Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 22 Sep 2007, 09:54 (Ref:2020318)   #1
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula Ford Carburettor Question

I'm starting to prep a FF1600 for the first time in 22 years and I've forgotten rather more than I thought possible....

The carb, a rather newer version of what I remember, is only squirting fuel into one venturi when the throttle is depressed.

Shouldn't it be adding fuel to both?

Sorry if it's a daft question but I'm having one of those mornings.....
Old 23 Sep 2007, 20:56 (Ref:2021274)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Just about all the dual choke carbs that I have encountered only inject into one side , normally the primary.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Sep 2007, 11:24 (Ref:2021627)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Gordons right, I'm sure the crossflow carb is the same in operation as the DCD on precrossflows

of course you wouldn't dream of gearlinking the 2 chokes and double drilling the accelerator pump jet !!!
Old 24 Sep 2007, 13:06 (Ref:2021728)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Heaven forbid Zef !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Sep 2007, 19:44 (Ref:2022028)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Reverand of Kent has spoken
Old 24 Sep 2007, 20:44 (Ref:2022092)   #6
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aint that a granada carb 40 dgas or some thing of the like?
Old 24 Sep 2007, 22:19 (Ref:2022165)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Granada yes I've been to see the Alhambra Palace there a couple of times its a bit inland from me !
Old 25 Sep 2007, 08:06 (Ref:2022349)   #8
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwoody
aint that a granada carb 40 dgas or some thing of the like?
Technically...... that was referred to as a 'double ****er'
Old 25 Sep 2007, 08:08 (Ref:2022352)   #9
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just been autocensored .....urinator doesn't seem to have the same ring to it!
Old 26 Sep 2007, 21:14 (Ref:2023892)   #10
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think i've got one of those double ...... carby tooters in the shed some where with spiders in it i remember it working real good on the old x flow powered starlet. ah those where the days....
Old 1 Oct 2007, 07:43 (Ref:2027597)   #11
Séamas M.
Racer

Northern Ireland
Lurgan,County Armagh
Séamas M. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the FF1600 Technical Regulations....

5.3 INDUCTION
a) The air cleaner may be removed or replaced and a trumpet fitted.
b) Carburettor Type: Weber 32/36 DGV and DGAV (from 1600 GT "Kent" or 2000 SOHC NE engine).
Number on engine 1
Number of Main Venturi 2
Maximum dia. of Main Venturi 26.0/27.0mm
Maximum dia. of carb outlet to inlet manifold 32.0/36.0mm
c) It is permitted to change jets, open both throttles together, remove cold start devices and diffuser bar, fit internal and external anti-surge pipes, remove seals on emission control carburettors. No other modifications are permitted, chokes must remain standard and no polishing or reprofiling is permitted. Any means of reducing intake air temperature is prohibited. Any form of water injection is prohibited.

I used to find that opening both chokes made no appreciable difference (from the driving seat) but it sure did sound good.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 08:09 (Ref:2027616)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I modded a carb for a Kent FF some while back for a mate and made both chokes open together, but I didn't realise at the time it was legal
Old 1 Oct 2007, 09:44 (Ref:2027695)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would have thought a progressive opening chokes would have worked better especially coming out of corners on a wet day. I use 4 barrel Double Pumpers with mechanically accuated butterflys so the theory is the same and I would not want to set them to all open together as it would be all or nothing and a trip into the barriers on a wet day. However with these carbs you do get a shot of petrol into each barrel.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 12:54 (Ref:2027866)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
[quote=Al Weyman]I would have thought a progressive opening chokes would have worked better especially coming out of corners on a wet day.

Al , I bet the Kent FF boys wish they could get that much power out of the old Ford lump !
Old 1 Oct 2007, 13:07 (Ref:2027880)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
True, true!
Old 1 Oct 2007, 20:47 (Ref:2028288)   #16
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am still waiting for someone explaining the ultimate inlet tube modification trick. realy somebody has to do it!!!
Old 5 Oct 2007, 14:53 (Ref:2032074)   #17
sunseeker
Rookie

sunseeker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you mean like in nascar... putting oxygenated gel in the intake manifold nice... where the hell would you buy that stuff! lol... not at home depot! thats for sure....
Old 6 Oct 2007, 09:20 (Ref:2032712)   #18
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks a lot everyone; it's confirmed it should only squirt into one. What confused me was that the down draft Weber on the FVee we've been running squirts into both.

This FFord hasn't run for more than a year so apart from the clutch disintegrating after 10 laps running we have had a persistent misfire appear at 6200 in top just after changing from third so I'm just going through the usual checks.

Still two weeks to go to the Festival at Brands.....loads of time
Old 6 Oct 2007, 09:53 (Ref:2032729)   #19
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
i am still waiting for someone explaining the ultimate inlet tube modification trick. realy somebody has to do it!!!
Simple! Place either a turbocharger or a supercharger between the air and the head!