Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3302566)   #51
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a thought..............but has Ferrari signing a driver like Raikkonen breached a clause in Alonso's contract.......something like Number One status or team mate choice?
Old 12 Sep 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3302569)   #52
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso and another top driver at the same team? Last time that happened McLaren were disqualified from the WCC and found themselves $100,000,000 worse for wear.

What could possibly go wrong?

Roll on 2014 though!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 Sep 2013, 08:25 (Ref:3302580)   #53
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I think it's an 'Irvine' deal too. Take a big pay deal ( which he wasn't getting at Enstone!) and security for a while before retiring. Having agreed a 1 +1 year deal, neither team nor driver are thinking long term. I also don't really believe he thinks he will win another title realistically?

Kimi gives Ferrari a bit of flexibility if they have another **** season next year and Alonso says enough's enough leaving them frantically seeking the next messiah!
When the dust settles, it's the only thing that makes logical sense. Having slept on this overnight, I'm even more convinced Kimi's signed a contract that places him at a clear number 2.

o Alonso signed a contract in 2011 that runs until 2016. Does anyone here seriously believe that what he signed back then does not have a clause that places him as the team's number one driver with support from whomever is in the second seat ?

o Given the above, why would Alonso vary his contract to lower him to equal number one status with somebody else and put him at a disadvantage ?

o Earlier this week, Alonso stated that he wasn't bothered who was in the second seat. Is that because he was assured that Kimi had signed an agreement to specifically place him as a number 2 ?

o Kimi is 34 years old in a few weeks time. He is not far off retirement. He's demonstrated previously that he is more motivated by money than racing when Ferrari paid him off to leave.

o Logic suggests that Ferrari would be completely crazy to sign somebody like Kimi Raikkonen and then allow him free reign to race head to head with Alonso. It only make sense if one of them is 'under control'.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:26 (Ref:3302605)   #54
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimi is probably going to get paid on a "per point basis" which will do him and Ferrari no harm.Massa wasn't racking up enough points as Number Two driver where as Kimi will.

I suppose this pairing would give Ferrari a good shot at both titles.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3302607)   #55
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Alonso and another top driver at the same team? Last time that happened McLaren were disqualified from the WCC and found themselves $100,000,000 worse for wear.

What could possibly go wrong?

Roll on 2014 though!
Ah, but you must remember that McLaren had stolen data from Ferrari. Lewis and Fernando had nothing really to do with "Spygate". (With the exception of the emails between Fernando and Pedro)
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3302707)   #56
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
When the dust settles, it's the only thing that makes logical sense. Having slept on this overnight, I'm even more convinced Kimi's signed a contract that places him at a clear number 2.

o Alonso signed a contract in 2011 that runs until 2016. Does anyone here seriously believe that what he signed back then does not have a clause that places him as the team's number one driver with support from whomever is in the second seat ?

o Given the above, why would Alonso vary his contract to lower him to equal number one status with somebody else and put him at a disadvantage ?

o Earlier this week, Alonso stated that he wasn't bothered who was in the second seat. Is that because he was assured that Kimi had signed an agreement to specifically place him as a number 2 ?

o Kimi is 34 years old in a few weeks time. He is not far off retirement. He's demonstrated previously that he is more motivated by money than racing when Ferrari paid him off to leave.

o Logic suggests that Ferrari would be completely crazy to sign somebody like Kimi Raikkonen and then allow him free reign to race head to head with Alonso. It only make sense if one of them is 'under control'.
Yes, you're right. Now add to this recipe Montezemolo and his larger than life ego.

If he wants to make Alonso in trouble, send a message 'who's the boss', 'Ferrari is bigger than you', then, this is the way... Kimi is trouble coming ahead.

Italian logic, if you must.

If Kimi agreed to play #2, then we'll see a completely different driver we've see all these years... I can't wait for 2014.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:25 (Ref:3302722)   #57
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Yes, you're right. Now add to this recipe Montezemolo and his larger than life ego.

If he wants to make Alonso in trouble, send a message 'who's the boss', 'Ferrari is bigger than you', then, this is the way... Kimi is trouble coming ahead.

Italian logic, if you must.
Yes, that makes sense too. In other words, even though you are number 1 in the team and whomever is in the second seat will tow the line for you... we're going to put somebody in that second seat who has a reputation for not following orders... and maybe, just maybe, when you think you can rely on a 'Fernando is faster than you' call to move him out of the way... he won't do it !
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3302736)   #58
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see that coming indeed... Swap Vettel and Alonso and you have 2015 on...
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:50 (Ref:3302738)   #59
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really don't think Kimi would have signed such a contract.

