Old 8 Sep 2016, 12:42 (Ref:3670979)   #27
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Nobody in the assembly area has the proper authority to be able to legitimately do anything.
Who says? There are three or four entries in the blue book (which I am not about to quote) which say that the competitors must obey the instructions of the Marshals or officials. That means, in short, if the Marshals tell you to put on your HANS then you will put on your HANS or give your reasons to the CoC.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 19:28 (Ref:3671081)   #28
anna_blakemore
Racer

anna_blakemore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox View Post
Who says? There are three or four entries in the blue book (which I am not about to quote) which say that the competitors must obey the instructions of the Marshals or officials. That means, in short, if the Marshals tell you to put on your HANS then you will put on your HANS or give your reasons to the CoC.
It doesn't actually say 'marshal or official' it only says 'official'. When you read the blue book it doesn't seem to refer to marshals as officials they are separate. Maybe this is because 'officials' are licenced and marshals are 'registered'.
Don't really see why you wouldn't wear a HANS device and if your noticed in the assy area without it and asked about it in most cases its probably a mistake.
That said im pretty sure most CofC's would refuse to let the car out onto track if it was reported by the marshals. And in most cases scrutineers are in the area so can hold a car back for safety reasons.
Old 8 Sep 2016, 20:08 (Ref:3671089)   #29
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I have often read in the Finals that 'marshals are Judges of Fact'. Anyway, no need for the thread to descend to a deep discussion on 'marshals can/cannot do this, that or the other'. Back on topic, who would agree that Darwin is at work here?
Old 9 Sep 2016, 07:55 (Ref:3671194)   #30
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Back on topic, who would agree that Darwin is at work here?
Well, in the case of HANS over straps, I think probably not. I would suspect that Darwin and evolution hasn't quite caught up with that individual as yet

Last edited by Terrible-Tones; 9 Sep 2016 at 08:07.
Old 9 Sep 2016, 08:29 (Ref:3671203)   #31
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember watching a Top Gear once where the presenters used a HANS device but over the straps. IIRC It may even have been with a lap and diagonal belt.

Funny part is, the BBC is *so* keen on the right certificated PPE but they never check it's used properly! I've lost count of the number of times I've seen "neck braces" used upside down, where they will cause more injury than not wearing them!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Sep 2016, 09:19 (Ref:3671216)   #32
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Aren't we overthinking this?

Responsibility for the meeting being run within the MSA regulations & any supplementary regs applicable to an individual championship/series/whatever & for the imposition of penalties for any breach of those regs lies with the Clerk of the Course.

Clerks can only act on what they see or hear.

You, as a marshal, are the "eyes & ears of the Clerk of the Course". (Well, if you want to be pedantic, the Blue Book says that Observers are eyes & ears of the Clerk of the Course.)

As far as Judges of Fact are concerned, my understanding is that a marshal is only a Judge of Fact if specifically designated as such.
Old 9 Sep 2016, 13:43 (Ref:3671245)   #33
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Aren't we overthinking this?

Responsibility for the meeting being run within the MSA regulations & any supplementary regs applicable to an individual championship/series/whatever & for the imposition of penalties for any breach of those regs lies with the Clerk of the Course.

Clerks can only act on what they see or hear.

You, as a marshal, are the "eyes & ears of the Clerk of the Course". (Well, if you want to be pedantic, the Blue Book says that Observers are eyes & ears of the Clerk of the Course.)

As far as Judges of Fact are concerned, my understanding is that a marshal is only a Judge of Fact if specifically designated as such.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 09:54 (Ref:3674677)   #34
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
This Hans device saved my life. As you can see with all the BLOOD on it, the cut straps that hold my helmet. Without I'd be dead. Kids.. Always remember to wear your safety equipment!!!

This looks like the benefits of wearing a HANS.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 23:40 (Ref:3675158)   #35
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Well thank the stars you didn't opt for self selection to the Darwinian Awards bludvl_x19.

The stupidity of some people who will not wear safety equipment is just mind boggling!

Hope you are recovered, that looks nasty!

What happened?
Old 25 Sep 2016, 23:46 (Ref:3675160)   #36
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I posted this once before, the benefits of a HANS device are self evident!

The navigator has no problem, the driver has had his neck stretched, relatively small accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE
Old 26 Sep 2016, 01:02 (Ref:3675168)   #37
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Well thank the stars you didn't opt for self selection to the Darwinian Awards bludvl_x19.

The stupidity of some people who will not wear safety equipment is just mind boggling!

Hope you are recovered, that looks nasty!

What happened?
Whoa... I didn't realise that the link disappeared.
Thats not my HANS, it belongs to a driver called Matt Mingay. He crashed a Stadium Super Truck and spent a decent amount of time in hospital afterwards.
https://www.facebook.com/Mattymingay...type=3&theater
Old 26 Sep 2016, 01:53 (Ref:3675178)   #38
wnut
Veteran

Oh well! Got my attention, glad you are OK!

Did not understand how this worked in the posts associated with the link though???!!!!

"Caitlin Fabish-Wood Love that you've shared this. I volunteer with an St John, and at an event we had a competitor on a mountain bike hit a tree, and he had one of these on. He ended up with fractured ribs and suspect a clavicle, however without it he probably would have been paralyzed. These things save lives!!"

How do you wear a HANS on a bicycle?
Old 26 Sep 2016, 06:28 (Ref:3675200)   #39
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not a HANS in cycling it's something similar. It's a properly designed neck brace for cycle use, they've been around some time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk