Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Apr 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2445444)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula 1 2009 Round 4 - Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Hi folks, your very own Captain Cupcakix here, welcoming you all to the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend thread!

Yes, Round 3 has only ended but then again, Round 4 has just begun. the Formula 1 circus this week heads to the Sakhir circuit in the Kingdom of Bahrain for the fourth round of this year's series. Red Bull yesterday proved they had what it takes to overhaul BrawnGP in the wet, but how about in the dry? Will Vettel and Webber (or anyone else for that matter) be able to make an impression on the Ross Brawn juggernaut?

The Sakhir circuit is certain to be dry this year (even moving the start 'til late afternoon wouldn't change that in Bahrain!), so everyone will get only their second real chance to see how their cars react over a race distance in the dry. The playing field is very much open, and now it looks like the Brawn cars could have a fight on their hands. Felipe Massa has had a love affair with this track, having won the last two races here. But something tells me, with Ferrari having their worst start in 50,000 years (BBC statistics ), that we may well see a new Bahrain GP winner this weekend. Fernando Alonso has two wins here, in '05 and '06, and Michael Schumacher holds the honour of winning the very first Bahrain GP in 2004.

And, if Ferrari fail to score here, it will be their worst start in Formula 1. EVER. Cue dramatic music.

Will Toyota be able to get their form back? I think so. They were hampered over the weekend by problems and flying Robert Kubicas, but this weekend they should get their groove back, so expect both GlockDog and Trulli to feature prominently. Brawn, as always, will be there, thereabouts or off in the distance, and Red Bull should be there to make up the Top 3. McLaren got a little bit of reward for some hard work by a double-point finish in China, but that was in the wet (where even rain-master Hamilton was unable to keep Kovalainen at bay), and they might lack speed in the dry. It will be very interesting, that's for sure...

BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX - STATISTICS

Formula 1 World Drivers Championship Standings
Pos.DriverFlag ConstructorPoints
1.Jenson ButtonBrawn-Mercedes21
2.Rubens BarrichelloBrawn-Mercedes15
Sebastian VettelRBR-Renault10
4.Timo GlockDogToyota10
5.Mark WebberRBR-Renault
6.Jarno TrulliToyota
7.Nick HeidfeldBMW Sauber4
8.Fernando AlonsoRenault4
9.Heikki KovalainenMcLaren-Mercedes4
10.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes4
11.Nico RosbergWilliams-Toyota
12.Sebastien BuemiSTR-Ferrari3
13.Sebastien BourdaisSTR-Ferrari1

All F1 smilies courtesy of Andy Blackmore Design!

Formula 1 World Constructors Championship Standings
Pos.ConstructorFlagPoints
1.Brawn-Mercedes36
2.RBR-Renault19.5
3.Toyota18.5
4.McLaren-Mercedes8
5.BMW Sauber4
6.Renault4
7.STR-Ferrari4
8.Williams-Toyota
56,983.Ferrari0

Bahrain International Circuit
LengthDirectionTurnsLaps (Distance)Lap Record (Driver, Year)Circuit Diagram
5.411 km (3.37mi)Clockwise1557 (308.238km)1:30.252 (Michael Schumacher, 2004)

V Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix
Pos.Driver Constructor
Pole PositionRobert Kubica (1:33.096)BMW Sauber
1.Felipe MassaFerrari
2.Kimi R aikko nenFerrari
3.Robert KubicaBMW Sauber
Fastest LapHeikki Kovalainen (1:33.193)McLaren-Mercedes

Previous Winners
YearDriverConstructor
2007Felipe MassaFerrari
2006Fernando AlonsoRenault
2005Fernando AlonsoRenault
2004Michael SchumacherFerrari

External Links
Local Clock and Weather
Circuit Diagram

Internal Links

Fantasy F1
Predictions

And, very quickly, the TV schedule for Australian viewers:
ChannelDateTimeSession
Sunday, April 262240-0155Race
 2100-2130Pre-Race
  2130-2345Race

Have I overloaded you with information yet? If not, wait until Burnsie arrives and posts all your other vital information! Enjoy!

