Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Apr 2017, 03:07 (Ref:3727244)   #51
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
That's what I thought of him when Mercedes hired him, but you have to give him a chance.
It was a very weird race for him. He should have had the advantage, but was instead losing pace. A siatuation like this can't be easily explained with superior and inferior driving skills, at least assuming Bottas is not a very poor driver (which I believe he isn't). According to Bottas the car wasn't handling well and apparently there was massive oversteer. I'm really curious what could have caused it. There is an explanation for part of it:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...rt-bottas-race
From that article.

Quote:

After he made his first pitstop, Bottas was able to challenge Vettel for the lead at the restart, but couldn't make it stick, and from there he fell back as he continued to struggle.

However, as his later sets of tyres were pressured correctly, Bottas is unsure why the rest of his race was so difficult.

Bottas might be unsure, but most people in the paddock know why.

First set of tyres were over by 1.2 psi (reportedly). From there on no issues with tyre pressures. But he blamed his car for the bad handling. Even after trying every setting he could think of. Simple explanation here is, not as good a driver as LH or SV.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 09:51 (Ref:3727292)   #52
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Mercedes should release him immediately!

Richard
Old 17 Apr 2017, 15:34 (Ref:3727347)   #53
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
From that article.

First set of tyres were over by 1.2 psi (reportedly). From there on no issues with tyre pressures. But he blamed his car for the bad handling. Even after trying every setting he could think of. Simple explanation here is, not as good a driver as LH or SV.
While i tend to agree that he's a tick off Hamilton and vettel, it's only his third race after not getting quite a full off-season with the team, and he's been plopped into a difficult spot of knowing he has to refer to Hamilton at least at first. One things for sure: whatever that 4 races to prove himself quite was, he's certainly showing himself to be worthy of the seat as a #2. That's better than most drivers. And he could become more still.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3727351)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bottas has only made one major mistake so far (China) and his pole lap to take advantage of Hamilton's mistake, shows he is giving it his best with going over the top. So his time will come
Old 17 Apr 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3727377)   #55
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Bottas has only made one major mistake so far (China) and his pole lap to take advantage of Hamilton's mistake, shows he is giving it his best with going over the top. So his time will come
Quite. Let's not be too hard on the guy. I'd be surprised if even Toto expects him to match Lulu (or SV) right now, but he made a strong case for himself in qualifying and he'll only get better. His leisurely pace at the start of the race clearly wasn't his fault.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 20:02 (Ref:3727394)   #56
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
If that Bottas guy is no good, then surely his teammate should have grabbed pole.
Or did you mean that he isn't all that good either?
Old 17 Apr 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3727409)   #57
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
If that Bottas guy is no good, then surely his teammate should have grabbed pole.
Or did you mean that he isn't all that good either?
Pole was pure luck. NOBODY else tried hard. You know how it is these days, anyone can do it!

Richard
Old 17 Apr 2017, 20:44 (Ref:3727412)   #58
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A world of difference between taking the pole and winning the race.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 21:02 (Ref:3727415)   #59
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
From that article.

I'm well aware that supposedly hos tyres were pressured correctly from then on. But no, I'm sorry, but "not as good a driver" can't explain such poor performance in such a good car, with supposedly better tyres. Just no.

And if he's as bad as you claim, what is he doing in Mercedes? Did LH pick him specifically
Old 17 Apr 2017, 21:10 (Ref:3727417)   #60
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
A world of difference between taking the pole and winning the race.
Not sure what that point is? Yes, otherwise why have the race? But taking the pole was no simple matter. Especially given he is new to the team and has Lewis as his teammate.

Clearly all of these posts (mine included) are just to point out the absurdity of trashing VB just because he didn't win this race. I find it funny how some of the comments qualify the VB pole with "because LH made a mistake". Well, isn't that usually the reason someone is 2nd? I think some have LH so high on a pedestal they can't conceive that he might not be perfect.

My point is that everyone has their good and bad days. People are reading too way too much into this including some (not you Aysedasi) spouting opinion as fact when it comes to VB's future. VB didn't win. So did a few others who might have. I for one think it is worth watching to see what happens this season vs. making decisions now.

Richard
Old 17 Apr 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3727428)   #61
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
do drivers usually achieve their first race win when also sitting on pole for the first time?

iirc LH did in Canada (i was there/happy memories), Vettee did so in an STR and Webber did (maybe the following year) in a RB.

no doubt the list is much longer than that though.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3727435)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What's the big deal, Bottas got his first pole but didn't win his first race. It's happened before and it will happen again.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 04:15 (Ref:3727463)   #63
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Does anybody else think that Sainz was treated very leniently for torpedoing Stroll?

