Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Jul 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3274447)   #1
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
USCR Knockout Qualifying

With the predicted car counts in all categories, 60+ cars at each race...would anyone be interested to watch an F1 type qualifying session? Or is it more exciting to watch it as is?
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 5 Jul 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3274453)   #2
freeballin
Racer

freeballin User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
There won't be that many cars so it's sort of a moot point. Then again hot tracks like Kansas can't afford more than forty cars so a split grid isn't a bad idea.

Bring on 2014!!!
Old 5 Jul 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3274455)   #3
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Knockout qualifying would take all day with four classes. Twelve ten- or fifteen-minute sessions, five or ten minutes in between, and qualifying lasts longer than the race.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3274464)   #4
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about two sessions, 6 minutes each, for each class?
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 5 Jul 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3274474)   #5
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The knockout route only makes sense to me if it's a single-class series. Otherwise, you're going to have four sessions anyway. They've handled 50+ cars in this way at Road Atlanta, and 60+ cars in the current manner at Sebring. So, at the tracks that can handle the full grid, I see no need to change. If it's a track where the grid is going to be split, the present system should work just fine too. The only difference will be that you'll have to delineate who is running which race, but that's done easily enough.

Why make it more complicated than it needs to be? Also, it annoys me when I have to go digging through everything to find the ultimate lap set in each class, because the fastest lap wasn't set in the final session of the class. I find the current Qualifying "show" quite enjoyable, and I get the true satisfaction of knowing that everyone delivered the best lap they could in that one shot. (I don't want my Qualifying diluted!)
Old 5 Jul 2013, 23:17 (Ref:3274476)   #6
rwindle
Rookie

United States
Dallas, Texas
rwindle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
What about two sessions, 6 minutes each, for each class?
6 minutes of qualifying wouldn't give those Continental tires enough time to come up to temp. How many laps of Sebring can a prototype or GT car do in 6 minutes ... or Road America ... or Daytona. The number of laps would vary of course, prototypes getting 1 more lap than GTs due to lap time differentials ... maybe.

I'll bet the team owners/managers/crew chiefs dread the "knockout" format ... putting their drivers, cars and engines at risk one additional time compared to the slower teams.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3274485)   #7
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
..would anyone be interested to watch an F1 type qualifying session?
I wouldn't.
Quote:
Or is it more exciting to watch it as is?
It's just fine as it's handled by ALMS atm, IMHO.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 06:10 (Ref:3274505)   #8
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Really not a fan of those ultra-short qualifying sessions. Personally, I'd introduce a system like at most 24 hour races:

One 30 minute practise session to get used to the track and every session afterwards can be used to set qualifying laps.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 08:10 (Ref:3274517)   #9
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Really not a fan of those ultra-short qualifying sessions. Personally, I'd introduce a system like at most 24 hour races:

One 30 minute practise session to get used to the track and every session afterwards can be used to set qualifying laps.
I'd consider that system for an event where you want to draw more people to the track earlier in the week, but I like the current systems in GA and ALMS which are fairly similar.

Condense qualifying to force everyone to show their hands fairly early, split it up so you for the most part give each class their own show, and make the pole sitter the fastest man in qualifying trim.

The one advantage that the alternative provides is you are more assured of getting the fastest car on pole. Not that we really have a problem with that at the moment.

Chris
Old 7 Jul 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3275013)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Towards the end of GT qualifying at LRP this weekend, it felt a bit like a NASCAR qualifying session, with only the Falken Porsche out for a few laps completely by itself at the end.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3276676)   #11
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
The whole reason of contrived F1 qualifying is to avoid 45 minutes of nearly empty track on TV before the big guns decide to leave the pits. In multi-class racing the problem is completely opposite: giving everyone enough track time.