Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Sep 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3309193)   #51
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
That logic doesn't stack up.
Well you need to take that up with the stewards.

The rules are perfectly clear. If a driver gets three reprimands in a season he gets a penalty. If two of those reprimands were for a driving infringement then he gets a driving penalty. His first two reprimands were for driving penalties (from memory a collision and overtaking/not slowing under yellow) so he gets a driving penalty. The fact his third reprimand wasn't for a driving infringement is entirely irrelevant.

It may appear harsh in certain circumstances, but it seems perfectly logical to me.

I also think the idea that Alonso consciously decided to pick Webber up thinking it would incur Webber a penalty is fanciful nonsense.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 13:47 (Ref:3309220)   #52
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it doesn't help that penalties, particularly these cumulative ones, are trying to quantify something that is entirely unquantifyable. you can't really put down in numbers or on a pie chart how dangerous something is, or the risk or loss of opportunity the assailant suffered.

the result is a system that does indeed penalise repeat offenders, but that it doesn't take into account more than one degree of seriousness.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3309244)   #53
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's far from perfect, but it's similar to the systems in several other sports.

Totting up bans for yellow cards in football, for example. Doesn't matter if your last yellow was for something trivial like removing your shirt when celebrating a goal - if it's your fifth you'll still get a game ban.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3309312)   #54
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it doesn't help that penalties, particularly these cumulative ones, are trying to quantify something that is entirely unquantifyable. you can't really put down in numbers or on a pie chart how dangerous something is, or the risk or loss of opportunity the assailant suffered.

the result is a system that does indeed penalise repeat offenders, but that it doesn't take into account more than one degree of seriousness.
"quantify something that is entirely unquantifiable" - I like that.
That is because, to the cries of consistency, they have to come up with some rules for the penalties. Of course no two situations are ever quite the same, despite the examples often given. All those pictures of lifts from bygone years for example. It needs some people to make a judgement, but we didn't like that and cried for consistency and no bias. To remove the perception of bias we had to have a solution like this.

No one wants to apply any understanding to either method. We all pick fault, because we are clever. There is no perfect solution.

It was cool to see Webber getting a lift back from Alonso. However they chose to do something stupid, so risked a consequence. The trick is to not do something stupid.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 00:34 (Ref:3309420)   #55
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Well you need to take that up with the stewards.

I also think the idea that Alonso consciously decided to pick Webber up thinking it would incur Webber a penalty is fanciful nonsense.
The stewarding imo is horribly inconsistent.

However in this case considering the dangerous way in which the pick up was made, I think they both deserved a penalty.

Agreed Alonso was not trying to get a penalty, he was just trying to exploit the discomfort between his man in RBR and Vettel.

At this point, I would suggest that Webber is more valuable to Alonso than Webber, but this is just my perception.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 00:41 (Ref:3309421)   #56
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think he just gave his friend a ride ..
Old 26 Sep 2013, 00:56 (Ref:3309425)   #57
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Probably the most sensible interpretation.

Stupid place to stop!
Old 26 Sep 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3309426)   #58
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Probably the most sensible interpretation.

Stupid place to stop!
It was silly and he knows better .... But it's a long and very hot race, he like the rest of us is not perfect ..
Old 26 Sep 2013, 08:19 (Ref:3309499)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Exactly. Any dark theories are verging on the ridiculous. Still, it gives us something else to debate, I suppose....
Old 26 Sep 2013, 08:25 (Ref:3309500)   #60
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
that sounds wrong
Old 26 Sep 2013, 08:58 (Ref:3309510)   #61
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Stupid place to stop!
Have you ever hailed a taxi in downtown Marbella? I reckon that's where he gets it from.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3309516)   #62
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Have you ever hailed a taxi in downtown Marbella? I reckon that's where he gets it from.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3309531)   #63
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
This post will probably get me banned by Ten Tenths and get me 'struck off' by the MSA! I'm probably not ready for the 21st century but let the penalty fit the crime - this is supposed to be a 'sport'?
All that was required was for the stewards to send for the Webber and Alonso and say "Nice gesture guys - very sporting, good for the 'show' and all that - probably a bit dangerous - don't do it again"
Watched 'Grand Prix - The Killer Years" on BBC4 last night - that's when it was serious.
This whole business is all political correctness gone mad and illustrates what's wrong with F1, sport and, indeed life today.
I'll never be a FIA Steward - 'good', I hear you say?
Old 26 Sep 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3309582)   #64
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Steward? Nah. John for FIA President!
Old 26 Sep 2013, 16:39 (Ref:3309670)   #65
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
All that was required was for the stewards to send for the Webber and Alonso and say "Nice gesture guys - very sporting, good for the 'show' and all that - probably a bit dangerous - don't do it again"
Well, that is exactly what they did by handing out reprimands. Trouble for Webber was it was the third time he received one of those. The example above with the yellow cards in soccer is very fitting. Noone complains about the rules there, either.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3309677)   #66
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry Kempi. My sloppy and inexact use of English. I really meant an 'informal reprimand' as such - but I don't think that exists in the world of Formula 1.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3309773)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
What a radical idea.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:30 (Ref:3309776)   #68
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
...political correctness gone mad ...
Is that three fingers, or just down the drink?
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3309782)   #69
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Just down the drink and refill the glass.

Or stop reading.