Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jan 2010, 15:07 (Ref:2607359)   #26
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Mate of mine from the village who raced FFords at Castle Combe fell off his horse and broke his back similar to my injury from Spa. Air Ambulance called as he was out in the woods and some way off the road. That's the reason i have asked for the money to go to them this year. You have a very valid point and i totally agree.
I read somewhere, I think related to an article about the charity operation that runs our local air ambulance, that horse related accidents account for more of its callouts than anything else. Now that seems a little strange given the number of times we see it airborne and certainly around here it does a lot of trips up the M1, but that might be old information from when it was mostly called out when nothing else was suitable. My concern now is that that 'nothing else' criteria is being eroded simply because recognition is enhancing the flow of funds.

I know you are a horse owner Iain but I have to mention that statistically horse riding, per unit of use, is one of the most dangerous passtimes there is in terms of fatalities and severe injuries. Of course our government would have us believe that cars, or even worse - motorbikes, take that 'honour'.

That statistics may not hold for the last year or two based on the potential for less horse activity in a recession but seem to have been fairly consistent in the past (though potentially difficult to assess accurately.)

Of course there is an argument that says the more they fly the better will be their experience and so the service will be improved. That may be true and you could consider any call out to be 'training'. Nevertheless I think we should be vigilant enough not to assume that 'things are OK' when experiences in other areas suggest that often they are not.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2607364)   #27
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
I spend many hours each day outside in the vineyards. I rarely get a cold. This Christmas my belle-mere (mother in law) arrived with a very heavy cold. Within 24 hours I was "streaming" but as soon as I went back outside for most of the day I cleared up! Moral - God's air good; air conditioning bad.
Good point. Not sure where this one came from. My earlier contacts with 'infected' people were some days previously and so probably not the source. It's the first really 'good' cold I can recall in some time.

Outside would be a good idea but I have no real reason to be out and it has been either cold or wet in recent days. This one seems to be intending to hang around though, so snow (potentially) and ice (probably) permitting I may force myself outside for an extended period tomorrow.

In my case aircon is definitely not part of the problem ...

Have you thought about marketing work in the vineyard as a winter health cure?
Old 2 Jan 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2607381)   #28
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
grant, what area does your local air ambulance work in?
Old 2 Jan 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2607389)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
grant, what area does your local air ambulance work in?
It has chopped and changed a bit over the years but currently Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland (or so it seems ...)

I just ran a quick search and stumbled upon that link as one of the more recent ones. It also happens to carry some comments about funding.

So, £1.5 million a year.

Given it is based at EMA it means the flights I typically see are pretty much only those heading to Derbyshire when is passes by my house.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 17:21 (Ref:2607396)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Air Ambulance web site.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 18:43 (Ref:2607410)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the sickest I've ever been was a brief period working in a design office in 1994 . . .closed circuit Aircon, the only time in my life I've had antibiotics.

the healthiest I've been is the last few years working in my own workshop and largely open to the elements (when the temperatures above freezing)

the only glitch has been Arthurs insistence on bringing lowlife snot home from playgroup

aircon is the tool of the devil, and over insulation/draught exclusion of modern homes is turning them into breeding grounds for unhealthy people, especially when coupled with an un-natural insistence on chemically trating everything in sight at the first sight of dsut/dirt etc.

Draughts rock, and I know, I'm a qualified draughtsman!
Old 2 Jan 2010, 18:55 (Ref:2607412)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Our local police force use a helicopter, mostly for sightseeing we think, it costs us £600k+ a year in local taxes just to keep it there, before they turn a blade. they're not muppets, just pigs in space . . .our local newspaper reported that when they first got the thing they where chasing a 'robber' or local 'cad' . . .having deployed the use of its heat seeking device they homed in on said villian and landed in a field . . .to find a warm freshly laid pat. . . . . . to confirm the wisdon of the investment the said helicopter was then stranded in the field for several hours thereafter as the cows investigated and started licking the thing and wouldn't go away until further officers arrived, with a farmer, who wasn't scared, and shooed them away . . . . . there are other tales of woe, but I can't recall.

I wonder if a boffin somewhere could calculate the cost per head of West Sussex tax payer and compare against, say, a ticket to see a stand up comedian
Old 2 Jan 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2607419)   #33
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

Draughts rock, and I know, I'm a qualified draughtsman!
Hah!

Board games.

Or should that be bored games?

Hmm. I sense topic drift ...

Do I hear a song ....?

