Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 10 Jun 2003, 10:52 (Ref:626950)   #1
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My New Car

Finally got a new car to replace the '82 Laser.

A red 1995 Seat Ibiza GTi. I am picking it up on Saturday.

This car's got a 2.0L engine in a quite small body. Unfortunately it's not the 16 valve, but it's got adequate power and super torque.

Took it for a test drive along Henley Marine Drive the other day and was mightily impressed. Compared to my friend's Suzuki GTi I drove a couple of years ago, the thing flies, and it is pretty damn sharp around corners.

The car set me back AUS$13K, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

Anyone got any info or insights into Seats or the Ibiza GTi that I should know?

I'll post some pics when I get it home.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 23:27 (Ref:627686)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
dunno much about them mac , but from what Ive seen they are quite zippy , you should have hours of fun in peak hour traffic.

havent heard any compliants either so you may just be onto a bargain.

congrats its always nice to get a new car
Old 11 Jun 2003, 10:07 (Ref:628037)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I sit on a seat.

Sorry, it was so bloody obvious!
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:13 (Ref:628157)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've had a drive when they came out. Went quite well but at the time was a tad overpriced. Only problem you may get, other than nobs saying things about the car name, would be the SEAT specific spares (rather than VW/Audi Group shared parts). A nicer piece of kit than the equivalent Golf on sale out here at the time.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:24 (Ref:628177)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting hold of it and having a bit of a blat along my favourite roads.

I also like the fact it's a bit different. Not everyone will know what it is.

I thought about parts, but the VW dealer here in Penrith was a Seat dealer when they were sold here, and I'm hoping they will be able to help me out in that department.
Old 11 Jun 2003, 12:32 (Ref:628187)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
nobs saying things about the car name!!!

So cruel elephant man. It was just a little joke, or lack there of.

After all they flogged these things on Wheel of Furtune.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 13:51 (Ref:629460)   #7
mac
Veteran

And The Price Is Right!

Your humour was duly noted Moff.

Only two sleeps to go.....

Last edited by mac; 12 Jun 2003 at 13:52.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 01:11 (Ref:630128)   #8
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunno if it's applicable to the GTi, but the regular Ibiza had a Porsche developed engine. Might be something to do with why it goes so well? I had to drive a van version for a while, and thought it was quite good (which is saying something, coz I like big cars!)
Old 19 Jun 2003, 10:42 (Ref:636443)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
mac, when I've run my little car in want to go driving?

There's a bit on them in the latest Motor actually. Both the GTi and Cupra Sport. I know I wanted the Cupra when it came out but I had no money at the time.
Old 28 Jun 2003, 10:04 (Ref:645346)   #10
mac
Veteran

The new car is a pearler. No huge amounts of power, but a really light car with lots of torque and great handling makes for big smiles. Just a really nice little car.

One beef I have is the fuel consumption, which isn't great. I'm doing a gnat's franger over 3000rpm in 5th at 110kph. The close ratio box is a joy to use, but I do a fair bit of freeway work and Dad's Lantra is a lot less thirsty.

But otherwise, I'm very happy.

PS. That sounds great elephino. I'd be very keen. The MOTOR piece came out about 2 days before I picked my car up - talk about coincidence.