Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 16 Jul 2003, 18:18 (Ref:663105)   #1
sunflower
Rookie

sunflower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
car mistaken identity

A little while ago I was waiting for a parking space when a lady & her kids returned to her car - except she walked straight past her own car & tried to unlock another car. It was exactly the same colour/model etc. Everytime she used her remote the indicators flashed on the other car - she didn't realise for ages then her boy said 'this isn't our car mum'. She then started laughing when I pointed her own car out.

Before the new style no plates were around, when you bought a new car it's enitivenable that several other cars in the same town will have the same reg but slightly diff no. My bro once chased after a car cos he thought they had nicked his - same colour/model but 1 digit diff in the reg.

Anyone else have similar stories?
Old 16 Jul 2003, 19:41 (Ref:663226)   #2
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Mum and Dad came out of the supermarket once, unlocked the car, opened the boot, and ...

"Hang on, this isn't our shopping!"
Old 16 Jul 2003, 20:35 (Ref:663275)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard a story once of a chap who, while driving from a concert at Milton Keyns Bowl noticed , when attempting to play a tape, that his stereo wasn't his....then he noticed in the mirror a spoiler that he didn't have....
He drove back to the concert venue and was greated by the cars owner and the local Plod all standing around his car which he'd left there! The cars involved were 70's Fords

That's why it's a bad idea to drive when you're tired!!

Last edited by Bluebottle; 16 Jul 2003 at 20:36.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 22:27 (Ref:663387)   #4
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently my grandfather once had an A35 and had been on a rare trip into Manchester. He went back to his van, drove back to the farm in Lancashire and as he got out, wondered about the briefcase sitting on the passenger seat. At that point he had to phone the police to explain that he'd left his A35 parked in Manchester and had driven home in somebody else's

A few years ago, quite a lot of people in my workplace happened to have Fiestas. One day, one of the women opened another of the cars by mistake. That got people talking and a check round revealed that everyone who owned a Fiesta could open one other car besides their own on the car park.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 22:33 (Ref:663391)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Been there too - had a navy blue Rover P6, and got into it one day and wondered who'd nicked the packet of sweets from the dashboard. I realised something was really wrong when I noticed the manual shift had morphed into an automatic. At that point, I carefully re-locked the Rover and found mine five cars back from it, and as far as I know, the owner was none the wiser.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 19:05 (Ref:665186)   #6
sunflower
Rookie

sunflower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I somehow manage to drive off in the wrong car every morning - same colour & model.

The same thing happens when driving home from work as well

Must learn to be more aware of my actions.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 21:41 (Ref:665284)   #7
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
:confused:
Old 18 Jul 2003, 22:59 (Ref:665332)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebottle
I heard a story once of a chap who, while driving from a concert at Milton Keyns Bowl noticed , when attempting to play a tape, that his stereo wasn't his....then he noticed in the mirror a spoiler that he didn't have....
He drove back to the concert venue and was greated by the cars owner and the local Plod all standing around his car which he'd left there! The cars involved were 70's Fords

That's why it's a bad idea to drive when you're tired!!
I hope they had a good laugh about it in the end!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 23:08 (Ref:667757)   #9
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When my wife and I were on our honeymoon in Tassie we hired a motorhome. There were only seven of these ones as they were all dual cab Mazda T3500 trucks with overheads and the same colour. We arrived in a caravan park in Queenstown and park the van and proceeded to do some washing. We were away from the van for a hour (approx) and when we returned all the other vans were there and the owner of the park had us all parked together so we had to look inside each van to tell who's was who's. He took a photo of all of us and its hanging in the office and after leaving we all followed each other for three days. The end result we all still to this day keep in contact with each other.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 13:29 (Ref:668304)   #10
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did hear (from someone who should know) about a company that decided to replace all company cars with a bulk buy of plain white, basic Astras. Revenge was inevitable, and came on an awayday.
A couple of people sneaked out into the carpark, armed wit screwdrivers, and spent an hour or so swapping number plates around.
Fun was had by all...
Old 22 Jul 2003, 16:18 (Ref:668530)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I once mistook a Talbot Horizon for a car...
Old 22 Jul 2003, 16:23 (Ref:668537)   #12
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
A few years ago, quite a lot of people in my workplace happened to have Fiestas. One day, one of the women opened another of the cars by mistake. That got people talking and a check round revealed that everyone who owned a Fiesta could open one other car besides their own on the car park.
I used to have a very old mini..... I didn't have to have the key to open that, I could use a penny!!!!!!!

Apparently the older versions were all the same......