Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3302654)   #26
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa_Rob View Post
The Hulk in the Ferrari would have been a great move but Lotus may prove good for his Career and Lotus.
I suppose the one thing is that we don't know what next year's car will be like with all the reg changes. If Lotus are cash poor they may struggle to get up to speed.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3302655)   #27
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
They need a good consistent fast driver to parner Grosjean, who is fast but is inconsistent and still a liability.

Surely Hulkenberg deserves the chance to move up to a faster car.

Di Resta is another name worth considering, but he seems to be too inconsistent.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3302668)   #28
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
They need a good consistent fast driver to parner Grosjean, who is fast but is inconsistent and still a liability.

Surely Hulkenberg deserves the chance to move up to a faster car.

Di Resta is another name worth considering, but he seems to be too inconsistent.
Agreed. Hulk should be given the chance. He has impressed me since the BMW days and has proven his worth in the lower grid.

As for di Resta, he is definitely NOT consistent enough. I am surprised he is still at Force India to be honest...
Old 12 Sep 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3302693)   #29
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It all hinges on whether they can afford to pay a driver or need someone who brings cash. If the former, Massa or Hülkenberg seem the obvious candidates. If the latter, Maldonado would be a reasonable choice.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3302694)   #30
ace007
Racer

Well summarised!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:19 (Ref:3302717)   #31
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
It all hinges on whether they can afford to pay a driver or need someone who brings cash. If the former, Massa or Hülkenberg seem the obvious candidates. If the latter, Maldonado would be a reasonable choice.
And there's always Bernie behind the scenes...
Old 12 Sep 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3302747)   #32
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I bet Eddie Jordan knows.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3302764)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hulkenberg may well have been closer to that Ferrari drive than recently thought, even up until Monday or Tuesday evening.... before being told 'it ain't happening'

Whether this means the option Ferrari allegedly had on him has been shelved, or whether he's been told he needs more time to prove himself. I don't know.

I suspect he may well only be looking at a one year deal (with options) with whoever he signs for, as he did with Sauber. Enstone would be suitable for that, but will he risk not being paid as also was the case with Sauber?

Last edited by chunterer; 12 Sep 2013 at 14:43.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 14:42 (Ref:3302769)   #34
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I suspect he may well only be looking at a one year deal (with options) with whoever he signs for, as he did with Sauber. Enstone would be suitable for that, but will he risk not being paid as also was the case with Sauber?
i think this is going to be a risk for anyone not in the manufacturer/big wallet teams, and williams. the caterham and marussia drivers of the world only know they're getting paid if they pay their own cheques on time

i presume having a quick car makes up for his wages turning up a few weeks late!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 14:44 (Ref:3302773)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think this is going to be a risk for anyone not in the manufacturer/big wallet teams, and williams. the caterham and marussia drivers of the world only know they're getting paid if they pay their own cheques on time

i presume having a quick car makes up for his wages turning up a few weeks late!
Yes, any half decent driver desperate to make their presence felt might stomach the loss of a few quid if they know they're competitive
Old 12 Sep 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3302826)   #36
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, any half decent driver desperate to make their presence felt might stomach the loss of a few quid if they know they're competitive
That's very true. Look at JB and Barrichello having a huge wages cut pre-2009, only to finish 1-3 in the standings at Brawn!
Old 16 Sep 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3304637)   #37
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Hulkenberg may well have been closer to that Ferrari drive than recently thought, even up until Monday or Tuesday evening.... before being told 'it ain't happening'

Whether this means the option Ferrari allegedly had on him has been shelved, or whether he's been told he needs more time to prove himself. I don't know.

Poor Hulk... Maldo's $$ might see him loose the Lotus seat now too. Rumours growing... Leaving Massa at Williams with Brazil's (and Bernie's) sponsors of course...
Old 16 Sep 2013, 13:05 (Ref:3304674)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Massa is talking to Lotus (and Mclaren? ) and Maldonado is making noises about staying at Williams. Grosjean isn't safe at Lotus is he? So there is potential for an all new line up next season if they want to go that way.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3304689)   #39
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
NPP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely no one will seriously consider partnering Grosjean and Maldonado? The repair bills would eat up all the Venezuelan money (and can we be sure that this will continue to flow?).
Old 16 Sep 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3304693)   #40
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get this about F1...why, besides Brazilian money, would anyone want Felipe? He's not super fast anymore, never really was, besides that one season in 08 and there's a fair few talented drivers coming through. If it came to a choice of Nico or Felipe, surely Nico is by far the stronger bet...?!

