Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 6 Jan 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1194487)   #51
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was not a complaint as such John just a question on where it was all heading?

Do we ditch the KOK and go MSV or do we stay as normal with a formula that is working?
Old 6 Jan 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1194490)   #52
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha, i didn't mean (just) you - there seems to be several pages of moaning already!

I definitely have the impression that if I took over the Champion of Brands, removed entry fees, paid start money of £5,000 to each entrant and guaranteed the weather - some people would still moan that I wasn't willing to provide a free taxi service to and from home for them.. .

Last edited by JohnMiller; 6 Jan 2005 at 13:47.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1194557)   #53
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Calendar now on clubff1600.co.uk - here though is the full press release that has just been issued.

MotorSport Vision backs new FF1600 series
Circuit owner throws its weight behind nationwide series for Kent-engined cars

Circuit owner MotorSport Vision is pioneering a new nationwide championship for 1600cc-engined Formula Ford cars.

The formula, which helped launch the careers of drivers like Ayrton Senna, Eddie Irvine, TV presenter Tiff Needell and MotorSport Vision managing director Jonathan Palmer, still provides some of the most exciting and popular race action in UK club motorsport.

Palmer said: “MotorSport Vision is delighted to put its weight behind the Formula Ford 1600 (Kent-engined) category of single-seater racing. FFord revolutionised motor racing when it was launched in 1967 by providing truly affordable, reliable single-seater racing cars.

“Significantly too, it was created by John Webb of Brands Hatch so it is most appropriate that MSV rejuvenates it now! Over the past 30 years, more Grand Prix drivers developed their skills and proved their potential in FFord than any other junior category - indeed I spent three seasons racing these cars as a medical student.

“As a consequence of such success, there are a huge number of FF1600 cars in existence and their ability to provide not just cheap racing, but great entertainment, means they are still very popular. MotorSport Vision is committed to promoting motor racing across the spectrum, from major international events to grass roots club racing, and believes the time is right to provide a major boost to the category by creating a new national series.”

The new championship will absorb the existing British Racing and Sports Car Club’s Southern FFord Championship, and ex-Formula 1 driver Palmer will work in conjunction with the BRSCC to put financial backing and promotion behind the 12-round series.

For its inaugural season in 2005, the series will visit MotorSport Vision’s four circuits – Brands Hatch in Kent, Oulton Park in Cheshire, Snetterton in Norfolk and Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire, with the season finale taking place at the blue riband FFord Festival at Brands Hatch in October. The six races at Brands will comprise the traditional Champion of Brands title.

There will be a £10,000 prize fund, with £5,000 for the overall champion, £3,500 for second place and £1,500 for third. A promotional package for the series, which is yet to be named, is also being put together.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1194648)   #54
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Why won't it fit comfortably with KoK? It will be one score out of three needed away from your 'home' championship, that's all.
If the OP round is made up mainly of NW drivers, as I can well see happening, it'll count as one of the away scores, but there won't be the battling against different drivers at different tracks, which surely is the point of having these away scores?
Secondly, when this develops, which will be the "national" series for 1600? KOK, or the MSV series? We all know the potential problems that arise from having too many series on the same level. Even quoting from clubff1600 :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Chaplin-Perkins
People need to get their heads together and make sure they’re all steering FF1600 in the same direction. There are only a limited number of competitors and it could be a problem if they’re divided between too many series
Quote:
Also, other than for one race at Oulton, there are no local drivers.
I was referring to locality geographical, not local championships. Drivers who live close to Cadwell may well do the Cadwell rounds but nothing else in the MSV championship.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1194656)   #55
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
If the OP round is made up mainly of NW drivers, as I can well see happening, it'll count as one of the away scores, but there won't be the battling against different drivers at different tracks, which surely is the point of having these away scores?
Does it really matter if (as seems likely) hardly any NW drivers tackle KoK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
Secondly, when this develops, which will be the "national" series for 1600? KOK, or the MSV series? We all know the potential problems that arise from having too many series on the same level. Even quoting from clubff1600 :
But it is all BRSCC anyway. And there is no reason that King of Kents has to exist into the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
I was referring to locality geographical, not local championships. Drivers who live close to Cadwell may well do the Cadwell rounds but nothing else in the MSV championship.
Again, not many of them. And that happens anyway, in every racing championship. Not an issue.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1194663)   #56
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Does it really matter if (as seems likely) hardly any NW drivers tackle KoK?
But it is all BRSCC anyway. And there is no reason that King of Kents has to exist into the future.
My concern was the two trying to co-exist more than anything. If a "pure" national championship or a KoK like format is better is a completely different argument and will very much be to personal choice. Certainly, after this year and seeing how things actually pan out, who partakes in which races, if there is a regular championship contingent etc. - we may argue that very point for next season in a few months time!
I'll be honest, I'm still not convinced. But this year is going to be a transition between a regional championship and a national championship (or at least it seriously looks to be like that) - and I'm not sure that'll work in itself. And the potential will therefore be lost...
Old 6 Jan 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1194718)   #57
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Marcus Pye, Autosport

