Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Apr 2004, 08:06 (Ref:953173)   #1
GXH
Racer

GXH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson Button 2 go 2 Ferrari ?

Rising Formula One star pilot Jenson Button is in line to replace six-time world champion Michael Schumacher at Ferrari it was revealed by the legendary team's technical director Ross Brawn on Monday.

The 24-year-old British BAR-Honda driver has been the revelation of the season as he has finished on the podium in the last three races climaxing with second position behind Schumacher in Sunday's San Marino Grand Prix and lies third in the overall standings.

Brawn told BBC radio that Button would definitely be on any shortlist when 35-year-old Schumacher - who has won all four races this season - finally called it a day. "One day Michael's going to stop and you've got to look around and see who's the best at that stage," Brawn said. "I think Jenson will be on that list for sure."

Brawn added that Button was at last showing the talent that brought him a drive with Williams in 2000 and then a move to Benetton but which had seen him fail to garner a top three finish before this campaign.

"I think he's doing a fantastic job. He knows the circuits now and he's learning how to work with the teams," said Brawn. "I think he'll be a hot property in the next couple of years. I think he showed signs in the early days, but if you get in the right environment and the right people behind you believe in you it raises your game. You see all the signs of that."

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html
Old 27 Apr 2004, 08:30 (Ref:953188)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This short list is quite long now.

JB is one of the top drivers in F1 so any team will consider him.

Last edited by Adam43; 27 Apr 2004 at 08:30.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 08:32 (Ref:953191)   #3
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Told you this last week
Old 27 Apr 2004, 08:33 (Ref:953192)   #4
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the list will be Kimi, Jensen and Alonso.

MW may be a possibility but his race pace is not as good as his qualifying, a bit like jarno. Without the race pace, I dont think he will be on the list.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 09:29 (Ref:953252)   #5
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never been an MW apologist but I think the reason he's not got the race pace is more down to the Jag not being a consistent enough car yet.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 09:36 (Ref:953259)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that if Ferrari are to continue being at the top after MS's retirement the three drivers they choose from should be Alonso, Webber & Button.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 09:37 (Ref:953262)   #7
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well,

Ferrari two years ago had Montoya lined up to replace Schumacher.

Ferrari six months later had focussed on landing Kimi Raikkonen when Schumacher retires.

Ferrari that more than a year ago decided Felipe Massa would be the future leader of team

Ferrari just last year had Fernando Alonso penned in as Schumacher's successor.

So?
Old 27 Apr 2004, 09:40 (Ref:953266)   #8
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But, for sure, Brawn has a point. He just told that Button would definitely be on any SHORTLIST when 35-year-old Schumacher - who has won all four races this season - finally called it a day.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 09:41 (Ref:953270)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber's lack of race pace is entirely due to the very average Jaguar as I understand it - the car wears its tyres very badly, which is actually a help in qualifying because they get a lot of heat into the rears very quickly.

Alonso, Kimi, Jenson or Webber - any of those would be geat, although of those four I reckon it is Alonso that has the extreme gift.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 09:46 (Ref:953274)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you want to keep the band together, I would say Webber would be the one to aim for... he has keps those guys happy and upbeat despite the most unpromising of car designs...

...never bags them when others trying to inflate their own self worth belittle those around them... (anyone else remember Prost and the Ferrari-designed 'truck' episode )

2005 WDC for Ferrari... M. Webber!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Apr 2004, 11:33 (Ref:953390)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
But is Schu EVER going to retire?

It would be wierd seeing one of my favourite drivers driving a car that I've been desperate to see loose/break down/crash for the last 4 years!!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 11:50 (Ref:953409)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
to be fair most of the top teams will be looking at Jenson but with the rate of progress shown by BAR why would he want to leave?
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:03 (Ref:953424)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just love the way the media manages to turn "One day Michael's going to stop and you've got to look around and see who's the best at that stage, I think Jenson will be on that list for sure." into "BUTTON TO JOIN FERRARI!!"