"Chess nuts burning on an open fire ......"
Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:15 (Ref:2607556)   #34
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes we had better get back to Historic Motor Racing .Anyone got a New Years resolution.Mine as usual is Chocolate as i try to get weight down to 75 kilo's as most of the whipper snappers i race against seem to be about 6 stone.Just off for 10 k run now as well.Stressed ECG looming by by £300. 00.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:20 (Ref:2607559)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I'll be more than happy if I can stay under 85 kg

I'd be even happier if I can get the car under 750!
Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:25 (Ref:2607562)   #36
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
That happens all to often Joe. Years ago in one of my other lives i was a retained fireman. We were called to a very small fire at the local golf course. We extinguished the fire but the fire engine got stuck in the middle of a green. Then HQ sent a full time pump out from Reading. Guess what they then got stuck.They then sent the big recovery rig out and had to winch both the pumps off the green causing a lot of damage to the grass not to mention the cost off it all.Watched Dads Army last night always remember the happy days i had in the fire brigade. I always reckoned if i had a siren on the cars i raced in those days i would of won every race.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2607581)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I worked at Elstree Aerodrome years ago in the days when Graham Hill (the histo connection to my post) won Indy and arrived with a brand new Piper Astec. I was meant to be there to assist the mechanic who worked on the aerodromes owner's twin Cessna but in reality I was also a bit of a general dogsbody. Anyhow the London School of Flying used Chipmunks back then with the bicycle undercarraige and one student was using the grass strip and got the landing wrong and pitched the thing up on its nose leaving said student hanging in there unable to get out. The alarm bell went and nearly everyone in the place downed tools and rushed over to the 'Fire Tender' which in reality was a clapped out 1948 Landrover (2nd histo reference) already loaded down with equipment. Anyhow we all jumped on the thing wanting to be part of the action and it was so loaded down it wouldnt move so we spent the next few minutes arguing amoungst ourselves who was going to get off and in the meantime the poor hapless student was was hanging virtally upside down by his harness unable to move and screaming for help! Casey's Cops sprung to mind.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:24 (Ref:2607587)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Boxing Day Pommes Sarladais in Goose Fat

Continuing but slightly O/T the bubble/squeak theme.
Attached Thumbnails
pommessarladaise.jpg  
Old 3 Jan 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2607613)   #39
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Boxing Day Pommes Sarladais in Goose Fat

Continuing but slightly O/T the bubble/squeak theme.
My New Year's resolution is to always have a Historic Racing Today (1st histo reference) relevance to my postings on the Lighter Side. This would appear essential to avoid being banned from posting on 10 Tenths. As I was looking at a picture of my 1960 Elite (2nd histo reference) I permitted myself to consider that frying potatoes in goose fat is simply the best. Our local bistro in Chateauneuf sur Charente always cooks their chips in goose fat. They are to die for.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2607622)   #40
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Just ran the new self built engine up in the IROC-Z, had her running for half an hour, 50 psi oil pressure at 1000rpm and temp drops as soon as I turn on the twin fans, slightly smokey but that should clear up once the rings have familarised themselves with the self honed bores, sounds good and the clutch I have refurbed is perfect, feels really good and the ultimate test with these things, slips into reverse gear without a mumour. First time I have had two turn key cars ready for the start of the season just gotta decide which one to take out for the opening round at Cadwell and I think the lighter better handling IROC-Z is first choice at the moment... enny meeny miney mo.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2607635)   #41
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Nice one Al,. way you go mate.Arry Flatters now all the way.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2607649)   #42
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
By your own workings if you count 2000 as the first year then the end of 2009 is ten complete years. Have you not got a spare toe you can use as well?
Missing something somewhere, got it a finger!!! Harper and his Brandy

Last edited by p261brm; 3 Jan 2010 at 14:34.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2607687)   #43
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
[img=http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8730/silverstonegp2008.th.jpg]I know this is the wrong thread for the above. I'm just sorting out my Naughties Scrap book with various newspaper cuttings and came across this one that i had forgot about.I normally wrong with predictions.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2607738)   #44
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Our local bistro in Chateauneuf sur Charente always cooks their chips in goose fat. They are to die for.
To die for yes, but too many ,and possibly to die with . . . . which is a shame as its like castrol R in the culinary stakes
Old 4 Jan 2010, 07:58 (Ref:2607885)   #45
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racers dream meal,chips in Castrol R.

I wonder if 'Woody's' has given that any thought.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 09:58 (Ref:2607917)   #46
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yes i would put a splash of Castrol R in the lawn mower just to get wiff and relieve the boredom off cutting the lawn. Just let Mrs Delta cut the lawn now.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2608146)   #47
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ive just realised what the best thing is about spending all day in a frozen workshop. IT GETTING HOME AND IN THE WARM!!!!!
Old 4 Jan 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2608149)   #48
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I will 2nd that Iain, been doing the same all day myself, not earning any money of course but I guess if I didnt do it myself I would have to pay others to do it so in a round about way if not earning money at least saving it!
Old 5 Jan 2010, 10:21 (Ref:2608337)   #49
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
likewise, had the fan heaters on to thaw fingers, they keep sticking to things!
Old 5 Jan 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2608490)   #50
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having spent the day working outside in the sleet, coming home and starting again in the garage which it seems is colder than outside (theres ice formed on the car covers!) is hardly appealing but its got to be done............I'm going in
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Closed Thread