Three cheers to Jonathan Palmer and MotorSport Vision for putting some clout behind a Formula Ford 1600 initiative when those who could have paved the way towards the return of an affordable national series for clubmen were busy saying "too difficult".

Wise words, I feel.

Last edited by Kicking-back; 6 Jan 2005 at 20:22.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1194794)   #58
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't, but I kept getting shot down
I've been banging on about a National FF1600 Championship for the last few years, but nobody seemed to want to listen

Last edited by diz; 6 Jan 2005 at 22:18. Reason: Missed a bit out
Old 7 Jan 2005, 07:47 (Ref:1194994)   #59
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
diz, I think Marcus agrees with you!
Old 7 Jan 2005, 09:31 (Ref:1195068)   #60
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can a national FF1600 championship work for the future if it is backed by JP? It would only ever be able to run on MSV circuits??

Unless other big circuits were involved then it could never be classed as a national championship. You would need to add at least Donington, Castle Combe and Silverstone to the list but would JP keep promoting other venues? Or could we all be racing at Bruntingthorpe soon!!

Last edited by Redracer77; 7 Jan 2005 at 09:32.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1195070)   #61
Ian Sowman
Veteran

JP has said that it is likely it will expand to non-MSV circuits next year - see www.clubff1600.co.uk for confirmation of that, also Autosport.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1195124)   #62
Matt22
Rookie

Matt22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking as one of the few regular SFFCers, this sounds like the end of the southern series. IF this develops into a national series and replaces KOK, then we will have NW, SOM, CC and MSV. We will be sitting here in a year's time saying 'wouldn't it be nice to have a local championship based at brands'.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1195162)   #63
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True Matt, CoB needs protecting but you summed it up best with your 'one of the FEW' comment.

Don't forget they've only added 3 races at 2 venues...
Old 7 Jan 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1195187)   #64
Matt22
Rookie

Matt22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, John, but just to point out - the original SFFC '05 was 6 meetings only, now it is 11 meetings plus the Festival.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1195196)   #65
JohnMiller
Veteran

OK Matt. Shame they can't use a little of the prize fund to keep entries down a bit.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1195231)   #66
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt22
Agreed, John, but just to point out - the original SFFC '05 was 6 meetings only, now it is 11 meetings plus the Festival.
The original 2005 SFFC looked better before from my personal point of view and most other SFFC drivers I would guess.

The new 'SFFC' championship should be renamed MSV championship and National FF1600 in 2006 combined with KOK. The COB should / will replace the 'true' SFFC. If this happens I guess it is good for FF1600.

Matt

Myself, Neil Tofts and Keith Wood will all be racing in SFFC/COB and now Lydden has been dropped many more too I guess, even before JP's involvement. JP's promotion and money will increase numbers even more at Brands but at Snetterton who knows. As some like myself will now just do COB. (In my case plus Silverstone GP, Carnival & WHT).

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final