Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Jun 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2900962)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
2012 Le Mans Dates (16/17 June) - Who's Going + what/where/when

I was trying to work out the likely dates for next year. It is trickier than usual as the 1st Jan 2012 is on a Sunday so is that the first weekend of the year or is it the following week? The 24th weekend will either be 9th & 10th June or 16th & 17th June. Looking back at the last time the 1st was on a Sunday in 2006 the race was 17th & 18th June - so my guess is 16th/17th. However the travel destinations website say it will be 9th & 10th. Do they know something I dont - have the dates been announced yet?
Old 17 Jun 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2900979)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was discussing this with Bentley03 during ther race week. We think it is due to be put back - so we're guessing 17/18. It's vital - of course - I need to put in my leave application!!
Old 17 Jun 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2900984)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
both - the 18th June next year is a Monday. Think you mean 16 & 17.
Guess you missed that 2012 is a leap year.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2900997)   #4
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doing the same, I've guessed the weekend - the 16th and 17th. Guess I'll have to miss the inaugural USGP down in Austin. Oh well.

3 days home and I'm already planning for next year.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2901002)   #5
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanshard View Post
3 days home and I'm already planning for next year.
Another one comes to the Dark Side... tee hee

Incidentally, I found that people in the UK and France were really interested in going to Austin for the F1. I'm standing at poste 61 during the race this year, being asked how to get to marshal there, and I'm thinking, "You'd give THIS up for a Tilke track, being a gazillion degrees hotter, wearing an ugly tabard and being told when to blue flag screamy little things you can't even find the numbers on* for just under two hours? For the same cost? Are you nuts? Give me the money and I'll be back at Le Mans!"

*Said screamy little things are not Bernie E... although the description is apt, n'est-ce pas?

keke
Old 17 Jun 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2901016)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The agents seem to be predicting the 9th/10th but my calculations also come up with 16th/17th
Old 17 Jun 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2901058)   #7
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Since 2008 there have been four weeks between the 24 Hours and the Classic.
Next year the Classic is on 7/8 July.
On the other hand, in 2006 there were three weeks between the two races
Old 18 Jun 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2901296)   #8
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just to throw another theory into the mix, I've heard it suggested that we could even be looking at the weekend of 23/24 June. The thinking behind this is that with World Championship status and the FIA more heavily involved, there could be a more concerted effort between all parties to avoid a clash with the Canadian Grand Prix.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 09:14 (Ref:2901302)   #9
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Just to throw another theory into the mix, I've heard it suggested that we could even be looking at the weekend of 23/24 June. The thinking behind this is that with World Championship status and the FIA more heavily involved, there could be a more concerted effort between all parties to avoid a clash with the Canadian Grand Prix.
23/24 would mean two things: an even shorter night, and scorching hot conditions.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2901356)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure I want a shorter night, but I've already booked the scorching hot weather.......
Old 18 Jun 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2901372)   #11
mackteck
Rookie

Ireland
co.meath
mackteck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
23/24 would mean two things: an even shorter night, and scorching hot conditions.
It also means it's STILL over a year away!
Old 18 Jun 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2901520)   #12
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le Mans needs night racing.... hope they don't move it to the end of June...

Race weekend was 11-12. Next year same time would be 9-10. Is it that different? But if the Canadian GP is the same weekend.... and moving it 2 weekends later..
Wonder happy the teams and drivers would be with a hotter period for the race, with less night.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2901525)   #13
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post

Race weekend was 11-12. Next year same time would be 9-10. Is it that different? But if the Canadian GP is the same weekend.... and moving it 2 weekends later..
Wonder happy the teams and drivers would be with a hotter period for the race, with less night.
It can only be moved two weeks on in order to avoid a clash, 9-10 would clash with the Canadian GP and 16-17 with the USGP.

I hope they move it to 23-24 though, it would give me at least a glimmer of hope that I might attend it.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2901526)   #14
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
dank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
But it doesn't, really, does it?

Okay, qualifying might go amiss for those concentrating on Le Mans, but there's about four hours between the chequered flag dropping at La Sarthe and the lights going out at Montreal.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2901587)   #15
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
But it doesn't, really, does it?

Okay, qualifying might go amiss for those concentrating on Le Mans, but there's about four hours between the chequered flag dropping at La Sarthe and the lights going out at Montreal.
It's not as simple as when one race starts and another finishes. Largely it is to do with media coverage. Despite this year's event being a stunner it still suffered from having to share column inches with the Grand Prix. In a fight like there there will only be one winner. Without a GP that weekend it (RIGHTLY) becomes the centre of the motorsport universe.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2901598)   #16
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
I can't imagine that one or two weeks before or after the summer solstice will make more than a few minutes difference either way. The tradition has been to run Le Mans in June to take advantage of the summer solstice (longest day of the year), so moving it either way will not significantly change this fact by more than a few minutes of darkness.

DK
Old 18 Jun 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2901633)   #17
dsegs
Rookie

European Union
Delft, NL
dsegs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Second weekend of June, please. That works out perfectly with regards to my exams and all. Any later and I can't go
Old 18 Jun 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2901642)   #18
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsegs View Post
Second weekend of June, please. That works out perfectly with regards to my exams and all. Any later and I can't go
I'm the opposite, the later the better for me because of my exam dates
Old 19 Jun 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2901781)   #19
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
9th-10th June 2012
http://www.lemansrace.com/news/le-ma...tion-open/116/

See post 1917 in the 2011 race thread
Old 19 Jun 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2901830)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That obviously sounds pretty official, but I'd like to hear it definitively from the ACO before I make my leave application!
Old 19 Jun 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2902071)   #21
Number7
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Number7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know when we can expect the official dates from ACO?
Old 20 Jun 2011, 03:25 (Ref:2902185)   #22
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Or is it official only after WMSC approves the calendar?
Old 20 Jun 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2902210)   #23
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
9th/10th would be perfect for us in the UK as we have a bank holiday on the 4th/5th, so it means taking less holidays if you are going for the week. Personally it's no work no pay for me, so if LM is that w/e we'd go for the whole week for a change, rather than just going on the wednesday.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 07:20 (Ref:2904598)   #24
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That obviously sounds pretty official, but I'd like to hear it definitively from the ACO before I make my leave application!
The only dates I've heard mentioned by 'local sources' still suggest the weekend of 23/24 June, thus avoiding a clash with both the Canadian GP and the elections which take place in the first half of June next year.

This is by no means official, but currently, and if I were a betting man...........

Old 23 Jun 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2904679)   #25
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
All very well James, but the race has been on the same date as the second round of the élections législatives each time those elections have been held in mid-June since their inception in their current form in 1988. Only twice have they not coincided, and those occasions were when the second round of the elections was held in March and on 1st June respectively.
I'm not going to count how many times the 24 Hours has coincided with the Canadian GP