Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 2 Nov 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2980708)   #1
Sparkkadian
Rookie

Sparkkadian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Single seater prospects.

Hi im new to the forum, sorry if ive posted this in the wrong section.

Im looking into the possibility of getting a single seater race car for track days, the problem for me is generally the complete cars ive seen for sale (ex formula renault, dallara, formula jedi etc) are too expensive for what i can afford, however i have seen here and there complete chassis for cheap which just need engine and drive train.

As im only wanting one for fun on track days, i was thinking of going for something like the latter as a project. So far i havent found much, can anyone advise me if there are companies that supply parts to build one up from a chassis? Or any type of complete single seater cars that arnt so high end? Any help would be great thanks.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2980713)   #2
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doubt that any track day company will allow a single seater out on track with "normal" cars to be honest.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2980727)   #3
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very few track days will let out any sort of open wheel car, which means doing circuit test days and having a race licence. I wouldn't want to be in something so low and against cars much higher and 3 times as heavy. They may not see you...

Maybe if you designed something with Clatterham style mud guards that would be ok.

If you want a cheap single seater (that will still lap most circuits quicker than most road cars), then look at something like a Formula Vauxhall Lotus or an older Formula Ford or Formula Ford Zetec or a Formula Vauxhall Junior.

If it has to be wings and slicks, Vauxhall Lotus is probably cheapest in that configuration without designing and fitting your own parts, various Formula Renaults above that and then your into Dallaras which start at around £ 15,000 and go up from there.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2980860)   #4
Sparkkadian
Rookie

Sparkkadian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah i didnt realize that, so nearly all single seater racing is strictly event based?
You make a very good point about not being seen by other drivers, even so in a crash they wouldnt hold up against a road going car. Would i have to get a race license and enter specialized events? Not that id mind in fact that would be a dream for me, i just dont think id have the time or money for that.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2980942)   #5
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The general (insurance) restriction for track days is open wheels, not how many seats.

So Caterham style mudguards would sort.

But having tried a (slower) single-seater on a track day once, years ago, expect to be held up at each and every corner all day.