Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 15 Oct 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3465219)   #1
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porsche 917K

The first bit of Motor Sport Art from me for a while

Porsche 917K by Alansart, on Flickr

Old 15 Oct 2014, 11:23 (Ref:3465255)   #2
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely stunning Alan. I love the tape detail - quite fantastic!
Old 15 Oct 2014, 12:27 (Ref:3465269)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Simon. I've been working on this for a while in between paying jobs but it's been nice to get back on to racing cars again.

I'm not sure why the 917's had tape and what looks like polythene sheet over the headlights at Le Mans 1970. It all looks a bit Heath Robinson, but I think all 3 Gulf cars had it.

My version shows a nice shiny, sparkling car. If I remember correctly they were a bit tatty in the day
Old 15 Oct 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3465297)   #4
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The patina was well earned I think!
Old 15 Oct 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3465324)   #5
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Jim Craik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan,

Just beautiful!

The tape and headlight covers were employed at the begining of the race to protect the headlight covers until dark. At a dusk pit stop, they would remove the covers, leaving clean headlights for the start of darkness...
Old 15 Oct 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3465330)   #6
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Craik View Post
Alan,

Just beautiful!

The tape and headlight covers were employed at the begining of the race to protect the headlight covers until dark. At a dusk pit stop, they would remove the covers, leaving clean headlights for the start of darkness...
I did wonder if some like that was the case. There's a bit of tape sticking out at the top which I guess was looped back so that it could be pulled off quickly.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 21:29 (Ref:3465441)   #7
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Incredible!
Old 18 Oct 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3466188)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very, very nice Alan!
Old 19 Oct 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3466475)   #9
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Beautiful! Do you do that just for fun, or are you actually making some money off of them?
Old 19 Oct 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3466508)   #10
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
Beautiful! Do you do that just for fun, or are you actually making some money off of them?
I've been a Freelance Illustrator for over 30 years so it is part of my business although this was really produced for myself. I've had a few requests for prints so I'll look into getting a few made.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 13:35 (Ref:3466771)   #11
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alan,

that's really good.

I confirm that the headlight tape and covers were there to protect the light covers until dark. The Perspex was very vunerable and would also crack with being hammered by small debris. It has happened on my replica 917K so I use polycarbonate covers now, but it still gets dreadfully "spattered".

The cars were not tatty to start with, but soon became so ,once the race started as very lightweight bodywork, thin paint, etc,etc, to make them so light, would soon show wear. My own one looks very playworn even though it does not get the long distance races that the originals in period were subjected to. The very design and shape seems to attract more bombardment than any other car I have come across, and the windscreens are particularly prone to chips and cracking.

Let us all know if you do some prints please.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05653.jpg  
Old 21 Oct 2014, 03:48 (Ref:3466986)   #12
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is gorgeous Alan well done !
Old 22 Oct 2014, 12:10 (Ref:3467364)   #13
unlap
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
unlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very cool, Alan. Top work.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3476877)   #14
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
I thought it might be fairly straight forward to convert my original 1979 Gulf 917 illustration to the race winning Salzburg car. It would have probably been almost as quick to start again from scratch as apart from the wheels, windscreen wipers and a few other small bits, everything else has changed. I'm amazed how the specification of two cars in the same race is so different.

Old 25 Nov 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3478696)   #15
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alan,

my goodness, you are good.

When do we see prints for sale please. ?

If you do yet another 917 you will run into the same problem that no two cars were the same, even with the same team. These guided missiles were in a constant development mode and not even the same car stayed the same from practice to race to the next practice to race, and so on.

Oh, how I would like to see you produce the "hippie" coloured 1970 long tail that came second in 1970 to the red and white Salzburg entered short tail that you have just executed so superbly. Similar, but so very different.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3478953)   #16
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Alan,

my goodness, you are good.

When do we see prints for sale please. ?

If you do yet another 917 you will run into the same problem that no two cars were the same, even with the same team. These guided missiles were in a constant development mode and not even the same car stayed the same from practice to race to the next practice to race, and so on.

Oh, how I would like to see you produce the "hippie" coloured 1970 long tail that came second in 1970 to the red and white Salzburg entered short tail that you have just executed so superbly. Similar, but so very different.
The answer to prints is yes. I've just ordered a few samples to check that everything reproduces correctly and once that's sorted I'll add a section to my website with all the info. I've had a lot of interest so it's probably worthwhile.

I've also been asked for all sorts of versions of the 917 but I'll probably start another one from scratch just to add a bit of variation. It's all down to time as I've found myself very busy again partly down to the Porsche pictures.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3486435)   #17
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
I've finally got around to sorting out a web page for the sale of prints from by 917K pictures (kindly approved by admin).

http://www.araine.co.uk/917K/posters.html
Old 22 Dec 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3487197)   #18
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
I've finally got around to sorting out a web page for the sale of prints from by 917K pictures (kindly approved by admin).

http://www.araine.co.uk/917K/posters.html

.......... and what 1st class quality they are.

Mine arrived perfectly wrapped snd safe today.

Thanks Alan.
Old 22 Dec 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3487200)   #19
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're gorgeous Alan. That's when racing cars made your hairs stand on end. I'll see how much is in the kitty after Christmas!
Old 22 Dec 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3487209)   #20
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
.......... and what 1st class quality they are.

Mine arrived perfectly wrapped snd safe today.

Thanks Alan.
Glad you like it.

I've tried to find a good an honest printer and so far he's been very efficient regards print quality and delivery