Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Apr 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3239657)   #1476
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The six wheeled F1 cars did rather stand out at the time
Old 26 Apr 2013, 15:44 (Ref:3239678)   #1477
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Richard, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your posts. You always provide a well thought-out idea/response and just happen to support Porsche.

A+ in my book.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
To use your comparisons - if you strip away the liveries then a P1 Audi / Toyota will look far more different than any NASCAR, MotoGP or Powerboat.
Good point! It guess it seems odd to think that as close as they can look, they are probably more diverse than many other types of racing.

Richard
Old 26 Apr 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3239682)   #1478
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
name me an era of motorsport in any category where anyone but the anoraks can seriously tell the difference between the cars.
Group B rallying. Audi Quattro S1, Ford RS200, Lancia Delta S4, MG Metro 6R4, Peugeot 205 T16 - not easy to get them confused! GT3 cars also are a fairly diverse looking bunch.

If you took the liveries off the LMP1 Audi and Toyota I'd struggle to tell the difference (but then I'm vary much a casual sportscar watcher) - I guess it's just a case of what you're more familiar with.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3239708)   #1479
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Group B rallying. Audi Quattro S1, Ford RS200, Lancia Delta S4, MG Metro 6R4, Peugeot 205 T16 - not easy to get them confused! GT3 cars also are a fairly diverse looking bunch.

If you took the liveries off the LMP1 Audi and Toyota I'd struggle to tell the difference (but then I'm vary much a casual sportscar watcher) - I guess it's just a case of what you're more familiar with.
Differences are clear when you talk about car derived from production ones: rally cars, GTE and GT3, etc.
But if we talk about P1, F1, DP and all the "pure" racing cars, it becames hard to find clear differences for a not well trained observer.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 26 Apr 2013, 17:38 (Ref:3239713)   #1480
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
We mustn't forget that P1 is only one class of several very diverse looking ones in the same race and most of the comparisons we are making are with cars were all the cars in the race are of the same type.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3239771)   #1481
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For those of you who have access there is an interesting article about why Porsche chose LMP for its top line motorsport return and not F1.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...e-for-porsche/
There appears to be no logical reason for a company like Porsche to choose F1 over sportscars especially given its heritage.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3239774)   #1482
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I can tell the difference between Toyota and Audi with my eyes closed. The noise!
Old 26 Apr 2013, 21:26 (Ref:3239798)   #1483
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Of course all P cars look the same...name me an era of motorsport in any category where anyone but the anoraks can seriously tell the difference between the cars. Even in pre-war sportscar races, I often use colour rather than shape to distinguish between cars.

I don't think Prototypes look too similar, they look different enough for me. I could easily tell you which prototype was which if you painted them all white...F1 fan as I am, I'm not sure I could do the same with them.
Group C in 1982 - okay the 956, Ford C100, Rondeau all took a similar approach (but still distinguishable), but chuck in the Sauber, Grid, and Kremer offerings and you've got more variety than you could wag a stick at, to say nothing of everything in between...

Just look at 2009 when Audi and Peugeot, approaching exactly the same regulatory environment, produced the 908 and R15, which nobody was ever in any danger of not differentiating. The big honking fin does blur things, especially to my eye with open cars, but with coupes I figure I can see the difference.

Okay, I'm probably an anorak wearer (was at Silverstone, one will certainly be packed for Spa), and I know 1982 is eons ago, but I figure there's scope to make things clear enough to relatively casual viewers, especially once you factor livery into the equation.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3239803)   #1484
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
For those of you who have access there is an interesting article about why Porsche chose LMP for its top line motorsport return and not F1.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...e-for-porsche/
There appears to be no logical reason for a company like Porsche to choose F1 over sportscars especially given its heritage.
Does it have new quotes vs. the free version or the original Autocar version?
Old 26 Apr 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3239810)   #1485
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Joe Saward made an entry in his blog:

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...orsche-and-f1/

I like the next idea: “there is a lot of publicity around politics and tyres, but not so much about the engines and chassis”
Old 26 Apr 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3239811)   #1486
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Does it have new quotes vs. the free version or the original Autocar version?
It looks back at the situation in 2010 when Porsche made the decision to go with LMP1 rather than anything totally new. There were 3 possible options for an F1 program start a new team, buy an existing team, or supply engines.
The first 2 would have cost a fortune with no certainy of success looking at what happened to BMW, Toyota & Honda.
Engine supply would have been feasable budget wise but did not make sence as there was no input into regulations, no income from FOM and would not be party to the concorde agreement.
Other factors were the road relevance of the regulations, at the time inline 4 cylinder engines was the plan, the lack of freedom in the regs was also a factor.

When one looks at the reasons in 2010 they make even more sence now.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3239827)   #1487
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I can tell the difference between Toyota and Audi with my eyes closed. The noise!
Another two: headlamps, rear spoiler!
Old 26 Apr 2013, 23:39 (Ref:3239828)   #1488
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Porsche if for Le Mans what Ferrari is for Formula 1.
It was obvious Porsche would have chosen Le Mans instead of F1!
Old 27 Apr 2013, 00:23 (Ref:3239832)   #1489
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
One of these promo vids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39yZaNEjM24
Old 27 Apr 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3239837)   #1490
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
Another two: headlamps, rear spoiler!
You can tell that with your eyes closed?
Old 29 Apr 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3240457)   #1491
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
You might like the Porsche ad on this website....

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/
Old 29 Apr 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3240467)   #1492
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
You can tell that with your eyes closed?
Rear spoiler... maybe. Headlamps is effectively harder...
Old 29 Apr 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3240512)   #1493
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
Rear spoiler... maybe. Headlamps is effectively harder...
Old 29 Apr 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3240683)   #1494
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
You might like the Porsche ad on this website....

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/
If you meant the ad banner, it seems to show localized ads, so I'm not seeing it.
Old 29 Apr 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3240690)   #1495
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
If you meant the ad banner, it seems to show localized ads, so I'm not seeing it.
And not only Localized, if it's Google Ads, then it's personalized ads.
Old 29 Apr 2013, 20:07 (Ref:3240737)   #1496
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
And not only Localized, if it's Google Ads, then it's personalized ads.
They must think I am a potential Porsche buyers then! It was an ad showing historical clips from Le Mans each with its own slogan and the caption 'they said it couldn't be done' then finishing with 'mission 2014 were back'

It linked to a website - I will look for the link again tomorrow
Old 29 Apr 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3240758)   #1497
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
They must think I am a potential Porsche buyers then! It was an ad showing historical clips from Le Mans each with its own slogan and the caption 'they said it couldn't be done' then finishing with 'mission 2014 were back'

It linked to a website - I will look for the link again tomorrow
Don't bother http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=1489
Old 6 May 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3243542)   #1498
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will Porsche "follow" the design of Audi or Toyota?

The car will test (road test) pre Le Mans right??
Old 6 May 2013, 13:07 (Ref:3243546)   #1499
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Will Porsche "follow" the design of Audi or Toyota?

The car will test (road test) pre Le Mans right??
Unlikely, there were some rumours about a July shakedown.
Old 6 May 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3243547)   #1500
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, I would place my bet on the shake-down being post Le Mans.