Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Jun 2007, 00:37 (Ref:1938065)   #1
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bourdais and F1

With the latest rumours having Bourdais at williams to replace wurz,would newman\haas allow this to happen and who would replace at the team for the reminding season?.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 01:45 (Ref:1938083)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
What about a driver swap?
Old 16 Jun 2007, 02:57 (Ref:1938101)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As much as I like Alex Wurz, we need a superstar or up and coming superstar in the Mcdonalds ride.

Surely they have a short list, no doubt Justin Wilson would be on it but I am hoping he would stay with RSports to keep another competitive team. Will DaMatta ever race again, if so he still has fond memories of NHL, Scott Speed if he is kicked from STR,
Old 16 Jun 2007, 05:36 (Ref:1938131)   #4
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm absolutely not a fan of Bourdais - his general arrogance in a number of written and televised interviews Ive seen over the last few years (and his track etiquette) reminds me too much of Schumacher M. By all means go to F1 - theres a few drivers in there who will clip his wings if he tries the same stunts in F1.
As for a replacement - why dont they look at someone like young Jonathan Summerton who raced for the USA A1 GP team this season - yes it may take a couple of seasons to get right up to speed but this guy has genuine talent and from a marketing sense the All American persona about him.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 05:39 (Ref:1938132)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a link for this rumor?
Personally I can't see Bourdais going to Williams this season.
I would expect Rosberg to go to Toyota next year and a Nakajima to partner Wurz in '08. Wurz is highly regarded for his technical feedback, they wouldn't want to lose him to Champ Car IMO.
I think Bourdais will be at STR next year.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Jun 2007, 07:16 (Ref:1938166)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
www.mnews.com.au is the link. about 5 or 6 pages in I believe.

Wurz hasnt really been all that inspiring on his return but it would be strange to let someone go mid season.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1938404)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Nothing in that I think. More of a speculative make news story IMO.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Jun 2007, 15:26 (Ref:1938552)   #8
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
As much as I like Alex Wurz, we need a superstar or up and coming superstar in the Mcdonalds ride.

Surely they have a short list, no doubt Justin Wilson would be on it but I am hoping he would stay with RSports to keep another competitive team. Will DaMatta ever race again, if so he still has fond memories of NHL, Scott Speed if he is kicked from STR,
I agree - a Seb Bourdais / Scott Speed straight swap makes sense.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 18:22 (Ref:1938842)   #9
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a fan of Scott Speed, but I think that he will probably lose his seat next year to Bourdais at STR.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 02:31 (Ref:1939302)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
Nothing in that I think. More of a speculative make news story IMO.
It did say it was a rumour.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 04:42 (Ref:1939376)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Sure just not a very strong one.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 10:41 (Ref:1939667)   #12
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can't see there being any hope of seeing Bourdais in a Williams.

However, more interestingly, this weeks Autosport magazine is reporting that a Bourdais -> STR deal for 2008 is as good as signed. Most certainly, this seems like the last Champ Car championship he will win
Old 18 Jun 2007, 04:08 (Ref:1940450)   #13
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota?
Old 18 Jun 2007, 04:58 (Ref:1940463)   #14
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I just wonder why Sebass would want to go to a team who's cars are soooo slowww -- the only team that Toro Rosso beats on a consistent basis is Spyker. He can't carry that team into the points on his own. No driver can.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 18 Jun 2007 at 05:03.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 08:40 (Ref:1940560)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I try to see things from his POV quite a lot. I don't know why, but this is one thing that often occupies my mind.

It seems he has more or less written off F1 in terms of realistically expecting it, although is still trying to keep the door open.

I would've thought, for various reasons, that he would only be inclined to accept a reasonably competitive seat. Whilst we can, barring some highly unusual goings on, rule out Ferrari and Mclaren, there still remains some options.

Does anyone know what sort of relationship he has with Renault as company? Williams and BMW would be the other options of similar "strength", although Williams has long been a rather big question mark.

One thing in favour of the Williams link is that they are not afraid to run CART/ChampCar drivers. Granted the series is not what it once was, but the way Sebastian wipes the floor must be worth something.

BMW I don't see.

Perhaps he would be willing to take a comparatively poor seat (STR, or equivalent), but I just don't see that either.

RBR, though...that could be worth a shot. They have potential to go somewhere, and their current status means it is not unrealistic that he could get a ride there. Given Red Bull's desires on the US market, could Sebastian aid that? OK, granted, ChampCar is not exactly headline news...but SB is a hell of an important part of it insofar as its influence spreads.

