Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Mar 2017, 08:03 (Ref:3716033)   #2426
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
This doesn't bode well for the season. I can see Team Dynamics spending a lot of time rebuilding cars rather than concentrating on winning championships:/
How much time was spent last year rebuilding cars from accident's Simpson had?

I guess they'll be rebuilding for their other drivers too?

And BMR must be just as worried about the time they'll spend rebuilding Plato's car....

Old 3 Mar 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3716035)   #2427
pagey318
Rookie

pagey318 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been told it will be Howard in at BMR
Old 3 Mar 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3716040)   #2428
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey318 View Post
I have been told it will be Howard in at BMR
Gravel trap contractors rejoice!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3716041)   #2429
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Gravel trap contractors rejoice!
Heh, the safety cars will spice up the races.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 09:03 (Ref:3716042)   #2430
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Wow, hope all is well. Better to happen in testing than a race, learning the limits etc.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 09:09 (Ref:3716043)   #2431
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Wow, hope all is well. Better to happen in testing than a race, learning the limits etc.
if you scroll back some posts weve been discussing that shunt since yesterday.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3716048)   #2432
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How much time was spent last year rebuilding cars from accident's Simpson had?

I guess they'll be rebuilding for their other drivers too?

And BMR must be just as worried about the time they'll spend rebuilding Plato's car....

There you go jumping down my throat again! I take it we're not entitled to our own opinions on here?!

I'm just saying he seemed to find himself in a number of incidents last year, some caused by himself. (The two examples you've given were racing incidents where cars got spun off due to other people making contact so hardly a fair comparison to a solo crash).
Old 3 Mar 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3716056)   #2433
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
if you scroll back some posts weve been discussing that shunt since yesterday.
Wow.

Let's all set reminders and a cutoff limit.

FYI, the discussion was/is still happening.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 10:27 (Ref:3716068)   #2434
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
And Simpson sponsor the Ginetta Juniors too - if money was tight they wouldn't be doing that as well as the BTCC effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
thats not the same Simpson. the logos are very similar. I guess Simpson exhausts copied Simpson racewear logo, who are an American company.
Ah interesting - thanks

I assume that's the Simpson of 'Simpson Hybrid' Hans device thingy then? All very confusing but given how much they charge for those things I can see how they can afford to sponsor a championship
Old 3 Mar 2017, 11:12 (Ref:3716080)   #2435
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The two examples you've given were racing incidents where cars got spun off due to other people making contact
Which is precisely my point.

Due to pictures of a car damaged after an accident, criticism of Simpson is made with an expectation that his driving is so bad, that it will prevent Team Dynamics from supporting Neal and Shedden effectively.

He's not the first driver in BTCC history to have his car significantly damaged, and I am unsure why his driving standards were attacked as result of an incident in testing - the details of which are unclear.

Not sure why you feel it is jumping down your throat to highlight other cars have been damaged in the past - surely forecasting a high level of damage for Simpson next season is jumping to highly critical conclusions?
Old 3 Mar 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3716084)   #2436
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Which is precisely my point.

Due to pictures of a car damaged after an accident, criticism of Simpson is made with an expectation that his driving is so bad, that it will prevent Team Dynamics from supporting Neal and Shedden effectively.

He's not the first driver in BTCC history to have his car significantly damaged, and I am unsure why his driving standards were attacked as result of an incident in testing - the details of which are unclear.

Not sure why you feel it is jumping down your throat to highlight other cars have been damaged in the past - surely forecasting a high level of damage for Simpson next season is jumping to highly critical conclusions?
Because it's not the first time you've been quick to react to one of my posts and take it out of context for the sake of an argument that's all.

I don't see you passing judgement on all the people who criticise Mark Howard suggesting that if he were to join BMR, Subaru would be taking gravel out of their car constantly. So I don't see why a jovial comment regarding Simpson's past season of off track excursions and bumps should be any different.

The fact that this is a test session (IE few cars on track together and zero contact) suggests that aside from technical failure or driver illness then chances are he went off track due to running out of talent or inexperience at that circuit.

I'll hold my hands up high and say sorry if it's proven otherwise but for now, it's an assumption on my part that he overcooked it and binned it into something fairly solid.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3716089)   #2437
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Simpson has got talent, remember the first meeting at Brands Hatch, he managed to creep up the order with each race. He makes mistakes, but so have many others. Dynamics might be the best team to improve with.

