm still not convinced by Rosberg. I think much of his early F1 laurels were down to the Cosworth engine in 2006, which seemed to have paid for its power in reliability.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2414512)   #9
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Here we go again! Williams have bigger knockers on here than a sixth form girls school. Good luck to them. Theyve not joined a big constructor to achieve glory, and as the big ones fall away over the next few years, see which team shines through. Old believer in what goes round comes round.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 19:29 (Ref:2415113)   #10
F3L
Racer

F3L has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[quote=Satorian;2414491]

That aside, I'm still not convinced by Rosberg.[/quote)

The karting days of Hamilton, Kubica and Nico suggest Nico is the slowest. By a small small margin. Hamilton is most concerned about Kubica if his car is working than any other driver. Mind you , he had not heard of Vettel then....
Old 13 Mar 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2415160)   #11
Good Times
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey / Texas
Good Times should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Here we go again! Williams have bigger knockers on here than a sixth form girls school. Good luck to them. Theyve not joined a big constructor to achieve glory, and as the big ones fall away over the next few years, see which team shines through. Old believer in what goes round comes round.
Toyota is not a big constructor, You jest of coarse.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2415246)   #12
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since when were Williams owned by Toyota? I thought they were basically an engine partner? FW doesn't have to answer to the Toyota board, afaik.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2415253)   #13
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
FW doesn't have to answer to the Toyota board, afaik.
Quite right.

Nakajima's in the car due to talent and talent alone!
Old 14 Mar 2009, 02:25 (Ref:2415306)   #14
KineticEnergy
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
KineticEnergy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I wish you hadn't said that. I'm having trouble staying focussed on the topic.

Anyway, possibly get a new TD?
Old 14 Mar 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2415410)   #15
Maccafan
Rookie

England
Hull, England
Maccafan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure they'll be up there. If they were one of the first to come up with the trick diffuser then who knows what other delights the boys in blue have come up with. Who knows they might also have the best KERS system in the field. We wont know until later in the season of course.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2415697)   #16
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
At last; Commom sense comment
Old 15 Mar 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2415913)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A purely speculative comment more like.

Which I hope is correct incidentally. Go Williams.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2419059)   #18
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars might be a tadge off the pace, drivers a little uneasy re this or that; one thing Sir Frank Williams will never be is 'at the back' He will be there when the rest have gone the way of Jaguar Ford Honda etc My Way was never a more apt title.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2419301)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car has shown a lot of promise - the assessment on Autosport at the mo puts them somewhere between second and fifth. Still showing decent pace against McLaren in testing too - but that ain't saying much.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2419519)   #20
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As it happens during the last years, Williams start the season on a very good pace, however, little is developed during the year and performance does not improve as it does with other teams.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2419525)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Nakajima concluded Williams testing by posting a time in the 1.17 second region today.It's the fastest time at Jerez during the test sessions and half of a second ahead of McLaren on the same day.I'd say that they weren't in too bad shape.

Go privateers!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2419527)   #22
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Nakajima concluded Williams testing by posting a time in the 1.17 second region today.It's the fastest time at Jerez during the test sessions and half of a second ahead of McLaren on the same day.I'd say that they weren't in too bad shape.

Go privateers!
Amen to that!
Old 19 Mar 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2419612)   #23
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Both the McLaren and the Williams recorded the fastest times of the off season for 2009 rule cars since last years Brazilian GP.

If thats the case (true) only Button is in close company....
Old 20 Mar 2009, 00:25 (Ref:2419865)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post

If thats the case (true) only Button is in close company....
Much better weather conditions (wind) for the last two days of the test.But it looks pretty close heading towards the first race.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 01:43 (Ref:2419896)   #25
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
...it looks pretty close heading towards the first race.
Between Brawn GP and Williams?