3 spot grid penalty at next race.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3727505)   #64
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Some team radio from the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOaLUMYvmP8
Old 18 Apr 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3727518)   #65
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
do drivers usually achieve their first race win when also sitting on pole for the first time?

iirc LH did in Canada (i was there/happy memories), Vettee did so in an STR and Webber did (maybe the following year) in a RB.

no doubt the list is much longer than that though.
Nico Rosberg, China 2012
Felipe Massa, Turkey 2006
Old 18 Apr 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3727547)   #66
Richard C
Veteran

Change of pace question...

Does anyone know what the deal was with the guy (maybe more than one) who was on a motorcycle doing burnouts on the front straight during the on podium interviews? It was joked about during the interviews, you could see Lewis watching what was going on while he wasn't actively being interviewed and the world feed showed it during at least two shots including one that looked like an official sheepishly putting a stop to the shenanigans. I can understand fans being allowed onto the track during the podium, but how do you get a motorcycle on track? Maybe a Bahraini elite who was pushing the envelope of his trackside access?

Richard
Old 18 Apr 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3727552)   #67
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Something a bit more interesting, onboard footage from Bahrain. Love the Perez onboard. Great moves there by Sergio.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/f...n-bahrain.html

Want to see more of this type footage from F1.com. Well done.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3727558)   #68
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Nico Rosberg, China 2012
Felipe Massa, Turkey 2006
And of course Crashtor, albeit after Lewis was stripped of pole
Old 18 Apr 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3727570)   #69
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Change of pace question...

Does anyone know what the deal was with the guy (maybe more than one) who was on a motorcycle doing burnouts on the front straight during the on podium interviews? It was joked about during the interviews...
yeah during the podium questions, DC said it was marshals who were doing it which i assumed was DC being polite butmy immediate thought was also someone with privilege pushing the envelope.

probably dangerous and all that but i quite liked it to be honest.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...erence-894991/

Q: Well, we can hear the marshals who have been supporting the grand prix celebrating by revving a motorbike here. You’ve got to say we have a tremendous welcome here in Bahrain, so it’s one your better grands prix?
Old 18 Apr 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3727573)   #70
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Something a bit more interesting, onboard footage from Bahrain. Love the Perez onboard. Great moves there by Sergio.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/f...n-bahrain.html

Want to see more of this type footage from F1.com. Well done.
that really is a great collection of videos and all in one place and on the F1 website to boot...while they have been slow to improve, their site is stating to become a good source of info, articles, and video footage.

and yeah, that first lap by Perez was excellent. great stuff!

side note...given the wider front wings, we really havent been seeing much carbon flying during the starts. credit to all the drivers for that.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3727620)   #71
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Does anybody else think that Sainz was treated very leniently for torpedoing Stroll?

3 spot grid penalty at next race.
Not me. I found it pretty ridiculous when the commentators were saying that the team should have told Stroll that Sainz might make a move up the inside - ie the car that was in front of him only seconds earlier!

Classic case of pretending the other guy will magically disappear once you have your front wing ahead. With how late the overtake happened and how far alongside Sainz was, I would have penalized Stroll for not leaving a car's width for Sainz.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 22:49 (Ref:3727655)   #72
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
More kneejerk experts again i'm afraid Richard. Same happened with Giovinazzi and Bottas in China.
F1 Guy seems incredibly well informed it must be said.... He has Bottas taped already 😉
Old 18 Apr 2017, 23:12 (Ref:3727662)   #73
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Not me. I found it pretty ridiculous when the commentators were saying that the team should have told Stroll that Sainz might make a move up the inside - ie the car that was in front of him only seconds earlier!

Classic case of pretending the other guy will magically disappear once you have your front wing ahead. With how late the overtake happened and how far alongside Sainz was, I would have penalized Stroll for not leaving a car's width for Sainz.
You think??!!

At 2:44 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yXvIbKXehw

Sainz's move was just plain never going to work.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 06:56 (Ref:3727686)   #74
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
You think??!!

At 2:44 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yXvIbKXehw

Sainz's move was just plain never going to work.
Hmm. Hadn't seen that before, only the highlights shown here so I feel a bit silly now! (Thanks for nothing tv producers, several replays of other angles that showed nothing instead.)

I had assumed that Stroll was catching Sainz after he had come out of pit lane, but that was just stupid by Sainz to the point Toro Rosso must wonder about his judgement. Proved he is a proper delusional racing driver at least with the "he hit me" radio call...
Old 19 Apr 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3727727)   #75
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Hmm. Hadn't seen that before, only the highlights shown here so I feel a bit silly now! (Thanks for nothing tv producers, several replays of other angles that showed nothing instead.)

I had assumed that Stroll was catching Sainz after he had come out of pit lane, but that was just stupid by Sainz to the point Toro Rosso must wonder about his judgement. Proved he is a proper delusional racing driver at least with the "he hit me" radio call...
Yup, when I was looking for the clip for you I saw the other angle for the first time and it didn't look like what I'd seen at all.
In the above clip though, I just could not believe how Sainz just drove into Stroll, you could see the accident coming for a long long time and Sainz just plain torpedoed Stroll. No spatial awareness at all!