Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 30 Apr 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3240842)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
FIA Formula E Championship 2014-15

This looks quite exciting. A new open-wheel car, completely electric McLaren engines, 20 cars, to race only on street circuits, with driver changes, 170 MPH, completely silent... this all sounded like a pipe dream but it sure looks like its taking off. It sounds completely nuts, but I like it. I just found out about it today in Sports Illustrated, where Lars Anderson wrote about the series and the meetings in Los Angeles with mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. It seems that it will launch in 2014, under the FIA, and run 10 races on global cities around the world. 8 cities have been locked in to the season next year out of the 23 cities and their respective mayors that have been fighting tooth and nail to land a spot for the inaugural season. The confirmed series are as follows

In North America, Los Angeles, California and Miami, Florida. In South America, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Buenos Aires, Argentina. In Europe, Rome, Italy and London, England. Finally, in Asia, Putrajaya, Malaysia and Beijing, China.

There are two slots left. According to all the relatively new buzz about it the last month, the races would be held around city centers and places of importance in the cities. No dates have been announced yet, at least to my understanding.

Here's the link to the news portal (I don't think it's official): http://formula-e-news.com/
The website: http://www.formulaeholdings.com/
And a Jalopnik article: http://jalopnik.com/formula-e-will-l...tric-483104421

I have a personal relationship with this series, as well. When I decided to see Pixar's Cars 2 (I was in love with Cars in my innocent childhood years back in '06 and '07!), I was fascinated with the idea of the World Grand Prix. Cars buzzing through the fascinating city centers of London and Tokyo with a little spy action along with it. I draw a lot of my street circuit designs from those pipe dreams. Now something very similar seems to be coming to life.

Anyone want to take guesses as to what the final cities will be? I noticed that they seem to be doing 2 races per continent (if the series expands, I'm sure it'll be 3 or 4 per continent). However, they have left out Africa and Australasia. I think a Canadian round is out (originally when this idea came up my thoughts went to Toronto and Vancouver), as well as any other European round at this point. And since there is already a big race on a street circuit in Australia (the Melbourne GP), I can see Sydney or Brisbane hosting a 9th race and perhaps Cape Town or Durban hosting a 10th round.

A couple of these cities give me reason to worry, though, and they are Beijing and Rio De Janeiro. I realize they are trying to bring alternative energy to China to fight their pollution problems, and that a smogged-out race in China would be an effective reminder of how dire the problem is with crude energy sources, but still. If you thought New Delhi was bad for the GP last year, it is nothing, NOTHING, compared to some days in Beijing. I'm sure they will try to reduce their emissions like they did for the Olympics to make a good first impression, but if they don't, who knows what the health impacts will be. They seem to be visiting some cities that are having problems with their emissions (Beijing, Buenos Aires, London, Rome, Los Angeles), and maybe their goal is to make an impact of these cities and help them change their ways by entertaining them with electric racing? I dunno...

Also, a street race in Rio is an absolute MAGNET for crime. I say that with NO OFFENSE to Brazilians, as I plan to visit Rio for the 2016 Olympics and Brazil for the 2014 World Cup. But Rio is known for its dodgy street atmosphere, even in downtown. But I'm sure the officials will have it under control.

I guess those ideas about the street race in London and Rome that were supposed to be for F1 are coming to fruition in Formula E! I know Boris Johnson is happy.

Comments, questions, concerns? The very official FIA Formula E Championship thread can commence!
Old 30 Apr 2013, 16:33 (Ref:3241030)   #2
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I welcome the idea of a new formula based in electric energy, despite all pros and cons. Is scheduled a race in Buenos Aires - hope it could come to fruition. If FIA has the brilliant idea to tie the Formula E event with the Super TC2000 street event at Buenos Aires, I'm sure it will be a great goal for the formula series.

Despite that I'm quite skeptic, because except the persistent Rally of Argentina, FIA GT/GT1 2008-10, Dakar since 2009 and perhaps Moto GP since this year or 2014, no other events were confirmed here. Mostly when, in the last decade, other major international sport events were presumed but cancelled, like World Series by Nissan when it tried in 2002, or WTCC in early 2006.
Old 1 May 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3241307)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like combining racing with a bit of sight seeing, so I'm looking forward to this. Got my eyes on London or Rome.
Old 1 May 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3241317)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
What I'm most worried about is drivers. They must sign top drivers, or nobody will care.
Old 1 May 2013, 14:34 (Ref:3241347)   #5
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
What I'm most worried about is drivers. They must sign top drivers, or nobody will care.
I'm sure quite a few major Formula drivers will sign up. I can see Formula Renault 3.5 drivers making a transition to Formula E, as well as GP2, Formula 3, and GP3 drivers.

Last edited by Beetle; 1 May 2013 at 14:41.
Old 1 May 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3241351)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can't. unless the budget is seriously lower than 3.5 and there's a real chance it might lead somewhere towards a career path then it's going to be a hard sell to many drivers.

i like the product though, it sounds great (not literally) and i think the way they're going about pitching it is very... relevant to the end goal of making electric cars and racing acceptable.
Old 1 May 2013, 14:55 (Ref:3241357)   #7
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the teams were the ones looking for the funding, so they can pretty much choose any GP2/FR3.5/GP3 driver they want. Of course unless he wants some unreasonable retainer
Old 1 May 2013, 15:23 (Ref:3241363)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and that's what happens in f1 too, but we see every year how that ends up
Old 1 May 2013, 22:28 (Ref:3241546)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea and would be quite keen to go to the London race.

