Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 4 Mar 2010, 05:16 (Ref:2644576)   #1
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 Atlantic Championship Season Cancelled

Wow, some disturbing news... The Atlantic Championship 2010 season has been cancelled. It was stated this series will be on a hiatus until the global economic conditions improve.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 05:32 (Ref:2644581)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, not unexpected sadly... so much history, and it's in the very best case being put on hold. A large amount of blame goes to Tony George for beginning the split... and shutting Atlantic out of the Indycar circle (e.g. baring them from Long Beach), and supporting the inferior Indylights series.

That said, it was the economic downturn that finished the series off - there just aren't drivers out there with the cash to compete, and those that do have the cash wouldn't want to compete in a series with no clear next step that has had trouble paying out prize money.

Unfortunately, Atlantic won't be the last motorsport casualty of the economy. Motorsports, by definition, is excessive spending, blowing away money...and it's something I don't think people are going to be doing for quite a few more years. I fully expect IRL and ALMS grids to continue shrinking if not more. It will take several years before motorsports in North America begins to turn around.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Mar 2010, 06:53 (Ref:2644609)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Yup, not unexpected sadly... so much history, and it's in the very best case being put on hold. A large amount of blame goes to Tony George for beginning the split... and shutting Atlantic out of the Indycar circle (e.g. baring them from Long Beach), and supporting the inferior Indylights series.

That said, it was the economic downturn that finished the series off - there just aren't drivers out there with the cash to compete, and those that do have the cash wouldn't want to compete in a series with no clear next step that has had trouble paying out prize money.

Unfortunately, Atlantic won't be the last motorsport casualty of the economy. Motorsports, by definition, is excessive spending, blowing away money...and it's something I don't think people are going to be doing for quite a few more years. I fully expect IRL and ALMS grids to continue shrinking if not more. It will take several years before motorsports in North America begins to turn around.
Can't tell you how many people I know that have lost their houses, income, jobs, just about everything. Motorsports experienced a huge boom, a lot of it fueled by the real estate and financial services explosion and those that needed an outlet to spend that cash, whether on themselves or little johnny.

Yep I think it is going to be years and years before we will see anything like it again. Race series and teams are going to have to adjust their business models in a major way as the days of drivers turning up with big checks is over for now.

I don't see it as Atlantics fault as much as it is a victim of circumstance. FBMW was another series that the writing was on the wall for and it's gone. Others could go as well.

Also it proves a point that Greenprix was NEVER going anywhere if they couldn't keep Atlantics going.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2644803)   #4
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Unfortunately, more blame has to go to Ben Johnston for not paying the prizes. Racers won't go down a dead end road, especially if there's nothing at the end. I'm pretty sure he's f*cked Summerton's chance at F2 because he didn't pay the prize money.
Old 5 Mar 2010, 04:58 (Ref:2645278)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Unfortunately, more blame has to go to Ben Johnston for not paying the prizes. Racers won't go down a dead end road, especially if there's nothing at the end. I'm pretty sure he's f*cked Summerton's chance at F2 because he didn't pay the prize money.
The $1 million prize was a scheme where each team payed in a certain amount - $50k into a pot for the winner. Most of the teams didn't honour that deal, and hence the money wasn't payed out. Other prize money was payed out. I don't blame Ben for those failings... If it wasn't for Ben Johnston, there would have been no 2009 season - I don't blame him at all for trying.

"Racers won't go down a dead end road" - unfortunately, for most drivers these days, it is a dead end road regardless of the series they're in.

mountainstar is correct, and the worst part of these things - be it Champ Car going under or existing racing teams going under is the effect is has on the people. You have to be 120% dedicated to motorsports to want to work in it - it takes a life long dedication and many sacrifices; I can't imagine how it must be to lose your livelihood. I've met so many wonderful people in motorsports, but some of the most enthusiastic and passionate people have been in the Atlantic Championship. I truly wish everyone involved - both with teams and the series, the best for the future.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Mar 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2646283)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Please merge with this.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2649065)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unfortunately, I think it was expected.