Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Aug 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1984454)   #26
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I want him to come back if he wants to and is at the same level as before (well, 98% would be OK).
Old 8 Aug 2007, 22:02 (Ref:1984459)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It feels an eternity since da Matta had that accident, since he was last in a car.

It's only been a year.

Would be great to see him back, competitive of course!
Old 8 Aug 2007, 22:06 (Ref:1984464)   #28
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just read that on ESPN a minute a go. I really hope he comes back to Champ Car, we sure all miss him! It'll be story of the decade.

Perhaps he can get the seat at Newman/Haas over Speed.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 00:37 (Ref:1985872)   #29
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Neil Bonnett.

NASCAR driver. Had a horrible accident. Nearly died. Doctors said he would be lucky to do "normal" stuff. Makes a miraculous recovery, can't wait to get back in the car, he said.

I was hoping he wouldn't get back in. He did. Not long after he died at Daytona. To be honest, I stopped following NASCAR regularly at that point...

Now, I am not saying that the injuries from the first accident contributed in any way to his death, but sometimes you need to walk away while you still can...

Shorty has nothing to prove by returning. I hope he stays involved in racing, but not as a driver.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 01:55 (Ref:1985882)   #30
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
He may have nothing to prove, but perhaps he wants to return because he enjoys it.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1985976)   #31
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see no reason why Da Matta can't race again. He had the same trainer who recovered Christian Fittipaldi threw a similar ordeal and he some how returned to racing,
Old 11 Aug 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1985991)   #32
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
And certainly, Dutton, if he is able to and chooses to then he is free to do so.

My point was that with severe head injuries the danger of a fatal injury or permanent disability increases dramatically when/if there is a second injury. It is not a question of who your doctor is or who is handling your rehab. Severe brain injuries carry with them long-term concerns. Even if you return to "normal" the level of force required to re-injure the brain is significantly reduced.

Thus, my preference would be for CDM to cut short his career. It is much better, in my book, to be able to say "I wish he could have continued, too bad about the accident." then to say: "it is a shame what happened after the second one."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1986036)   #33
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got to disagree with you John. I've always lived by the philosophy of getting back on the horse that threw you. I think many highly competitive people would be the same.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 01:36 (Ref:1986465)   #34
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, iwould love to see hin racing again,but like coyote9999 said can he.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 10:24 (Ref:1986570)   #35
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
There is a difference between getting back on the horse adn getting back on the forse knowing the same injury (or less) could kill or permanently cripple you.

I know that risk exists, in a sense, everytime you step into a racing car. The injuries CDM received exponentially increase the likelihood that you won't recover next time.

"Getting back on the horse" applies more to the wreck Dario had, imho. than CDM's situation.

But again, should he be able to and choose to, then that is what he does.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 13:24 (Ref:1986667)   #36
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know where you are coming from John and I respect that view. Nobody wants to see anyone hurt.

But Cristiano, I am sure, will take the view that he could have a bad injury anywhere in life. It would be better for him to return (if possible) than to stay away and then regret it in old age.

It would take a freak accident really. And freak accidents happen in all walks of life.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 15:07 (Ref:1986703)   #37
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shorty is young and will certainly chose to continue racing; it would be a poor choice, I agree with John.
There is more to life than racing.