Last edited by Ralf's Girl; 20 Apr 2009 at 19:02.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Apr 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2445446)   #2
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice work Chatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Have I overloaded you with information yet? If not, wait until Burnsie arrives and posts all your other vital information! Enjoy!
If you insist

For UK viewers and listeners - or whoever can pick up BBC - here are the scheduled television, interactive and radio times for the race weekend...

BBC Television Schedule

DateTime (GMT)Session/ProgrammeChannel
Saturday 25th April1100 - 1315Qualifying
1900 - 2000Graham Hill: Driven
Sunday 26th April0300 - 0400Graham Hill: Driven (R)
1210 - 1500Race
1900 - 2000Race Highlights
Monday 27th April0115 - 0210Race Highlights (R)

BBC Red Button Schedule

DateTime (GMT)Session/ProgrammeChannel
Friday 24th April0755 - 0935Free Practice 1
1155 - 1335Free Practice 2
Saturday 25th April0855 - 1005Free Practice 3
Sunday 26th April1210 - 1500Race
1500 - 1600Interactive Forum
1500 - Tue 1130Race Highlights (looped)

BBC Radio Schedule

DateTime (GMT)Session/ProgrammeStation
Friday 24th April0755 - 0905Free Practice 1
1155 - 1335Free Practice 2
2130 - 2200Grand Prix Preview
Saturday 25th April0855 - 1005Free Practice 3
1155 - 1305Qualifying
Sunday 26th April1300 - 1430Race
BLUE = Radio 5 Live / GREEN = Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

As far as I can see, there will be no Red Button coverage of Qualifying
Old 20 Apr 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2445454)   #3
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Timo GlockDOG in the standings. Fantastic! Priceless! That had me laughing out loud
(sorry I missed it in the China build-up)

On a more thread-related note.. Bring on the weekend! Topsy-turvey grids, topsy-turvey race results, 3 great qualifying sessions, 2.5 great races so far this year. Can't remember a better start to a season.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2445504)   #4
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I won't be watching the live race (or qualifying either) because I'll be off marshalling this weekend, so hopefully I can avoid hearing the result until the highlights programme!

Here's a link to a lap of Bahrain with Michael Schumacher (2006), just in case anyone needs a reminder of the Sakhir circuit.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2445549)   #5
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I lived and worked in Bahrain for quite a few years altogether...great place, nice people. Made me feel right at home.
So the GP is always a must for me. Lots of happy memories AND Formula 1.

Dry race, temp in the 30's I would imagine. If windy/breezy, drifting sand may be a problem.

This IS an exciting season.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2445553)   #6
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brawn'll be looking forward to this one. Gonna be nice and dry again! Hope it's better then some of the previous Bahrain GPs.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2445577)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nive work guys !
Old 20 Apr 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2445638)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good job people!

I predict a snoozefest. Bahrain isn't exactly the greatest circuit and the chances of rain is zilch. (watch it pour down now)
Old 20 Apr 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2445752)   #9
craigd
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
craigd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be good to have a dry race though, calm everything down! I'm betting on a Brawn vs Toyota duel, with Vettel getting cheekily involved also!
Old 20 Apr 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2445772)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
I predict a snoozefest. Bahrain isn't exactly the greatest circuit and the chances of rain is zilch. (watch it pour down now)
Ditto that. A track must be bad when I can't remember any of the races that I've seen from there.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 20 Apr 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2445802)   #11
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
Ditto that. A track must be bad when I can't remember any of the races that I've seen from there.
Thanks for explaining something which was puzzling me, couldn't understand why I can't bring a single corner or incident from Bahrain to mind but I guess you have put your finger on the reason.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2445816)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only things I recall from Bahrain are little scraps. Ralf Schumacher comedy in 2004, Rosbergs run in 2006, Button pulling some nice moves on the slightly hobbled JPM in the same year, Hamilton backing the car around there on his way to outperforming Alonso for the first time in 2007, his horror show in 2008.

