Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Jun 2001, 00:37 (Ref:100297)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Colin Chapman and Richard von Frankenburg - a score to settle

I have on occasion heard stories of how Colin Chapman was forced to take a Lotus Formula Junior car and Peter Arundell to Monza after a racing season to settle a score with Richard von Frankenburg, the Porsche driver and journalist.

Something to do with allegations of cheating or something.

Has anyone got any more details on this? If it's Arundell who was Colin Chapman's "knight champion" that would place it between 1960 and 1964, I think. Any ideas?
Old 3 Jun 2001, 05:28 (Ref:100337)   #2
Roger Clark
Rookie

Roger Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THere was no question of Team Lotus being forced to do this. It happened in late 1962. Von Frankenburg published allegations in a German magazine that Lotus had used an oversized engine in J races that year. Rather than sue him, Chapman offered a £1,000 bet that Lotus could repeat their times at Monza. The bet included the requirement that the magazine give equal space to an apology if Arrundell matched his race speed. THe run took place on December 2nd 1962. THe car was scrutineered by both German and Italian officials. In cold and foggy conditions, Arrundell beat his times for the 30 laps by over a minute.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 17:12 (Ref:100637)   #3
fines
Racer

Germany
Bitburg, Germany
fines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... and the apology duly appeared, in the "auto motor sport" issue of Dec 22, 1962. Arundell's time for the 30 laps was 55'48.7", his winning time at the Lottery GP had been 56'40.8". Additionally, Arundell lowered the FJ lap record to 1'49.8". First allegations had appeared in the Oct 20 issue of "ams" that same year. Ironically, it was a German driver who later admitted to having used an oversize engine, Kurt Ahrens Jr., but on the day following the Monza run, an ONS jury found no evidence and acquitted him "despite doubts".
Old 3 Jun 2001, 19:38 (Ref:100696)   #4
FEV
Rookie

FEV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Richard Frankenberg died (in 1973 or 74) I remember the
article by Jabby Crombac in the french magazine Sport-Auto. He was
telling the story Fines and Roger Clark just mentionned and added
that this was the end of Frankenberg's career both as a journalist
and as a top driver. I think he even was banned for life from the
ONS and didn't have the right anymore to have a german racing
license. Are my memories right ?