Well, I think I will leave it there for now.

Last edited by Dutton; 18 Jun 2007 at 08:45.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1940670)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Think about it. SB is a big fish in a small pond here. What is left for him to prove? It would be like winning the GP2 championship multiple times - to the F1 world that would just earn a big "So what?" He has a shot at a seat with Toro Rosso for 2008. Granted, they are not a threat for points, but they can and do on a consistent basis mix it up well with the mid pack cars.

My take is that SB figures this is his shot to get his foot in the door with the Big Show. If he does well: qualify decently, bring the car home and nip at the 10 - 16 positions in the races, then the Door of Opportunity swings open in 2009. DC will likely be gone from RBR by then and SB could get a promotion.

Other scenarios include Rubens retiring, Trulli leaving Toyota, etc. By 2009 there may be some good seats available where SB may be able to challenge for points or podium on a regular basis. None of this happens if he stays in CC.

Right now there is a lot of good, fast, cheap young talent out there. SB needs to stop being picky and grab the brass ring pronto.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 18 Jun 2007 at 10:33.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1940760)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

Is he being picky though ? The only thing he didnt want was a test drive.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 13:58 (Ref:1940793)   #18
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he hopes to have a career in F1 he needs to jump as soon as possible to anyone where he can get a seat. The worst ride in F1 probably pays as well or better than CC. Once in F1 he can move up. How many drivers started with 2nd or 3rd rate teams? Many did including Alonso. The longer he is in CC the less his chances are. He has nothing to gain there and everything to lose and he is getting older when F1 are beginning to raid the cradle.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 01:07 (Ref:1941244)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
He was being picky for a good long while wanting a "competitive" ride. I think he would have turned his nose up at the STR thing as recently as a year ago. Having young Master Todt as his manager has made a difference in his mindset.

Right now the average age on the grid in F1 is under 30. And that is with DC and Rubens. Take them out and your average age drops quickly. SB is no kid. Like Leighton said above, he needs to make his move now or become another might-have-been.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 10:01 (Ref:1941502)   #20
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
I just wonder why Sebass would want to go to a team who's cars are soooo slowww -- the only team that Toro Rosso beats on a consistent basis is Spyker. He can't carry that team into the points on his own. No driver can.
But that would not be the reason he'd go there. The only job he has to do is to beat either Liuzzi or Speed (or whoever his teammate is) both in qualifying and the races. If he does that he will get a shot with the better teams. That's the way how guys like Webber, Alonso, Fisicella, Trulli and Wilson got opportunities: They beat their minardi-teammate and got a better drive.

What i've been hearing for a year now is that Gerhard Berger and Red Bull own both half of Toro Rosso and both have to come up with $15 million each to run the team. Red bull has no problem doing that, but Gerhard has and that's why he was so interested in getting Doornbos and Senna a drive over Liuzzi and Speed. Doornbos because of Muermans and other sponsors, and Senna because it seems reasonable to expect to land a big brazilian sponsor with Senna in F1.

With that in mind i wonder why Bourdais is being rumoured because i cannot imagine him bringing money to the team. Maybe Bourdais management (isn't that the son of Jean Todt?) has found some sponsorship and is hoping for some backing from the ffsa (the french division of the fia), which promotes the french gp? There is no french driver in F1 anymore.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 10:07 (Ref:1941508)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
He was being picky for a good long while wanting a "competitive" ride. I think he would have turned his nose up at the STR thing as recently as a year ago. Having young Master Todt as his manager has made a difference in his mindset.
Untill he signed with Todt, I dont think he had any opportunities with STR
Old 19 Jun 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1941984)   #22
NorCal
Rookie

United States
Northern CA
NorCal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumors from the IRL paddock at USGP is that Sebass is leaving Newman/Hass at the end of the year and Marco Andretti will fill the seat. No word on where he might go but seems a good fit for Marco as he is struggling on ovals.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 23:18 (Ref:1942131)   #23
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
IRL paddock at the USGP???
Old 20 Jun 2007, 00:05 (Ref:1942151)   #24
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal
Rumors from the IRL paddock at USGP is that Sebass is leaving Newman/Hass at the end of the year and Marco Andretti will fill the seat. No word on where he might go but seems a good fit for Marco as he is struggling on ovals.
Oooh how I would love to see that happen -- It would give us great chance to see how Marco stacks up against previous Newman Haas drivers. If he can dominate (which is doubtful in my opinion) it might open a door for him to F1.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 02:39 (Ref:1942198)   #25
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Mario would probably be OK with it, but I seriously doubt Michael would be.