Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 9 Mar 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3807125)   #301
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.U. View Post
Disappointing. Where is Albatec Racing? Where are Tommy Rustad, Tomás Pál Kiss and Magda Andersson...?
Andersson couldn't get a budget unfortunately. Wasn't Albatec supposed to run a car in BRC?

But yes, it is an disappointing entry list. I thought for sure there would be more cars.

Rallycross must be the sport were most talents and drivers can't get a seat and has to opt for something else or quit.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3807332)   #302
MANU MATADOR
Rookie

Portugal
porto
MANU MATADOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.autosport.pt/maismotores...peu-ralicross/
Old 13 Mar 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3807767)   #303
MANU MATADOR
Rookie

Portugal
porto
MANU MATADOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mário Barbosa in Supercar on European Ralicross

https://www.autosport.pt/maismotores...peu-ralicross/
Old 14 Mar 2018, 00:41 (Ref:3807835)   #304
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
So where's Ken Block?
Ford pulled the plug on the WRX programme, but wonder if he will appear as a Wildcard at the COTA round, as I`m sure the promoters would like to see an American on the Entry list with "Monster" connections.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3807875)   #305
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Ford pulled the plug on the WRX programme, but wonder if he will appear as a Wildcard at the COTA round, as I`m sure the promoters would like to see an American on the Entry list with "Monster" connections.
I hope so, be a real shame for those cars to sit gathering dust.

Incidentally does anyone know if all three cars that M-Sport built went to Block, or did M-Sport or Ford Performance take one of them?
Old 14 Mar 2018, 08:53 (Ref:3807877)   #306
Marcopolo
Rookie

Marcopolo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I hope so, be a real shame for those cars to sit gathering dust.

Incidentally does anyone know if all three cars that M-Sport built went to Block, or did M-Sport or Ford Performance take one of them?
As far as I remember the two that were used for racing belonged to hoonigan racing division ie ken block and the test car belong to ford performance

Ken block said in a interview "sometimes a chassis doesnt work" think that they didn't have the budget to design completely new cars and had no faith they could develop that chassis any faster

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk
Old 14 Mar 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3807931)   #307
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcopolo View Post
As far as I remember the two that were used for racing belonged to hoonigan racing division ie ken block and the test car belong to ford performance

Ken block said in a interview "sometimes a chassis doesnt work" think that they didn't have the budget to design completely new cars and had no faith they could develop that chassis any faster
Ah, that would make sense. Someone (I think on here?) said that Block had put a lot of money into the program, so figures that he would get the race cars.

I guess it was a marketing led decision, but it's a shame that the Hoonigan effort didn't use the tested Fiesta. The M-Sport Fiesta was a well sorted car and the HRD might have been more competitive from the outset if they had started with that.

Not strictly World Rallycross news, but IMG have just launched the ARX: Americas Rallycross Championship. Opening round will be part of the World round at Silverstone.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3807985)   #308
Marcopolo
Rookie

Quote:
Ah, that would make sense. Someone (I think on here?) said that Block had put a lot of money into the program, so figures that he would get the race cars.

I guess it was a marketing led decision, but it's a shame that the Hoonigan effort didn't use the tested Fiesta. The M-Sport Fiesta was a well sorted car and the HRD might have been more competitive from the outset if they had started with that.

Not strictly World Rallycross news, but IMG have just launched the ARX: Americas Rallycross Championship. Opening round will be part of the World round at Silverstone.

Should be interesting with 3 of the 4 rounds being in conjunction with world Rallycross events, I've always wanted a GRC car to go head to head with a WRX car, but doubt that's gonna happen

GRC plan for the Platinum class might actually work in WRX favour, with the plan to go electric in 2020 I can see the need for a spec supercar category to support the manufacturer backed electric supercars, and then the RX2 cars for the younger development drivers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 Mar 2018, 21:55 (Ref:3808052)   #309
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Should be interesting with 3 of the 4 rounds being in conjunction with world Rallycross events, I've always wanted a GRC car to go head to head with a WRX car, but doubt that's gonna happen
Yeah, I assume that, like the European Championship, they will run the ARX heats separately. I guess they will use the World event format as well?

Quote:
GRC plan for the Platinum class might actually work in WRX favour, with the plan to go electric in 2020 I can see the need for a spec supercar category to support the manufacturer backed electric supercars, and then the RX2 cars for the younger development drivers
I am just struggling to see how the numbers stack up. The ARX is talking about Supercars and RX2, so I assume they are attempting to grab as many drivers from last years GRC line up (and based on the first press release, it looks like they may have as many as 4 Supercar drivers already).

Vying for the same drivers you also have the GRC. Are they hoping that last years Supercar drivers will go into "Gold", or that the RX Lite guys will find more budget (because I assume quicker Lites are going to cost more) for "Gold"? Assuming the latter is the case, who are the Polaris buggies aimed at? Is there sufficient interest/finance there to fill a whole field of buggies?...

...then on top of that, you've got Platinum coming at the end of the year. Is that for this years "Gold" guys? Or is the hope to maybe bring in Europeans?

I am possibly not seeing the whole picture but, as I see things now, I can't see there being enough drivers/budget to go around.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 05:13 (Ref:3808092)   #310
Marcopolo
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, I assume that, like the European Championship, they will run the ARX heats separately. I guess they will use the World event format as well?

I am just struggling to see how the numbers stack up. The ARX is talking about Supercars and RX2, so I assume they are attempting to grab as many drivers from last years GRC line up (and based on the first press release, it looks like they may have as many as 4 Supercar drivers already).