With F1, having the same drivers going around from one team to another (fine on the way up, but on the way down?), it just closes off a seat that could go to someone with more raw ability.

Felipe has had his time, he's had a superb career for someone who's clearly a nice man, but not in the 'superstar' bracket. He could go and be the star attraction in another series, rather than plod around in the midfield at Lotus/Williams.

I'm glad Di Resta's not being linked to any of these seats now - if he wasn't British, no-one would rave about him either.

Nico has the 'x' factor. He's had some genuinely impressive performances in midfield machinery - Interlagos qualifying '10, Interlagos race in '12 and Monza '13. He's clearly got something special...so I hope Lotus bag him...
Old 16 Sep 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3304697)   #41
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Massa is talking to Lotus (and Mclaren? ) and Maldonado is making noises about staying at Williams. Grosjean isn't safe at Lotus is he? So there is potential for an all new line up next season if they want to go that way.
I would understand Felipe at McLaren rather than Perez from a driving standpoint. Marketing for the USA is another issue of course ...
Old 16 Sep 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3304715)   #42
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I would understand Felipe at McLaren rather than Perez from a driving standpoint.
I'm not so sure, Massa is on the downslope of his career, Perez in theory is still improving. I really don't think there's a lot between them. As said elsewhere Massa should probably call it a day in F1 - he's not going to win anything as he slides down the grid and he'll just be taking up a seat that someone with potential could use.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 16:05 (Ref:3304723)   #43
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, it was said he would quit, but last sunday on TV, he said he's sure he'll be in F1 next year.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3304733)   #44
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Yeah, it was said he would quit, but last sunday on TV, he said he's sure he'll be in F1 next year.
I reckon that was him playing down the rumours, because NOBODY would have an eternally-off-form Felipe as far as I can see, unless F1 really has become a sport for pay drivers only.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3304763)   #45
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I reckon that was him playing down the rumours, because NOBODY would have an eternally-off-form Felipe as far as I can see, unless F1 really has become a sport for pay drivers only.
Yes but he is a known quantity non the less, and has driven for Ferrari for eight years now.. The "he is a great guy" only goes so far....
Old 16 Sep 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3304805)   #46
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
As much as I believe that Felipe should retire, considering everything and the current scenario of drivers in F1, your statement doesn't mirror the truth. But as you said, it's as far as you can see.

Three months ago, he was very clear about a possible retirement, but now what he said on sunday shows that he has contacts with two top teams, which showed great interest in his services. Why ? I let one wonder what value he has in the grid for a team, but as people say, what do we "experts" know ?
Old 16 Sep 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3304807)   #47
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which Felipe is on the way to Lotus? Felipe Massa? Or Felipe Nasr?
Old 16 Sep 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3304808)   #48
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Which Felipe is on the way to Lotus? Felipe Massa? Or Felipe Nasr?
Massa, at least they're talking with Lotus and McLaren.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/progra...com-lotus.html
Old 16 Sep 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3304814)   #49
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

50/50 between Massa and Hulk:

http://translate.google.com/translat...075344%2C0.htm

P.S.: Thanks Livio !
Old 17 Sep 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3305163)   #50
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
50/50 between Massa and Hulk:

http://translate.google.com/translat...075344%2C0.htm

P.S.: Thanks Livio !
I'd be inclined to sign both of them and park Romain at no 3 for a season as he probably wouldn't get (or want) a drive anywhere else?

I don't get this Massa isn't quick anymore rubbish. He's already proved that towards the end of last season and quite regularly this season until Fernando put the kybosh on it!!!

He's got a fair bit to prove to people (apparently) and if he gets a sniff of a half decent car I think he's still got serious race winning potential.