Old 26 Nov 2003, 11:36 (Ref:794921)   #1
AlexF
Racer

United Kingdom
Newbury
AlexF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any electronic experts?

AIM

Create a stand alone "black box" system to run a mild ALS (anti lag system) on a turbocharged engine with a single carburettor and hall-effect distributor.

REQUIREMENTS

1) Retard the ignition to 35 degrees after top dead centre (retarded) by modifying the signal from the distributor to the low tension side of the coil.
2) An output to drive a electronic throttle stop/choke assembly on carburettor
3) System to be armed by a master control switch and activated by a throttle micro-switch.

BACKGROUND

The coil is fired by the ignition amp opening the low tension circuit, there by introducing a delay will retard the ignition event.
The throttle can be held open by an electronic choke device that could possibly be used to richen the mixture as well if required.

PROBLEMS

The timing need to be altered to 35 degrees after top dead centre, regardless of engine speed. For example at 6000 rpm the engine is running 35 degrees of advance, so the signal needs to be delayed by about 2 milliseconds, if the revs drop to say 1000 rpm the delay increases to about 8 milliseconds as the timing changes to 10 degrees advanced.

When not in operation the system needs to be transparent in terms, i.e. the signal from the distributor is unaltered.

alex
Old 27 Nov 2003, 00:21 (Ref:795640)   #2
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What i would do, would be to take a voltage signal off the wire from the hall effect to give yourself an rpm sensor, and then have a delay box doing the simple time delay calculation and have a system of cutting the hal effects direct link to the ignition and then replacing it with the delayed signal after the cut
Old 4 Dec 2003, 01:05 (Ref:803231)   #3
Aircon
Rookie

Aircon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EFI Technology RACE1.0 ignition controller.

Here's the link

http://www.efitechnology.com/engcontrol.html
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:29 (Ref:803468)   #4
AlexF
Racer

United Kingdom
Newbury
AlexF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by avsfan733
What i would do, would be to take a voltage signal off the wire from the hall effect to give yourself an rpm sensor, and then have a delay box doing the simple time delay calculation and have a system of cutting the hal effects direct link to the ignition and then replacing it with the delayed signal after the cut
Its the delay box I can't design!

alex
Old 5 Dec 2003, 00:32 (Ref:804275)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
o well i can't help you with that but if you give me a day or so I'll see what I can dig up from talking to people.... i can tell you now that it will run you at least a few hundred bucks in materials alone...and will require some programming on your part I don't know how comfortable with that you are.

My other thought if that is going to be to big an endeavour is to use a mechanical movement of the hall effect although that would probably be pretty sketchy and ghetto fabulous way to do it