Vying for the same drivers you also have the GRC. Are they hoping that last years Supercar drivers will go into "Gold", or that the RX Lite guys will find more budget (because I assume quicker Lites are going to cost more) for "Gold"? Assuming the latter is the case, who are the Polaris buggies aimed at? Is there sufficient interest/finance there to fill a whole field of buggies?...

...then on top of that, you've got Platinum coming at the end of the year. Is that for this years "Gold" guys? Or is the hope to maybe bring in Europeans?

I am possibly not seeing the whole picture but, as I see things now, I can't see there being enough drivers/budget to go around.

The way I see it, the modified lites cars (gold class) are just a stop gap till they can launch the Platinum class cars that MJP Racing are building for them to race in 2019, wonder how many cars they will be able to develop and build in just over a year and a half though. Everything seems a bit rushed on GRC side

I see the numbers problem also, just hoping there will be a class between the electric RX and RX2, more racing the better.

Sure the racing will still be amazing but the sound is gonna be missing in e-RX, but it's the way that the manufacturer backed teams wanna go, IMG spoke of 9 teams interested, Audi, VW and Peugeot seem to have committed to RX in view of going electric so will be interesting to see who else decides to join in. Hopefully the Cape Town RX event will happen in 2020 and will be able to see what they are like live!

Old 15 Mar 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3808104)   #311
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
PhergAthor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
François Duval has tested with Cometoyou yesterday.
If the budget finalises, he will team up with Enzo Ide for WRX Mettet.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 09:03 (Ref:3808106)   #312
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
The way I see it, the modified lites cars (gold class) are just a stop gap till they can launch the Platinum class cars that MJP Racing are building for them to race in 2019, wonder how many cars they will be able to develop and build in just over a year and a half though. Everything seems a bit rushed on GRC side

I see the numbers problem also, just hoping there will be a class between the electric RX and RX2, more racing the better.
Well they have talked about retaining traditional Supercars for the World Championship if there is enough interest. I think I'd rather see those cars directed into a pumped up European Championship rather than a sparse grid of petrol Supercars accompanying the electric cars.

As you say, things seem very rushed on the GRC side. I wonder if the Supercar situation was out of their hands?
Old 15 Mar 2018, 14:54 (Ref:3808157)   #313
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
IMG have just launched the ARX: Americas Rallycross Championship. Opening round will be part of the World round at Silverstone.
Quote:
Exactly. This new ARX seems to be attracting manufacturers that left GRC.

Quote:
As you say, things seem very rushed on the GRC side. I wonder if the Supercar situation was out of their hands?
With this ARX announcement, yes. It's possible that GRC manufacturers decided to leave for IMG, and in response GRC invented this Gold class.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 22:14 (Ref:3808973)   #314
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

Last edited by FIRE; 18 Mar 2018 at 22:21.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 22:21 (Ref:3808974)   #315
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The way I see it, the modified lites cars (gold class) are just a stop gap till they can launch the Platinum class cars that MJP Racing are building for them to race in 2019
If that's the case it doesn't make much sense to upgrade current cars. Upgrading results in higher costs.

Or is GRC no longer allowed to run current Lites because the concept is protected and owned by OMSE or even IMG?
Old 18 Mar 2018, 23:51 (Ref:3808991)   #316
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...mpression=true

I've heard he's not the only driver who isn't happy.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 05:35 (Ref:3809033)   #317
Marcopolo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
If that's the case it doesn't make much sense to upgrade current cars. Upgrading results in higher costs.

Or is GRC no longer allowed to run current Lites because the concept is protected and owned by OMSE or even IMG?
As far as I know they are keeping the lites category

Old 19 Mar 2018, 05:40 (Ref:3809034)   #318
Marcopolo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distracted View Post
https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...mpression=true

I've heard he's not the only driver who isn't happy.
Hopefully they can make some changes, the Cape town RX track had to make some changes after Petter Solberg tested it earlier in the year.

Old 20 Mar 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3809376)   #319
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
VW Motorsport have unveiled the 2018 car:

Front bumper looks different, as does the rear wing, but otherwise there doesn't look to be any other cosmetic changes from last year. Seems like the front mounted cooling package has been retained as well.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3809380)   #320
Marcopolo
Rookie

Quote:
VW Motorsport have unveiled the 2018 car:

Front bumper looks different, as does the rear wing, but otherwise there doesn't look to be any other cosmetic changes from last year. Seems like the front mounted cooling package has been retained as well.
So both cars are gonna look the same again... Great!

Old 20 Mar 2018, 22:57 (Ref:3809509)   #321
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not the latest model Polo, so "just" an evolution from the car from last year.
Front bumper looks impressive!
Old 21 Mar 2018, 21:11 (Ref:3809722)   #322
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Couple of shots of the World guys from Silverstone:

Old 26 Mar 2018, 07:55 (Ref:3810822)   #323
Marcopolo
Rookie

Say hello to the new Audi S1 EKS RX quattro

Old 26 Mar 2018, 08:06 (Ref:3810826)   #324
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
I'm really not sure about that rear wing, looks a bit out of place! I assume they have positioned it like that to put it in clean air.

GCK have also (finally!) revealed the Prodrive built Megane RS RX this morning:

GCK Official Facebook - Megane Launch Video
Old 26 Mar 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3810878)   #325
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm really not sure about that rear wing, looks a bit out of place! I assume they have positioned it like that to put it in clean air.

GCK have also (finally!) revealed the Prodrive built Megane RS RX this morning:

GCK Official Facebook - Megane Launch Video
They aren't allowed to change the wing wither.

The GCK looks like a WRC car. Doubt that Chicherit and JGJ will be frontrunners though.

Live timing from todays test at Silverstone. Surprisingly, Eriksson is second and just +0.017 behind Solberg. http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/times