Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 Jun 2003, 12:57 (Ref:640121)   #26
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hang on. Has the programme been aired yet? Has anyone seen this footage? Or is everybody making assumptions on what Top Gear did to the car based on comments higher up? Honest questions, folks.

Clarkson does seem to enjoy doing the odd burnout and donut in things these days, but I have never seen The Stig do anything other than drive round that track very quickly. Of course he has been known to get in the odd spin and do a bit of offroading now and again, but all in the process of finding the limit.

Talking of Renaults, I have to say I was mighty impressed with what they did with that Megane last night. And even more impressed with how it stood up to the impact.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 13:57 (Ref:640201)   #27
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did see Richard Hammond holding a newspaper with a historic looking car on it on last nights show.

Thing about Renaults though, is they spontaneously ignite like the ones down my local scrappy!
Old 23 Jun 2003, 16:44 (Ref:640394)   #28
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
I however think the matter that irked Hamilton was Clarkson at the others refering to Hamiltons father being drunk when he was driving the car to its historic win.
To be fair, that's in Duncan's autobiography...I think Tony Rolt's family were rightly annoyed, a good yarn but no more.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 16:54 (Ref:640406)   #29
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the truest show of skill in a driver is being able to drive a car hard and not break it. Obviously that got lost somewhere on our top gear frined. Its a lemans car i don't think its all that asy to break, unledd you put in someone who managed to crash a movie car unintentionally
Old 24 Jun 2003, 00:00 (Ref:640900)   #30
Edgar Jessop
Rookie

Edgar Jessop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a sad reflection on the age we live in when that charming Adrian Hamilton who is definitely one of the nicest people I've ever done business with, should be reduced to publicising his car-sales business by having to be associated with a famously drunken but otherwise not too successful sports car racer.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 07:43 (Ref:641137)   #31
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Has anyone yet seen footage of what was done with the car? I'm still interested to learn exactly what happened to cause the damage.

There's a lot of talk about the car being driven badly - either carelessly or deliberately - but do we actually know that to be the case?
Old 25 Jun 2003, 16:56 (Ref:642823)   #32
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have a look at Atlas' equivalent thread about this matter, and especially post #17 from esteemed motoring historian and thoroughly principled chap Doug Nye.

http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread...threadid=58420
Old 26 Jun 2003, 02:50 (Ref:643312)   #33
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After all the fuss made over this issue, I wouldn't be surprised if the show that goes to air is conveniently edited to protect some parties involved.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 07:05 (Ref:643401)   #34
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
That's too funny! What a miserable prat! What did he expect? If he was concerned about possible damage then he should have agreed a suitable compensation arrangement when offering the car.
Or bought a Nissan Micra instead

Apart from the 'twisted drive shaft' the other things are consumables anyway, tyres, clutch. Might as well moan that they used some petrol as well.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 11:25 (Ref:643607)   #35
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reading Doug Nye's comments, it seems to me that the fuss is as much due to the ATTITUDE that Top Gear appear to have had towards what is a very historic car. If it had been worn out or damaged in normal, hard running, I expect Mr Hamilton would have stayed quiet, but to perform doughnuts and other unnecessary 'stunts' with the car is unacceptable and the BBC should acknowledge that.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 12:43 (Ref:643693)   #36
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The show with the C-type footage was shown I couple of weeks before Le Mans, so the filming was probably a month before it hit the papers.

At the time I thought that old Stiggy was throwing it around a bit.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 01:30 (Ref:644258)   #37
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I don't understand is why they think the viewers would want to see an historic sports car thrashed and trashed anyway ? - surely it's nice just to see it driven well and shown some respect because of what it is. It does seem that Top Gear these days don't know how to do anything unless it's sideways with lots of smoke coming off the tyres! but then I s'pose it is more for the hoonin' boy racer these days than the real car enthusiast, but it sounds to me as though it wasn't necessary to do what they did to such a classic and I agree that Hamilton leant them the car believing they would treat it with respect but I'm totally with you Evil that at the very least surely you would stay around to see what they were going to do with it and to step in if required but then as I said one presumes he probably thought they would look after it - perhaps Top Gear need to grow up just a little bit ?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 12:15 (Ref:644675)   #38
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was stupid, by both parties, top gear should never even consider driving it like that, but the owner should've known that there was a chance it would be.
i say the answer is to shoot Clarkson!