Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

View Poll Results: Should they adopt more road races into NASCAR?
Yes 23 44.23%
No 9 17.31%
Yes, but only a few more 20 38.46%
No, get rid of all of them 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Feb 2012, 16:52 (Ref:3030923)   #1
Gearhead Gav
Rookie

United States
Concord, CA
Gearhead Gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring Road Racing To NASCAR!

I know that they run a few odd road races throughout the season, being Infineon, Watkins Glen, Montreal, and Road America... but I think it is time to split it evenly!

So many people enjoy road courses... I think it would attract a better crowd, to be honest... not so many hillbillies drinkin' thar beer at 'Dega.

So, what do you think? Yes or no? And, if yes, what tracks should they bring to NASCAR?

My thoughts: Mosport, Circuit of the Americas (Austin F1), Long Beach GP, Miller Motorsports Park, Barber Motorsports Park, Lime Rock Park, and Laguna Seca.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 17:07 (Ref:3030928)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Yes 2 or 3 road courses extra would be nice. At least one in the Chase.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3030969)   #3
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My dream sport has a Daytona 500 (reluctantly...not into plate racing at all), a World 600, a Southern 500, and a Pennsylvania 500 (just to offend everyone who hates Pocono). The rest of the races are split 16 on short ovals, 16 on road courses.

But not my call.

In reality, adding a third road course to the Sprint Cup would be really nice. I much prefer having more tracks than visiting the same 1.5-mile ovals twice (though I am aware a road course would be at the expense of Pocono or Michigan).
Old 25 Feb 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3030989)   #4
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like some more road courses, but I think the best way to do that would be to take 2nd dates away from a few of the tracks, especially Fontana, Loudon, Kansas, and Pocono.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3030993)   #5
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
I would like some more road courses, but I think the best way to do that would be to take 2nd dates away from a few of the tracks, especially Fontana, Loudon, Kansas, and Pocono.
Fontana only has one date.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3031000)   #6
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Double-header NASCAR + ALMS/Grand-Am? I for one would like to see NASCARs running at Laguna Seca or maybe even Sebring (though not in the sports car races themselves).
Old 25 Feb 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3031003)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unfortunately my very unscientific study of Nascar fans in swVA shows me the road races are off weekends. I was the only one that watched the road races and they in fact hated them, especially after Montoya and Ambrose joined the series. Personally all for road courses and wish Indy was 60/40 road course and Nascar had maybe 5 road courses.
As for tracks they could go to, first we should push for the full Glen course and the long course at Sonoma as well. I could see them adding Austin in a few years actually. Laguna Seca could be interesting, how many cars off at the corkscrew on lap 1? Lime Rock could be exciting but would they run without one or both chicanes? Seemed like the ALMS guys had problems with the west bend chicane and who knows how the midpack Cup guys would handle it.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3031007)   #8
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Road America for the Cup cars as well please.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3031009)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's the same where you are now, broadrun. While I enjoy stockcars on the the road courses, they are HATED amongst most NASCAR fans.

For the OP and the tracks mentioned:

Long Beach would be a disaster, Barber and Miller would a complete bore, while the old Lime Rock layout (with the uphill and no chicanes) and Laguna would be quite enjoyable, IMO.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3031039)   #10
Gearhead Gav
Rookie

United States
Concord, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
It's the same where you are now, broadrun. While I enjoy stockcars on the the road courses, they are HATED amongst most NASCAR fans.

For the OP and the tracks mentioned:

Long Beach would be a disaster, Barber and Miller would a complete bore, while the old Lime Rock layout (with the uphill and no chicanes) and Laguna would be quite enjoyable, IMO.
Yeah, Long Beach would be a crash fest.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3031040)   #11
Gearhead Gav
Rookie

United States
Concord, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Double-header NASCAR + ALMS/Grand-Am? I for one would like to see NASCARs running at Laguna Seca or maybe even Sebring (though not in the sports car races themselves).
They do TEST at Laguna Seca in NASCARS. The corkscrew would be chaos, though.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 01:41 (Ref:3031202)   #12
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could see Road America, Road Atlanta (they test there too, don't they?) and possibly Austin working for Cup cars, if there would be a will to add more road courses. Maybe Laguna, but it might be a bit tight in some places.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 04:02 (Ref:3031270)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road atlanta and road america for sure.
just good tracks.
If Salt lake wasn't so ugly i bet they could make a case for it in some configuration.
i wonder how austin will turn out.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 06:19 (Ref:3031310)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I put in for more road courses, but only a few more.

Realistically, the number of road courses NASCAR could do and put on a decent race is pretty limited.

Street circuits are just out, period. These cars are too big, heavy, and lumbering to be able to actually race around such courses. Even Long Beach, which is hardly the tightest one we've ever seen, would be a mess. Can you imagine the field trying to snake through the Fountain Complex? And that's IF they can even manage to make it through Turn 1 without blocking the entire track when they crash on the start or subsequent restarts.