Let's hope Alonso mans up and accepts a challenge. I'm sure we'd all love to know how he'd get on.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3302745)   #60
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

Let's hope Alonso mans up and accepts a challenge. I'm sure we'd all love to know how he'd get on.
He likes a challenge, just against his main rivals in a different car! There's been plenty of those over time though to be fair.

I can't see Kimi beating Alonso, who is probably at the peak of his powers. And, if he feels he is being out manouvred by the management, he will just drive even harder. The aspect he may have trouble with is qualy, an area he has been wanting in for a few years, but if the car is really good, he will remain the top driver there, without question.

What i'm interested in is what happens if Ferrari are rubbish again next year, or worse... What will either of these drivers, neither of whom suffer fools gladly, think then?
Old 12 Sep 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3302787)   #61
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thought of that too... that will be interesting !
Old 12 Sep 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3302928)   #62
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Forbes lists Alonso's retainer at US$28 mill a year. basically they made him the highest paid driver in F1 so i would wonder what other clauses he would need to assure him that he is their number 1 driver. certainly that amount places so much of your resources behind one driver before spending anything on the car gives should give Alonso some assurance about his number 1 status.

but i guess this speaks to how little we know of the modern F1 contract. if memory serves when Schumi signed with Merc, Nico made some mention of a clause that they would not hire another driver an pay them more (hence it was suggested that they both made the same) so that was how he was able to maintain basic belief of equal treatment. oddly though if that was true one would expect to see Nico's name on the Forbes list right next to Hamilton's minus some leeway for endorsement earnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
i certainly dont see Kimi signing anything that makes him contractually obligated to act the number 2. i dont even see him signing a contract where he is financially treated as the number 2. maybe its been mentioned but we really dont know for how much or for long he has signed but my gut is that he also signed for a stupid amount of money.

i believe it was teretonga (maybe in another thread) made the point (or was hinting at it) that this is a ridiculously expensive driver pairing and maybe its the most expensive driver pairing in F1 history.

its unbelievably odd that Ferrari would change their established philosophy of 1 and 2 and seemingly go in the complete opposite direction just like that...as Teretonga said something else must be going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
What i'm interested in is what happens if Ferrari are rubbish again next year, or worse... What will either of these drivers, neither of whom suffer fools gladly, think then?
for now im optimistic because im thinking that Ferrari have built something truly exceptional for next year and are willing to spend the money on two drivers who are capable of delivering.

i think they are going to run the table next year. short of mechanical failures (and/or fireworks) i think Ferrari will finish every race next year 1 and 2.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3302964)   #63
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anyone heard a base salary? He got 51mm/yr his first time at Ferrari.

This still is the best pass I have ever seen. Kimi overtakes Michael at Eau Rouge 2012 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yScLDcxTtrk
Old 12 Sep 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3302976)   #64
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Forbes lists Alonso's retainer at US$28 mill a year. basically they made him the highest paid driver in F1 so i would wonder what other clauses he would need to assure him that he is their number 1 driver. certainly that amount places so much of your resources behind one driver before spending anything on the car gives should give Alonso some assurance about his number 1 status.

but i guess this speaks to how little we know of the modern F1 contract. if memory serves when Schumi signed with Merc, Nico made some mention of a clause that they would not hire another driver an pay them more (hence it was suggested that they both made the same) so that was how he was able to maintain basic belief of equal treatment. oddly though if that was true one would expect to see Nico's name on the Forbes list right next to Hamilton's minus some leeway for endorsement earnings.

i certainly dont see Kimi signing anything that makes him contractually obligated to act the number 2. i dont even see him signing a contract where he is financially treated as the number 2. maybe its been mentioned but we really dont know for how much or for long he has signed but my gut is that he also signed for a stupid amount of money.

i believe it was teretonga (maybe in another thread) made the point (or was hinting at it) that this is a ridiculously expensive driver pairing and maybe its the most expensive driver pairing in F1 history.

its unbelievably odd that Ferrari would change their established philosophy of 1 and 2 and seemingly go in the complete opposite direction just like that...as Teretonga said something else must be going on.

for now im optimistic because im thinking that Ferrari have built something truly exceptional for next year and are willing to spend the money on two drivers who are capable of delivering.

i think they are going to run the table next year. short of mechanical failures (and/or fireworks) i think Ferrari will finish every race next year 1 and 2.
It would be nice to think that from a contractual perspective, both of them are equal, but I find it very hard to believe that Alonso's contract does not place him as the clear number one. All the evidence points in that direction :

o His protracted negotiation
o The fact that when he was hired, it was Kimi [number one at the time ?] that had to be removed rather than Massa [even though Massa was injured].
o The formal support role Massa has had to play throughout his time with Alonso.
o If you remember, at the time, it was Kimi they had to remove in order to

Kimi may act dumb in the media and recalcitrant at the track, but don't let that fool you. He and his management are shrewd operators when it comes to money.