So how much longer are we going to wait before BMR finally announce Howard?
Old 3 Mar 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3716091)   #2438
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Hopefully forever
Old 3 Mar 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3716092)   #2439
c8nay
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, England
c8nay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd bet, if he is joining them, on BMR leaving it until media day to hide it amongst all the launch hype. Not something they'd want to make a song and dance about is it?
Old 3 Mar 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3716094)   #2440
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Simpson has got talent, remember the first meeting at Brands Hatch, he managed to creep up the order with each race. He makes mistakes, but so have many others. Dynamics might be the best team to improve with.

Oh I don't dispute the guy's talent at all, his run at Rockingham 'in front' of Shedden was great, and his pace improved lap on lap. But he seemed to get involved in a few incidents throughout the year and always seemed to have a few bits hanging off the car by the end of each race.

His jump straight into the top circuit based series in the UK is to be commended. A few years of Clios may have been a better bet to get some knowledge of the tracks first but he's shown good pace at the places he's more comfortable with.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3716095)   #2441
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I don't see you passing judgement on all the people who criticise Mark Howard suggesting that if he were to join BMR, Subaru would be taking gravel out of their car constantly. So I don't see why a jovial comment regarding Simpson's past season of off track excursions and bumps should be any different.
Howard has a proven record for causing incidents, so much so that by the time they reached Silverstone last year, he had three reprimands, a one race ban (suspended) and a two penalty points.
Whereas Simpson has sustained damage during mid-pack battles, and a (currently) unexplained off during testing.

The criticism of Mark Howard is based on an official record of discretion, as opposed to speculation based on images that have no context.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3716098)   #2442
thlbtcc
Veteran

Two wheels off the ground, none too shabby.

Old 3 Mar 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3716104)   #2443
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh I don't dispute the guy's talent at all, his run at Rockingham 'in front' of Shedden was great, and his pace improved lap on lap. But he seemed to get involved in a few incidents throughout the year and always seemed to have a few bits hanging off the car by the end of each race.

His jump straight into the top circuit based series in the UK is to be commended. A few years of Clios may have been a better bet to get some knowledge of the tracks first but he's shown good pace at the places he's more comfortable with.
After the final race at Rockingham i took the chance to walk round the paddock and look at the cars.
I can assure you most of the cars had bits hanging off them!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3716106)   #2444
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Howard has a proven record for causing incidents, so much so that by the time they reached Silverstone last year, he had three reprimands, a one race ban (suspended) and a two penalty points.
Whereas Simpson has sustained damage during mid-pack battles, and a (currently) unexplained off during testing.

The criticism of Mark Howard is based on an official record of discretion, as opposed to speculation based on images that have no context.
Which is precisely my point. Simpson seemed to be in the thick of things last year and always appeared to be carrying some damage. Whether that's as a result of people hitting him or him hitting other people, the fact is he had more than his fair share of damage to repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
After the final race at Rockingham i took the chance to walk round the paddock and look at the cars.
I can assure you most of the cars had bits hanging off them!
I'm not saying Simpson's alone in the damage camp, but for someone who's now been taken under the wing of one of the top teams on the grid I personally feel that he needs to step things up a notch and perhaps look after his car a little more.

Again it was simply an observation, I keep forgetting that unless you're a Twitter fanboi of every driver on the grid (whilst at the same time hating Matt and Steve Neal) singing Glory Glory Jason Plato etc etc then don't expect anyone to share your centiment or let you voice an opinion!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3716109)   #2445
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Again it was simply an observation, I keep forgetting that unless you're a Twitter fanboi of every driver on the grid (whilst at the same time hating Matt and Steve Neal) singing Glory Glory Jason Plato etc etc then don't expect anyone to share your centiment or let you voice an opinion!
I think you haven't been following this closely enough if you think Plato is popular
Old 3 Mar 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3716110)   #2446
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Portimao is such an amazing circuit. Even for a modern facility with acres of run off, its still for me the best "new" venue around.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 13:39 (Ref:3716112)   #2447
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I think you haven't been following this closely enough if you think Plato is popular
Ok maybe not Plato but you know what I mean, it seems like no one's allowed to have a bad word to say about anyone on here.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3716122)   #2448
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Portimao is such an amazing circuit. Even for a modern facility with acres of run off, its still for me the best "new" venue around.
Agreed. Elevation is where it's at.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 14:57 (Ref:3716128)   #2449
thlbtcc
Veteran

Nice to see Toyota GB tweeting about the BTCC - https://twitter.com/ToyotaGB/status/837408693792739333
Old 3 Mar 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3716132)   #2450
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Nice to see Toyota GB tweeting about the BTCC - https://twitter.com/ToyotaGB/status/837408693792739333
Lets hope they follow in BMW's footsteps!