As for drivers, I would imagine that it will be a combination of drivers who for one reason or another haven't been able to progress up through F3/GP3 or have been in GP2/Formula Renault 3.5 for a while and been unable to get into F1. As such, I'd imagine it will be similar to Formula 2, but with electric cars.
Old 2 May 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3241724)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
But what about the noise? Part of the whole experience of being trackside is to hear the incredible noises made by the engines/exhausts, the crack of fuel burning off on the overrun. It's a big part of the attraction - electric cars are presumably going to be incredibly quiet in comparison and I'm not sure how much that will diminish the overall experience.
Old 2 May 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3241749)   #11
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
As for drivers, I would imagine that it will be a combination of drivers who for one reason or another haven't been able to progress up through F3/GP3 or have been in GP2/Formula Renault 3.5 for a while and been unable to get into F1. As such, I'd imagine it will be similar to Formula 2, but with electric cars.
If there are driver swaps perhaps we could see "pro/am" style combos, or people with half a budget each sharing a ride.
Old 2 May 2013, 13:39 (Ref:3241753)   #12
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
But what about the noise? Part of the whole experience of being trackside is to hear the incredible noises made by the engines/exhausts, the crack of fuel burning off on the overrun. It's a big part of the attraction - electric cars are presumably going to be incredibly quiet in comparison and I'm not sure how much that will diminish the overall experience.
there is still noise - just a different noise

Many of us cling to the idea that to have a "proper" race one of your senses has to be overwhelmed by the sound generated from an internal combustion engine.

I disagree. I watch racing, which perhaps explains why I love bike racing, as in Tour de France bikes, not MotoGP.

When the sound of a pack of cars is reduced to the whistle/whine of the electric motor and it's associated transmission, the sound generated by the tyres and steering inputs lets you hear who is really pushing, especially in the corners and braking zones. You also hear the rush of the air which I found quite surreal.

In car whine (quite pronounced) - but he is hitting 180kph in places.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9cp8CGJSu4

From outside (I may be a bit biased since I had to help clear this one up) with no commentary, only ambient noise. Makes it very easy to tell when there's been contact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3u45ABkqrU
Old 2 May 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3241782)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
In car whine (quite pronounced) - but he is hitting 180kph in places.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9cp8CGJSu4
<obvious comment questioning whether that's the driver whining or the car>

Old 2 May 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3241895)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
But what about the noise? Part of the whole experience of being trackside is to hear the incredible noises made by the engines/exhausts, the crack of fuel burning off on the overrun. It's a big part of the attraction
Not to mention smell!
Old 5 May 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3243250)   #15
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was skeptical for all the reasons listed here. However, surely the noise they emit could be amplified if neccessary? And surely the batteries must emit some sort of smell? It will be different, yes, but it will be exciting to watch. Electric makes senes for motorsport, shorter distance at least.

Also from the Wiki page: Noise decibel levels: ordinary car=70dB; Formula E=80dB; bus=90dB

Here is the whole page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Fo...E_Championship
Old 6 May 2013, 21:49 (Ref:3243701)   #16
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
I was skeptical for all the reasons listed here. However, surely the noise they emit could be amplified if neccessary? And surely the batteries must emit some sort of smell? It will be different, yes, but it will be exciting to watch. Electric makes senes for motorsport, shorter distance at least.

Also from the Wiki page: Noise decibel levels: ordinary car=70dB; Formula E=80dB; bus=90dB

Here is the whole page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Fo...E_Championship
The noise issue doesn't bother me. What does is the link of the tracks - 2.5 - 3.0 km is WAY too short for a big field like this! Also, it worries me that they are racing in Beijing, given that this is what a journalist saw as he looked out of his hotel window yesterday...

Old 6 May 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3243709)   #17
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Also, it worries me that they are racing in Beijing, given that this is what a journalist saw as he looked out of his hotel window yesterday
In some respects, putting on an 'environmentally friendly' race in Beijing may help to promote the championships given the problems that pollution causes in the city.
Old 6 May 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3243714)   #18
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
In some respects, putting on an 'environmentally friendly' race in Beijing may help to promote the championships given the problems that pollution causes in the city.
I thought the same thing, too. But better in Los Angeles or Buenos Aires, areas with pollution problems, rather than in Beijing, areas with seeing half a mile problems.
Old 6 May 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3243730)   #19
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anybody remember the A1GP Beijing track? Lets hope this one isn't as bad.
Old 7 May 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3243749)   #20
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Anybody remember the A1GP Beijing track? Lets hope this one isn't as bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLreR4Atdz8
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2360939

Oh, the memories!
Old 7 May 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3243859)   #21
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
However, surely the noise they emit could be amplified if neccessary?
Why? It would be fake and in any case it seems to me that when they live in the proximity of a race track, people protest vociferously about the noise of race cars as opposed to the CO2 output.

Some of my neighbours get wound up about noise, but never the carbon footprint.

Why antagonise those close to potential new city centre venues by recreating the same issue?
Old 7 May 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3244029)   #22
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Why? It would be fake and in any case it seems to me that when they live in the proximity of a race track, people protest vociferously about the noise of race cars as opposed to the CO2 output.

Some of my neighbours get wound up about noise, but never the carbon footprint.

Why antagonise those close to potential new city centre venues by recreating the same issue?
Old 15 May 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3247878)   #23
jobdone
Racer

jobdone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow have you guys seen the Formula E car?! Looks mega! http://www.gpupdate.net/en/autosport...showcases-car/

The on board video makes it sound like a remote controlled car I used to play with as a kid, not sure if I like it or not, but the car makes up for that!
Old 15 May 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3247884)   #24
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Looks like a dw indycar, is that a good thing!?
Old 15 May 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3247948)   #25
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Looks like a dw indycar, is that a good thing!?
From the front it looks like a certain fictional Newey designed single seater.