Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 25 Apr 2007, 10:08 (Ref:1899965)   #1
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karting interest increasing as a result of Hamilton

Read interesting article yesterday in my local paper, saying that more young people want to do karting because Lewis did.
In particular, there was some interesting points raised by John Huff, Rye House's events co ordinator, in an interview.

http://www.herts-essex-news.co.uk/sp...d%20factor.lpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huff
"It's fantastic for our industry. More people are going karting because Lewis Hamilton went karting. Young kids see him do well and want to be like him so they tell their parents they want to do karting because that's where he started.
"There's a lot more interest in it now and it's for no other reason other than what Lewis is doing in Formula One and the fact that he's getting on the podium."
Surely this can only be a good thing, it's evident already that having a young british talent is already increasing motorsport's popularity amongst young and old.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1900708)   #2
mrsweety
Racer

mrsweety should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure, you still need the cash to do it. Could be RH PR stunt.....

Even so! it's still good for the sport.
Old 28 Apr 2007, 15:10 (Ref:1902253)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've attended a few kart meetings at 3 Sisters recently where a friends son is racing Rotax Max. I've been extremely impressed by the standard of preparation and professionalism on display by nearly all the teams.

There are lot of kids being funded by their parents, perhaps not to the extent that Lewis Hamilton was, but there is a lot of parent involvement. A few are kids of people I raced against in Formula Ford some years ago and are obviously following in their dads footsteps.

One thing I have noticed is that there quite a lot of female racers, more so than in circuit car racing.
Old 28 Apr 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1902397)   #4
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly.. the more public interest and awareness is a very good thing for the sport as a whole too.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2987825)   #5
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
kart_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may have brought new people to the sport but the sport is still not as big as it was 10 years ago (Recession Mo Fo's)

I think it has (Lewis Hamilto syndrome) brought in Dads who believe there boy will be the next LH and spend excessive amounts of money only to then have a right old go at the lil' one when he/she does not perform to daddies standard. This is when the fun of the sport is lost.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3035159)   #6
Ayrton5enna
Rookie

Ayrton5enna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karting is far to expensive for most people. It used to be a fast but simplistic father son sport. But obviously companies are now complicating it with expensive unnecessary parts. Also with the rise of people shelling off bucket loads for the extra 2-3 tenths will increase costs as others wil have to do the same to stay competative.
Have you seen the cost for one round at super 1 all you can say that they spend five figures
Old 5 Mar 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3035319)   #7
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of a 'bump' and a bit off topic but regarding costs, I have to agree the finances involved are unbelievable. I know of a couple of super One drivers on £70,000-£80,000 a year, and that's low end. I run my own kart (Just) completely funded by myself, and I'm a student, so O/D karting is possible on a budget....I also started comparatively late, so for me, there was little input from the success's of British drivers, it was much more to do with the fact I could both enjoy it and still be fairly competitive.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3035327)   #8
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, i went to watch Formula Kart Stars (Bernie's thing) at Whilton Mill last year and got chatting to one of the Karting Dad's....

He was stumping up £55k a year for his step-son to tug around at the back of the Cadet class.

Madness. Absolute madness.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 12:03 (Ref:3035328)   #9
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should also add it varies greatly across the varying classes, A mate of mine a few years back ran in Junior Easykart for (I think it was) around £8,000...which is of course comparatively cheap
Old 5 Mar 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3035344)   #10
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
Should also add it varies greatly across the varying classes, A mate of mine a few years back ran in Junior Easykart for (I think it was) around £8,000...which is of course comparatively cheap
well i spent 3000 a year to race in club level tkm......i won a few races at 3 sisters and hooton so not too bad, especially when they were 20 kart grids with people wayyyy more experienced than me on bigger budgets!

i think its madness spending vast amounts of money on karting. i was talking to a guy who raced rotax at club level and asked what his budget was...20k a year!!!....i said to him you do realise you can go and race single seaters at club level for a lot less than that....he was like, erm no.....!.....dumb!
Old 5 Mar 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3035412)   #11
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's ridiculous. When I did Mini & Junior Max back in 2003/04 we spent around £2000-3000 (admittedly we were only racing at one circuit).

This season we should be doing a healthy season of Formula Ford 1600 for around £7000. In the last two seasons we have spent around £10,000-11000/year to do the same. It always amazes me that people will spend the equivalent of a BARC FRenault budget to race karts!
Old 5 Mar 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3035448)   #12
Ayrton5enna
Rookie

Ayrton5enna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
I like easykarting, there is not much room for mad spending. Like some individuals buying multiple (Ex winning S1 engines) and also multiple chassis through out one championship.
I would defiantly would have tried easykart BUT the geography is to extreme. Easykart hold their races at all four corners of UK. Would take allot of commitment.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 21:37 (Ref:3036689)   #13
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton5enna View Post
I like easykarting, there is not much room for mad spending. Like some individuals buying multiple (Ex winning S1 engines) and also multiple chassis through out one championship.
I would defiantly would have tried easykart BUT the geography is to extreme. Easykart hold their races at all four corners of UK. Would take allot of commitment.
I currently race easykart and im a front runner (4th in british champs in 2011 and 3rd in world champs 2011) and i have to say its actually not that expensive. The season can and does get done on alot less than £8000 a year by myself who runs at the front. I can't knock the series.

When however i used to run super one, even with a team drive with tal-ko so i got free/discounted parts we were running up £15000+ a season