Other than that, dullness all round. But let's see what the new regs do in a dry race, impressions from Melbourne were favourable.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2445828)   #13
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
I think that Bahrain will be the acid test of the OWG's reg changes.
The first three races have all been good, so if the changes make for a good race at Sakhir I guess we can say they've succeeded.
Fingers crossed!
Old 20 Apr 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2445832)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It should be noted that two of the races have been wet and thus the fun can't really be attributed to the tech regs. Wet races are always good!

But I am optimistic. Although you can't judge it on Bahrain, as I can't think of many good races there in any series.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2445834)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer 35 View Post
I think that Bahrain will be the acid test of the OWG's reg changes.
Well, maybe.

Bahrain has overtaking. Usually more than most. The whole tight-hairpin --->straight--->tight-hairpin set-up.

If we see loads of overtaking, then perhaps an answer. If there is a reasonable number of moves, then not so much.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2445849)   #16
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
I guess you're right Dutton. Maybe Hungary would be the true test, but that's a long time to wait.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2445934)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
This circuit should provide us with a truer test of individual car performance.Hopefully it will stay dry and be free of safety cars.

Bahrain International Circuit weather forecast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5012?count=10
Old 21 Apr 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2445956)   #18
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Don't forget that Ferrari, Toyota and BMW Sauber did their winter testing in Bahrain... I wonder how much of an advantage (if any) this will give them in their preparations for the weekend.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 00:59 (Ref:2445964)   #19
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Dont forget the Ten-Tenths F1 Spotters Guide! www.spotterguides.com (will update the Brawn helmets to day-glow later in the week ----which means they are now bound to revert to their usual lids!)
Old 21 Apr 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2445965)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Am I right in thinking Bahrain has quite high tyre wear? Or is this something I've dreamt up? If so, do we know what tyre compounds are being taken? Well, I guess I want to know the latter regardless of wear rates.

I'm assuming any teams with a functioning KERS, which they trust enough to race, will definitely use it? It would surely be rather useful on the hairpin-straight-hairpin stuff...
Old 21 Apr 2009, 01:23 (Ref:2445969)   #21
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
Dont forget the Ten-Tenths F1 Spotters Guide! www.spotterguides.com (will update the Brawn helmets to day-glow later in the week ----which means they are now bound to revert to their usual lids!)
I see that in the announcement of their 2009 diecast collection, Minichamps have said that they will be producing "late season livery" Brawn GP models, so apparently they know more than we do. Looks like you might have more than helmet designs to change before long Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I'm assuming any teams with a functioning KERS, which they trust enough to race, will definitely use it?
Ferrari are aiming to have KERS back on both cars this weekend, but I couldn't see Kubica giving the system another try.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2446142)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Well, I guess I want to know the latter regardless of wear rates.
Supersofts and Mediums again for Bahrain.Softs and Hards for Barcelona.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 14:55 (Ref:2446364)   #23
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Well, maybe.

Bahrain has overtaking. Usually more than most. The whole tight-hairpin --->straight--->tight-hairpin set-up.

If we see loads of overtaking, then perhaps an answer. If there is a reasonable number of moves, then not so much.
I don't think that Bahrain will have too much overtaking, and I don't think it will mean the OWG has failed if it doesnt. The problem with Bahrain isn't the track layout... it's the huge amount of sand/dust on the track as soon as you move of the ideal line.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2446397)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'm guessing the low grip nature of the Bahrain track wont be helping Ferrari then.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 15:55 (Ref:2446404)   #25
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Hirohide Hamashima - Bridgestone Director of Motorsport Tyre Development:
Quote:
The super soft tyre should present more of a challenge in terms of durability than the medium, however the data from the pre-season tests show that this tyre can be managed well on this track if the correct set-up is found. There is a lot of heavy braking here, and if a car has less than ideal traction, additional unwanted heat can be created and this will make matters more difficult for competitors.
Sounds like we might see a tyre situation similar to Melbourne, with the super softs only being useful for a very short period of time.