If you look at it from a driving perspective, then Kimi is better off staying at Lotus, where he is revered, is number one and could have a chance at a championship if they produce a decent car next year. However, that team is in financial difficulty and rumour has it that Kimi's owed money by them. Does Kimi believe they will have the resources to progress let alone maintain their current level ? Worse still, maybe they're in deeper financial difficulty than we're aware of ?

If you look at it from a financial perspective, then Kimi is better off taking a number two role at Ferrari. Though his driving and opportunities for ultimate success will be compromised, he is likely to milk a fortune from the deal... And if he behaves himself, the lucrative gravy could be extended to the end of his career.

As Chunterer said earlier, Kimi is looking more and more like the Irvine of the 2010s.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3302983)   #65
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

That remains to be seen.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3302987)   #66
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kimi like Irvine Very funny.

Irvine was as quick as Kimi is talkative. Kimi is as quick as Irvine is full of, er, talk.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3302997)   #67
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
There are very few ways you can keep a two time world champion in check. Particularly if they're still performing well on track. I think the conclusion di Montezemolo came to, was that putting a World Champion (and a naturally fast one that will steal any win he's given a sniff of) in the other car was one of the only options left open to him.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3303001)   #68
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think they just had the opportunity to have two good drivers. They have the cash so why not? No harm in changing their recent approach.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 21:55 (Ref:3303007)   #69
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think they just had the opportunity to have two good drivers. They have the cash so why not? No harm in changing their recent approach.
I think it might be that simple at Mclaren or Red Bull. But everything I've ever read about Ferrari suggests that it's seldom if ever that anything is that simple.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3303018)   #70
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They have the cash so why not?
they spend more on their drivers then most teams have in budgets. must be a nice problem to have!

Davyboy, good point about Kimi's management team. that really just adds to my belief that one way or another they managed to secure an amazing deal for Kimi either in terms of straight salary or some sort of commercial partnership for one of his other endeavours.

on another note im curious how the tifosi will feel if they are forced to see Kimi take a back seat to Alonso. Kimi has won for them before so im not sure their loyalty doesn't default back to Kimi in this case. wait to see i guess.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3303035)   #71
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
they spend more on their drivers then most teams have in budgets. must be a nice problem to have!

Davyboy, good point about Kimi's management team. that really just adds to my belief that one way or another they managed to secure an amazing deal for Kimi either in terms of straight salary or some sort of commercial partnership for one of his other endeavours.

on another note im curious how the tifosi will feel if they are forced to see Kimi take a back seat to Alonso. Kimi has won for them before so im not sure their loyalty doesn't default back to Kimi in this case. wait to see i guess.
I think Kimi will have equal status with Alonso.

I think this is Montezemolo's payback for Alonso's disloyalty and whining!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3303036)   #72
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Has anyone heard a base salary? He got 51mm/yr his first time at Ferrari.

This still is the best pass I have ever seen. Kimi overtakes Michael at Eau Rouge 2012 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yScLDcxTtrk
11 Million a year ...
Old 12 Sep 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3303037)   #73
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
11 Million a year ...
Nice gig!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3303044)   #74
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Indeed it is... We all know Kimi just wants to have fun, and the thing is most of the time he can deliver like few other drivers, I am sure that James Allison must have been asked his opinion, and said something like, if you want raw talent hire this guy ...

We need more drivers like the "Kimster"
Old 13 Sep 2013, 00:51 (Ref:3303101)   #75
wnut
Veteran

This article in PitPass was interesting comparing Alonso with Prost

http://www.pitpass.com/49679/Back-To-The-Wilderness

"Luca di Montezemolo has said recently, 'Drivers, we've had a lot, some very good, some great, but drivers come and go, while Ferrari remains.' In 1991, Alain Prost said something to the effect that his Ferrari 643 was like driving a truck. He was dropped for the final race and then sacked."

Bait and switch with Massa?