Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 May 2013, 13:11 (Ref:3243548)   #1501
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
According to http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/..._13041701.html the rollout is planned for June. I agree that this is probably means post Le Mans.
Old 6 May 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3243549)   #1502
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Yes, I would place my bet on the shake-down being post Le Mans.

Do you think the car will be "a more elaborated RS Spyder" or something very different?
Old 6 May 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3243551)   #1503
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Again, I would place my bets on it being quite different.
Old 6 May 2013, 15:45 (Ref:3243585)   #1504
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think it will be unveiled at Le mans itself, the ACO will be keen on that and Porsche will be keen on keeping on the right side of the ACO
Old 6 May 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3243603)   #1505
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's possible. It's not the style of the "old" Porsche, but now-a-days, anything is possible.
Old 6 May 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3243626)   #1506
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I think it will be unveiled at Le mans itself, the ACO will be keen on that and Porsche will be keen on keeping on the right side of the ACO
Porsche already have the ACO on their side , as the manufacturer with most wins and Norbert Singer working for the ACO .

Wouldn't surprise me to see the car unveiled at Le Mans ..... but wouldn't surprise me if it isn't either .
Old 6 May 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3243642)   #1507
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They could launch something at LM but I think it would be in the same vein as an F1 launch where it's far from the finished article.

Would be good to see them have some kind of presence this year - maybe do a couple of driver announcements if nothing else.
Old 6 May 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3243688)   #1508
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Hopefully, it's a modern version of the 911 GT1-98. That was a phenomenal car and was great looking, IMO. With modern aeros, it would still be a great design.
Old 6 May 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3243692)   #1509
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's going to look like a slightly worse version of the current LMP1s.
Old 7 May 2013, 00:28 (Ref:3243744)   #1510
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I think there is little question that it won't look that different than the other LMP coupes that are out there now... some detail differences, but not much.
Old 7 May 2013, 01:41 (Ref:3243752)   #1511
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone think that it will enter a race this year?

Like Petit Le Mans?
Old 7 May 2013, 01:52 (Ref:3243753)   #1512
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Does anyone think that it will enter a race this year?

Like Petit Le Mans?
Given Porsche's entry in the first PLM, it would be a fairy tale ending for the event on the world stage, but I can't see it happening.
Old 7 May 2013, 02:08 (Ref:3243755)   #1513
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I think there is little question that it won't look that different than the other LMP coupes that are out there now... some detail differences, but not much.
The Lotus is the best comparison, rather than the Audi or Toyota. The T128 is the car the LMP1 2014 car will be based on next year.

I could live with that, it's probably the prettiest prototype going right now.
Old 7 May 2013, 04:31 (Ref:3243769)   #1514
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
The Lotus is the best comparison, rather than the Audi or Toyota. The T128 is the car the LMP1 2014 car will be based on next year.

I could live with that, it's probably the prettiest prototype going right now.
It looks like mix of Toyota and Audi to me. Maybe the black hides the fin better though.
Old 7 May 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3243792)   #1515
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Yes, I suspect the first words that will come to my mind will be UGLY FIN!!!!
Then I will make a concerted effort never to look at that ungodly piece of carbon fiber again.
Secondly, I will wonder why there are bits of the car missing over the 4 wheels. Then I will remember the rules; Another item that I will make a concerted effort to ignore.
Finally I will take in of what remains of the car. I hope I like it.
Old 7 May 2013, 06:15 (Ref:3243800)   #1516
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Secondly, I will wonder why there are bits of the car missing over the 4 wheels. Then I will remember the rules; Another item that I will make a concerted effort to ignore.
Next year, the air extractor holes can on the inside of the wheel arch.

So we might see solutions such as

Old 7 May 2013, 06:18 (Ref:3243803)   #1517
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I am afraid that all the new LMP's will look very much a like but they may do something to make it stand out from the rest
Old 7 May 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3243838)   #1518
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Next year, the air extractor holes can on the inside of the wheel arch.

