Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 May 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3081954)   #1226
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
has the delta wing arrived at le mans for the test day yet?
Old 30 May 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3082016)   #1227
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Miatanut, to clarify: I am not necessarily against limiting the fuel consumption and/or any other consumable, but I do think there are fairer means to keep the speeds under control. Would not it be better to limit certain performance parameters? As for Formula 1 I would like to continue the debate/discussion we had in the thread Formula One: The Next Generation. What would you like to see? earlier this month.
I thought that thread went dormant. I see it's back. I'll get back there when I have a moment for a decent response.
Quote:
Hence, qualifying will not be about where is should about: pure speed and driving at the very limit of the car. In qualifying strategy might become even more important than it currently is in Formula 1.
Different fans have different things they like. It's no secret that technical development is the top of my list. After that, I enjoy seeing teams winning through strategy rather than outright speed. I think it adds more to the race, and I don't see any problem with strategy coming into qualifying as well.
Quote:
If fuel consumption is to be limited, fairness would require the abolition of the Safety Car. Without a Safety Car being deployed driver and team could decide to drive aggressively, at a higher pace and hence burn more fuel than they should on average to build up a lead in first stage of the race and drive at a lower pace, save fuel and try to preserve as much as possible of their lead later on and thereby win the race. However, as soon as a Safety Car is being deployed, that strategy proves to be very unfortunate: the driver and his team have not only consumed a lot of fuel, but also lost their lead. Hence, they will be a sitting duck waiting to be passed by those with a different strategy and more luck.
To anticipate to this possible situation teams could decide to run more or less the same strategy: keep as much fuel for later part of the race as possible. How entertaining will that be? And what will be left of the freedom and diversity regarding race strategy?
We need the safety car for safety. If fuel consumption behind a safety car is about 1/3 what it is normally, then the fuel allocation for safety car laps would be 1/3 of normal and the sanctioning body posts the official number of safety car laps, so everybody is on the same page, and everybody does their calculations so they know what they have left. It adds another element to post race tech, determining how much fuel is left at the end, but that's not insurmountable. There would be the occasional bummer when the winner was not the winner because they used a little more fuel than allowed. Maybe for the sake of the fans, the winner stays the winner and gets shorted that amount at the next race, and only gets the win taken away at the last race of the year.
Old 30 May 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3082114)   #1228
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If fuel consumption is to be limited, fairness would require the abolition of the Safety Car.
Since when did fairness play a role in auto racing?
Old 31 May 2012, 01:03 (Ref:3082197)   #1229
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I don't know, but there are pictures of the teams unloading appearing in a few spots including these from EI. Maybe Thursday's pictures will include one of the DW.
Old 31 May 2012, 07:39 (Ref:3082275)   #1230
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
Since when did fairness play a role in auto racing?
It's always been about having the edge over the other guy.
Old 31 May 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3082543)   #1231
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Send out 3 safety cars , let them catch up to the 1st safety car parade and bring in the other 2 safety cars ..... then you have one big bunch up line , just like the start .

No one looses a lap , odd cars speeding recieve a penalty . How does that sound ?
Old 31 May 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3082570)   #1232
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Send out 3 safety cars , let them catch up to the 1st safety car parade and bring in the other 2 safety cars ..... then you have one big bunch up line , just like the start .

No one looses a lap , odd cars speeding recieve a penalty . How does that sound ?
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

If the leader get picked up by the 3rd SC and the 2nd-placed car by the 1st, and then the 2nd and 3rd SCs allow the field to bunch up behind the 1st, then you've given the leader more than 2 additional min or so of advantage once the green flag drops. I'm thinking the safer solution in terms of cars slowing down and the yellow period being fair for everyone is Code 60 like at the Dubai 24h.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 31 May 2012, 13:25 (Ref:3082591)   #1233
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

That's a lot of safety cars but it could work.
Old 31 May 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3082613)   #1234
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Code 60 like at the Dubai 24h.
I've seen the Code 60 work very well at the FunCup Spa 25hrs, which like LM is a lengthy track with plenty of entries. Might be too slow for LMP cars, it would have to be Code100 or Code150
Old 31 May 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3082614)   #1235
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Off topic comment alert

If the leader get picked up by the 3rd SC and the 2nd-placed car by the 1st, and then the 2nd and 3rd SCs allow the field to bunch up behind the 1st, then you've given the leader more than 2 additional min or so of advantage once the green flag drops. I'm thinking the safer solution in terms of cars slowing down and the yellow period being fair for everyone is Code 60 like at the Dubai 24h.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Let everyone catch up to the SC with the leader?

One advantage of safety cars is that it not only slows the field down, it also bunches it up so that you have a train of cars going by and then a period of clear track where people can work. With multiple safety cars some of that advantage is lost, might as well use Code 60 then.
Old 31 May 2012, 16:35 (Ref:3082692)   #1236
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe there are other threads that exist to discuss the finer points of full course cautions, so lets keep this thread about the DeltaWing shall we?
Old 31 May 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3082776)   #1237
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I believe there are other threads that exist to discuss the finer points of full course cautions, so lets keep this thread about the DeltaWing shall we?
Quite, I thought I clicked on the wrong thread after reading the above comments.
Old 31 May 2012, 18:57 (Ref:3082792)   #1238
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
I've seen the Code 60 work very well at the FunCup Spa 25hrs, which like LM is a lengthy track with plenty of entries. Might be too slow for LMP cars, it would have to be Code100 or Code150
I have raced in the Seat Ibiza diesel endurance cup in Holland and we used the code 60 there as well. It worked very well but I'm affraid it is too slow for the Le Mans class cars.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 01:31 (Ref:3082977)   #1239
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Has it....?
Old 1 Jun 2012, 01:35 (Ref:3082979)   #1240
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice background article.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/m...nt-and-testing
Old 1 Jun 2012, 14:33 (Ref:3083283)   #1241
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes, they are there.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3083286)   #1242
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Yes, they are there.
Needs more Black!
Old 1 Jun 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3083288)   #1243
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice suitably narrow pit there for the DW.

I'd wondered about this. I'm assuming that the 56th entry gets the 56th pit? Or does it go into the rotation. It might be tough to squeeze a lot of alternative technology/big team manpower into those small pits in the future.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 14:51 (Ref:3083293)   #1244
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Off topic comment alert

The 1st SC slows to let the 2nd and 3rd SC catch up , then they leave the course , leaving only 1 SC and the whole field in tow .

Im not sure if there is a perfect solution , but the one at presant certainly isnt fair .

Does LM employ 2 or 3 SC ?
Old 1 Jun 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3083295)   #1245
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's a lot of safety cars but it could work.
I know they have 2 SC , possibily 3 , not sure though ?
Old 1 Jun 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3083304)   #1246
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Needs more Black!
Yes! Those Nissan letters are way too big/white!

Looking forward to see it race and go the distance.

Not looking forward at all to the Nissan media assault.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 17:01 (Ref:3083351)   #1247
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I know they have 2 SC , possibily 3 , not sure though ?

3 last year.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 17:15 (Ref:3083360)   #1248
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes, they are there.
A Nissan six-wheeler?

Actually it looks like a lizard doing push-ups.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3083364)   #1249
The Badger
Veteran

They wont get much milage outta those little wheels !!!
Old 1 Jun 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3083367)   #1250
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, they are there.
I dare someone to go up and tell one of the mechanics that they have spelt NISSAN wrong....