I think Laguna Seca is too tight in enough spots that it will break up the field and lead to parade-like races, much like what we often get at Sears Point.

In theory, I'd like to see Cup on the Long Course at Watkins Glen, but "the Boot" is not going to be very quick for these cars, and I don't know that the uphill run from the "toe" of "the Boot" iwill be long enough to set up a pass.

Road America and Montreal are probably the best options for adding road courses to the Cup calendar. They have enough quicker stuff and long straights to give overtaking zones with some frequency, while also not having every corner be a 1st or 2nd gear affair for these cars.

The Alan Wilson tracks of Barber and Miller would be horrendous. Barber has no significant straightaways. I think the Cup guys might get a longer flat-out run at Sears Point than they would get at Barber. Miller has a long straight, but only one, and then you get to watch follow-the-leader for the rest of the either 3.048-mile, or 4.486-mile lap. The infield straight ends in a couple of very quick bends, which will NOT be conducive to passing in NASCAR machinery. Also, the fans would get bored having to wait two or even three minutes for the field to get back around to right in front of them.

Unfortunately, at Road Atlanta, I think about the only place you'd see passing, after the start and restarts, is on the back straight. There will be little passing into Turn 1, I would think, none in the Esses, and I don't know that the straight down to the bottom of the course will be quite long enough to set something up after getting strung out.

I think the regional series do NOT use either chicane at Lime Rock, at least they didn't used to. Even so, that's just a traffic nightmare to run Cup there.

Austin might be a reasonable choice. It should have a few flat-out stretches that are long enough to make something happen. Also, the three heaviest braking zones are supposed to have pitch changes in the middle of them, which could unsettle a leading car, and let someone behind dive in to take the apex and the position.

Portland, especially without the chicane, could be an interesting one. Most of the corners at either end are not so slow that you get an extreme accordion effect. Both straightaways are certainly long enough, and I would like to see the Cup cars launching off the curbs at the end of the back stretch.

I don't think Mid Ohio would work all that well. There would be the one good spot at the end of the back stretch. They might also be able to pass at "the Keyhole". However, the field would get very strung out around the rest of the lap, so I'm not all that hopeful.

The Nationwide Series showed that Mexico City could be alright for racing. I'm VERY glad that that chicane they used in the front straight was short-lived.

It's hard to know how Mosport would go, but it could be alright. I think it would work markedly better than Road Atlanta.

Mont Tremblant (without either chicane) might also be exciting for these guys. They might freak going over the top at Turn 1 the first few times they go through at speed.

Of course, at a number of these tracks, it would REALLY be useful to have rain tires, and the other required equipment for wet running.

You know, I'm just waiting for the season when they can't get a race, or three, in on the designated week, because of rain. It would sure put a lot of strain on all the personnel to be running one or more events between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If the rain check happens at a track like Watkins Glen, New Hampshire, Road America, or Pocono, snow might prevent it from getting done at all by late November/early December.

Finally, as for the complaints about running all these second races at tracks, I agree. There are only a handful or so that I would want to see twice a year. And I would like to see some that haven't been on the slate get a place: Gateway and Nashville come to mind. I'd also like to see a return to Rockingham.

Last edited by Purist; 26 Feb 2012 at 06:27.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3031417)   #15
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a NASCAR fan and I don't like road courses. Stockcars should race in circles. That's what stockcars are for.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3031423)   #16
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer the road races because then you see who can really drive a car and who's just a robot who can drive one style alone. The real quality of the likes of Smoke, Kyle and increasingly Marcos shines through.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3031457)   #17
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I agree that racing stockcars on road courses seems strange as a concept at first, NASCAR really works well on them. The cars have large amounts of power with relatively low amounts of grip, meaning the cars can really slide around, and it makes for great racing.

Here just before the caution comes out the #2 and the #18 really show how pushing it really makes these cars slide.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3031473)   #18
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
Road atlanta and road america for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
I could see Road America, Road Atlanta (they test there too, don't they?)
They do test at Road ATL and VIR because of the proximity to Charlotte, the "likeness" to the Glen and Sonoma. Unfortunately, with the NASCAR's manifest destiny expansion, there will NEVER be another NASCAR race added to the Commonwealth or the Peach State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin88 View Post
I'm a NASCAR fan and I don't like road courses. Stockcars should race in circles. That's what stockcars are for.
And I can't argue with that, although, I really enjoy big, heavy V8 powered cars slam off curbs, shift their weights in corners and fly down the straights, singing their beautiful song.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3031545)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Just slip in Road America. They already have a slot in Nationwide so it's not a wild decision that would upset the oval people and Road America is a sporty enough track to keep the roadcourse people grinning. No, I don't believe roadcourses should be flooded into the NASCAR schedule although it would be interesting to find an Avus like track in America and see them race on such a really wide street circuit.