So we might see solutions such as

That is a marked improvement Mr. G...but it still looks like there are bits missing from the car.
The first thing I noticed however was....No Fin!!!!
Old 7 May 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3243858)   #1519
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Right! No so much differences, because rules impose such design. Just details, but not so much other...
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 7 May 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3243961)   #1520
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 2014 cars will be narrower, and the cockpits higher and therefore slightly bigger in terms of the proportion of the car. Ergo...the fins will look slightly less prominent than they do now.

The fins don't look too bad on the Gulf Racing Lola or the Rebellions, it's the factory LMP1s that you need beer goggles to look at without weeping.
Old 7 May 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3243983)   #1521
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, I suspect the first words that will come to my mind will be UGLY FIN!!!!
Then I will make a concerted effort never to look at that ungodly piece of carbon fiber again.
Finally I will take in of what remains of the car. I hope I like it.

Exactly!

Just so long as she comes out fighting. I don't want them to win like they did back in 98. I want her to be fast and reliable.
Old 7 May 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3243998)   #1522
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Old 7 May 2013, 17:23 (Ref:3244041)   #1523
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good!!! At last I see a lot of people recognize that LMP1 are horrible.
If you are the ACO, You make the rules. Then Why do you make your main class are so ugly? you can make that your LMP1 look like hypercars. Like McLaren P1, LaFerrari, Porsche 918 RSR, Pagani Huayra etc.
I would like that:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...07659&page=157
Its interesting to note what makes a high performance road car look like a road car rather the current LMPs, since both are (supposedly) 2 seater, 4-wheel vehicles:-
The biggest difference of course is that a road car like the McLaren MP4 12c is a proper two seater, seating two people in a relatively upright comfortable position... not a one and a half seater with a fire extinguisher/battery/KERS system in the passenger seat and a "green house" that is too big for one and too small for two.
The other difference is that a road car, even a high performance one, needs to have at least a little luggage space (generally at the front of a mid or rear engine vehicle).
The final area for main differences is related to safety legislation; bumpers and lights must be at or above a certain height above the road, and sharp edges must not present themselves in case of collision with pedetrians.
The issues above would set the basis for my "Prototype Sportscar" chassis rules, the rules governing the bodywork itself would be relatively free, but of course it would have to wrap itself around the larger passenger area that would be mandated. Fire extinguisers/batteries/KERS systems would need to be either in the engine bay area or in the "luggage" area; not the driver/passenger area.
Old 7 May 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3244050)   #1524
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
If you are the ACO, You make the rules. Then Why do you make your main class are so ugly? you can make that your LMP1 look like hypercars. Like McLaren P1, LaFerrari, Porsche 918 RSR, Pagani Huayra etc.
I would like that:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...07659&page=157
Its interesting to note what makes a high performance road car look like a road car rather the current LMPs, since both are (supposedly) 2 seater, 4-wheel vehicles:-
The biggest difference of course is that a road car like the McLaren MP4 12c is a proper two seater, seating two people in a relatively upright comfortable position... not a one and a half seater with a fire extinguisher/battery/KERS system in the passenger seat and a "green house" that is too big for one and too small for two.
The other difference is that a road car, even a high performance one, needs to have at least a little luggage space (generally at the front of a mid or rear engine vehicle).
The final area for main differences is related to safety legislation; bumpers and lights must be at or above a certain height above the road, and sharp edges must not present themselves in case of collision with pedetrians.
The issues above would set the basis for my "Prototype Sportscar" chassis rules, the rules governing the bodywork itself would be relatively free, but of course it would have to wrap itself around the larger passenger area that would be mandated. Fire extinguisers/batteries/KERS systems would need to be either in the engine bay area or in the "luggage" area; not the driver/passenger area.
I know it's gonna be off-topic, but there is another way to call it a two-seater prototype. Why not arrange it in a tandem configuration other than side-by-side.
Old 7 May 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3244053)   #1525
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Do you understand the difference:

Road legal supercar: designed to go fast and look nice.

Not production based race car: designed to go fast.

You can't make a full prototype class look like road cars, unless you make it half-spec class at the same time. It's not the rules (excluding the fin, but you know why it is there) that make them ugly, it's modern knowhow of aero.