Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Dec 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1791822)   #1
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irish HRCA Cut off Date Moved

I see the HRCA (Irish Historic racing class) cut off date has just been moved from pre '74 to pre '79 and a class for GTand Modsports has been introduced.
Anyone got an old modsport Midget or spaceframe Imp in their garage??!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 23:45 (Ref:1791831)   #2
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Oops, should have posted this in the Historic Racing Today section.
Can anyone change it for me??
Old 16 Dec 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1791983)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, no problem! Now moved!
Old 17 Dec 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1793080)   #4
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Thanks for that, not sure what I was thinking...So, anyone know the whereabouts of a modified Midget or Imp??
Old 20 Dec 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1796135)   #5
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Leo

The brother was on to me already is there a web address so i can down load the reg,s and is it true that i would need treades tyres on the imp

col
Old 20 Dec 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1796221)   #6
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Good man Colin! Be great to see that car back at Mondello again. Regs seem a little unclear at the moment but GT and Modsport cars up to '79 are in. Steve Griffin is already prepping Liam Plower's old Midget so it'll be like a flashback to the seventies if you bring the Imp over here!!
Old 21 Dec 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1796580)   #7
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wondering...does the car have to be as run in period or just the shell. Can I run a bike engined '74 Mini?? Or maybe I could spaceframe the 128......!!
Old 21 Dec 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1796817)   #8
mcullen
Rookie

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
mcullen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin, the new Irish regs are available to download from www.motorsportireland.com, in the download section under the 2007 yearbook. It states road legal tyres required with a minimum of 1.6mm tread. Its going to be a bit of a job to find these to fit the 10 x 13 Davrian wheels.
Regards
Maurice
Old 21 Dec 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1797038)   #9
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
Thanks lads i had a look at the reg,s it seems crazy to run mod saloons on treaded tyres surley if the old cars from years ago that raced at mondello are going to come back out they should be able to run on what they had back in the 80,s and 90,s slicks .Im not to sure i will run the car as its just more expence to get a set of wheels and tyres when it has slicks on it but if i could run it in a closed wheel libre race then i may do that

col
Old 23 Dec 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1798299)   #10
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Hi guys, i think there was talk of allowing slicks but I'm not sure, myabe cut slicks would be the way to go
Paul, I think you could spaceframe the 128 but not run a 'bike engined job.........Unless it has a Triumph Bonneville lump!!!!!!
Old 3 Jan 2007, 12:59 (Ref:1805104)   #11
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyres , will clearly be the issue, as they were some years ago when , rally tyres marked for competition only were used , leading to major arguements at the time. I agree finding road tyres to fit the Davrian could prove difficult .The question must be asked , have the regs been thought out as , I understand a large number of HRCA members are not in favour of the change .
Old 3 Jan 2007, 14:16 (Ref:1805174)   #12
mcullen
Rookie

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
mcullen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one happen to agree with the rule changes for 2007. I tried to race with the historics in 2006 as they had a class for 1975-78 cars. However this class was not allowed to race with the historics, but had to race with the Libre single seaters and my little Davrian struggled against them (its hard to enjoy a race when you are all the time looking in your rear view mirror for F3000 cars which are lapping you). If the rules had not changed I would not be racing this year. I also believe it would not be fair if modsport cars could run on slicks and the historics had to run on road legal tyres while sharing the one grid.
I will be using my visit to the Autosport show next week to find road legal tyres to fit the Davrian.
Maurice
Old 3 Jan 2007, 17:21 (Ref:1805296)   #13
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Alan Kessie might be worth a call, as he had that spaceframe Midget on road tyres, (although they did look a little stretched across the rim) last year. I've ben looking at a semi spaceframe Midget in the Uk but I think there's a HRCA AGM coming up so it'll be interesting to see what happens at that first.
I was at their last meeting and there were arguments for and against and eventually they decided to ask MI to leave their rules the same, ie pre '74, a cut off date that has not moved for almost 8 years incidentally.............
To be honest, even on slicks, a pre '79 <1350cc GT is going to have a job to beat the Tiger......
I can see everyone's point of view on this debate though. Anyone else got a view?
Old 3 Jan 2007, 17:27 (Ref:1805303)   #14
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Road tyres on those cars are plain bonkers ! What's the problem with going with slicks ? I used ex-FF2000 slicks on my Modsport Midget back in the day, when I had precious little money. I'm sure that there's a way of getting cheap slicks that people could buy new and used.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 10:03 (Ref:1805907)   #15
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Yeah, maybe there's a cheap hard slick available somewhere, or even a cut slick???
Old 4 Jan 2007, 18:23 (Ref:1806445)   #16
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Guys, as someone who has had to get road legal tyres just to fit the mad Irish regs, I can assure you that Yoko's or Kumho all do wide (I've seen 250x13's) 'road legal' tyres. These are basically medium compound cut slicks that only a madman would use on the road. I use a set of AO48r's on the Fiat and they give as much grip as the Dunlop slicks I used to run on my old Golf....as long as you get heat into them first. Also be wary of over-tyring the cars. I am, under Fia Group2 regs, allowed a 9x13' rim on slicks on the Fiat, but a modern slick would be like glue under it. Its one of the reasons for my 6x13's. The old rubber stones that some of the cars ran in the 70's wouldnt give as much grip as a Kangyang Remould on a Micra now!
Old 5 Jan 2007, 17:49 (Ref:1807669)   #17
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
Well for me to bring the old mans car back for a run at mondello it will have to be in a libre race as its not realy worth me buying treaded tyres to run 1 race a year because living in london is a long way to go every few weeks

col
Old 5 Jan 2007, 18:17 (Ref:1807686)   #18
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Ah yes Col, its all part of the 'encourage people back racing' scheme!! You mean you dont travel by chopper and have the truck and car waiting? Shame on you.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1807699)   #19
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
That would be no fun to arrive and drive. I do all the work on the car myself i watched and lernt from the father and it now runs a dry sump as the imps suffer from oil surge under hard braking .I would love to bring the car over and get the father behind the wheel again just to see how he would go in it then again he may put my lap time to shame if i let him have a go

col
Old 5 Jan 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1807700)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having Dan behind the wheel of that Imp would surely be enough to allow it take the grid on slicks... let he who wants to object stand up !
Old 5 Jan 2007, 19:02 (Ref:1807706)   #21
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Or....you could put her through scrutiny on wets....the fit the slicks and join practise from the pitlane..................

WHO SAID THAT????????
Old 5 Jan 2007, 19:13 (Ref:1807711)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

Better still Col, put Dan in the car at the start [on slicks of course]... he'll have built up such a lead that he'll be able to come into the pits and swap drivers to give you a chance to cross the finish line.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1807824)   #23
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Unless I purchase the secret weapon I have my eye on............ I know, I know, you'll all tell me an A series will break my heart and my bank balance...........
Going to look at a 1480cc A35 tomorrow by the way.........
As ever, not sure why!!!!
Old 6 Jan 2007, 11:02 (Ref:1808066)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

Leo... do it, buy it ! Now's not the time to get cold feet If nothig else, you'll get a good 20 years of mileage talking about it, like me and most of the others that have raced them.

By the way, what happened to the South Dublin A-series aficionados of the 1980s... Noel McDonnell from Churchtown, Geoff Fernihough from Firhouse... they had so much kit, wonder where its all gone.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1808296)   #25
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noel , is still around , saw him in the DIY store recently , an old road going midget lurks in his garden. Met the Davrian man befoe Christmas , I think he has got the bug out of his system.