Nothwithstanding last years season finale, the problem is the oval-racing isn't as punchy and satisfying as it used to be in the 80's and 90's. It has been quite often pedestrian in fact maybe the new rules will go some way to redress this.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3031590)   #20
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would be a good 3 or 4 road courses, it is enough but I do not get disappointed if they had more.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3031626)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'd pick Mosport or Montreal first, Austin second, Road America third. Like many of you say, I'd add a road race to the Chase in September, and perhaps a second date in April or August.

Laguna Seca is unlikely because Sears Point is too close (to Laguna Seca and to Nascar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I prefer the road races because then you see who can really drive a car and who's just a robot who can drive one style alone. The real quality of the likes of Smoke, Kyle and increasingly Marcos shines through.
Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Gav View Post
They do TEST at Laguna Seca in NASCARS. The corkscrew would be chaos, though.
Agree. Laguna Seca's layout would be fine, I think. Same for Lime Rock, but it's a tough place to attract non-racing spectators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Street circuits are just out, period. These cars are too big, heavy, and lumbering to be able to actually race around such courses.
Only Buenos Aires has enough width for stock cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Unfortunately, with the NASCAR's manifest destiny expansion, there will NEVER be another NASCAR race added to the Commonwealth or the Peach State.
Sadly, I think the same. The Midwest is very crowded too, that's why I give priority to other regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Finally, as for the complaints about running all these second races at tracks, I agree. There are only a handful or so that I would want to see twice a year.
Agree. To me, the list is Daytona, Bristol, Talladega and Charlotte, for the tradition (mind that I don't watch Nascar races).
Old 26 Feb 2012, 21:25 (Ref:3031634)   #22
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about NJ Motorsports Park?
Old 26 Feb 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3031655)   #23
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst with Local yellows available. Watch Ambrose perform then
Old 26 Feb 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3031684)   #24
Gearhead Gav
Rookie

United States
Concord, CA
I think there should at least be two road races in the Chase. Road America is perfect for stock cars, actually, because long straights.

They do Infineon (Sears Point), Watkins Glen, Montreal, and Road America. I'd call Montreal a street circuit, so I don't see any problem with a track such as Long Beach and St. Petersburg. I reconsider my statement "Long Beach would be a crash fest". If they all dived into turn 1, yes. If they were smart, no.

One thing I must add is they do Trois Rivieres (street course in Quebec) in NASCAR Canadian Tire Series, and that's just fine.

As far as more generic tracks go, I really think Austin could be a track they could realistically race on. I think Nationwide could go to Lime Rock, with the first chicane only being used. It would be pretty awesome, and I, frankly, disagree that courses like these could not be good for racing.

Think about Lime Rock. Long-ish front straight, with plenty of time to jump on the brakes and pass into Big Bend. The esses would be a time where you could get a run on a driver out of the corner, and into the first chicane, you could outbreak him. Then out of the that onto the back straight we go, down to west bend, where you could get another run on him going into the Diving Turn and then finally set him up into turn 1. It would be very hard on the breaks, but very gratifying, I think. I do iRacing and I'm planning to run a NASCAR (Nationwide) Road Series. A lot of people like the idea of Lime Rock!

New Jersey (Lightning) would be perfect. Small-ish, with some nice straights and bends. Miller probably would be a nightmare, but K&N Pro Series went there, so we know it is possible. I see no problem with Barber. There are a bunch of long straights, it would cater to most NASCAR fans because it is all very tight in there, as far as the back and front straights being near each other so people can get a bird's eye view of the action, and there are a lot of beer drinking, hillbilly, NASCAR people around Alabama. Perfect track for NASCAR!

Road Atlanta would be awesome. I have to draw back on Laguna Seca, as it is really tight and does seem to produce "parade racing". But Road Atlanta could be really good for NASCAR, and as most NASCAR fans are in the south, it would cater to their location.

Sebring would actually be pretty awesome. And I think, speaking of Florida, maybe they should do a Daytona road course in place of Daytona in July, or the same for Phoenix or Pocono.

I like the idea of Portland. They did a race there in the truck series a couple of times... it worked out fantastic! I think they could race at Willow Springs (California), because that is a fairly open, fast track. I wish we could do Lake Garnett or Lake Afton, in Kansas, since I've been to those, but I just can't see those happening, as they're about as wide as a golf trail. In fact, Afton IS a golf trail.

Hallett could be OK, but I don't know if they have proper facilities.

Finally, I think Belle Isle could be PERFECT for a NASCAR race. Fast, and not too windey.

Finally... I think they should do an out-of-continent exhibition race. I like the idea of going back to Suzuka again... perfect track for NASCAR.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3031688)   #25
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
One roadcourse for the chase is a must. That there isn't one is a big oversight. That's where you could insert Road America.