Read Ross's words alone and you have a true representation. If Jenson is still showing his current form, they'd be foolish not to look at him! But I'm sure they'll also be looking at JPM, Kimi, Fernando, Mark Webber and no doubt a couple of others we didn't think of...
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:13 (Ref:953442)   #14
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a complimenet from Ross, but also a blatant attempt to destabalise the up and coming threat to Ferrari. Brawn's a clever man and by coming out with these compliments is trying to distract BAR and Button slightly. If JB continues with this form then undoubtedly he'll be hot property - since the US GP last year he's been the 2nd most impressive driver, behind Michael. I feel proud, but just wish that the ITV would stop playin' that ruddy 'Catch me if you can' song everytime they focus on him - it makes me cringe...!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:21 (Ref:953457)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
If you want to keep the band together, I would say Webber would be the one to aim for... he has keps those guys happy and upbeat despite the most unpromising of car designs...

...never bags them when others trying to inflate their own self worth belittle those around them... (anyone else remember Prost and the Ferrari-designed 'truck' episode )

2005 WDC for Ferrari... M. Webber!
Unfortunately for Alain, he had 3 WDCs and the glare of the spotlight aimed at him by Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell to contend with. Not an easy time.

Webber is the coming man, although his lustre may fade with Button doing so well with BAR andAlonso around. Kimi should be worried. JPM might panic.

Last edited by Mattracer; 27 Apr 2004 at 12:23.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 27 Apr 2004, 15:13 (Ref:953617)   #16
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spider
I feel proud, but just wish that the ITV would stop playin' that ruddy 'Catch me if you can' song everytime they focus on him - it makes me cringe...!
Argh! I agree, its shameless!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 15:15 (Ref:953620)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They can show as many pictures of Louise as they like though.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 15:18 (Ref:953623)   #18
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good point well made, Glen!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 15:21 (Ref:953625)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1
Well,

Ferrari two years ago had Montoya lined up to replace Schumacher.

Ferrari six months later had focussed on landing Kimi Raikkonen when Schumacher retires.

Ferrari that more than a year ago decided Felipe Massa would be the future leader of team

Ferrari just last year had Fernando Alonso penned in as Schumacher's successor.

So?
So nothing. Ferrari is a top team, obviously they set eyes on the best drivers available; all of them. No shock news here. And obviously they won't really want to get a stupid driver, just because "he deserves a chance". They'll get one of the bests.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 15:47 (Ref:953642)   #20
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, Ferrari in "Would employ good driver when Schumacher retires" scandal.

Hardly surprising is it?

I seem to remember the same things being said back in 2000 when Button first came in the F1. Ferrari will look at all the good drivers available when Michael retires. It's not a shock that Jenson is on that list when you look how well he's driving this year!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 16:02 (Ref:953659)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah..can't imagine the fuss..every top teams target the best available drivers for their teams...and Button's current form can surely earn him a good future.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 16:11 (Ref:953670)   #22
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyway, this link is kinda useless. Disregard that actually Jenson is an excellent driver, but what would you, teammanager, would say when asked "what's yout opinion on J... I mean Driver X"? "Nah, he's a loser" or "sure, we keep an eye on him and he's on short list"?
Old 27 Apr 2004, 16:27 (Ref:953692)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote Red : "they (ferrari) won't really want to get a stupid driver"

Psst Red...last i've heard, Ferrari's lead driver is REALLY stupid ..*tongue in cheek*

Anyways, quoted spider "It's a complimenet from Ross, but also a blatant attempt to destabalise the up and coming threat to Ferrari."...i'm sorry, but did anybody suggest Frank is destablising Jaguar and BAR when they suggested that they're looking at Webber and Button as potential replacements?
Old 27 Apr 2004, 18:05 (Ref:953788)   #24
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This whole thing about replacing michael when he retires is not as simple as it seems. How do we know if ferrari will still be at the top after michael has gone and how do we know if other key members of the team will remain when he decides to go in fact if key members of the ferrari team decide to go when michael does they could go to bar and join button
Old 27 Apr 2004, 21:32 (Ref:953905)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
One of the key comments in this item from Brawn is the one in the last paragraph. The one that goes "in the right environment with the right people...who believe in you ..the driver raises his game"
How many drivers that have been bagged in this forum have one or more of those factors missing in their present situations? Probably all of them!