Old 9 Jan 2003, 16:25 (Ref:468568)   #1
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for you lydden regulars

just been posted on another forum for those that knew him

""It is my sad duty to inform all members that Gary Turtell lost his life in a workshop accident on Monday 6th January 2003.

Gary may not be familiar to many of you, as he predominantly worked on the car and track day side of our business. He was however, totally dedicated to the club and in particular Lydden Hill circuit where he had marshalled for over 25 years.
Some of you may know him as the Magnum (Tom Selleck) lookalike who worked on the startline at Lydden Hill for the majority of the club events.""
Old 9 Jan 2003, 17:41 (Ref:468626)   #2
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very Very sad news indeed, Gary was always a welcome face for a chat when the BARC HQ units ventured to Lydden.
My condolences to his family and friends
Old 9 Jan 2003, 18:45 (Ref:468682)   #3
Mad Hats
Rookie

Mad Hats should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’s hard to imagine Lydden without Gary, he seemed to be an almost permanent fixture at the circuit. No matter what kind of event, Gary seemed to have arrived before everyone else and was certain to be there long after everyone else had gone home, I’m sure there are many anecdotes to be recounted but one I remember was on a very long and wet winter race day at Lydden with an almost completely empty spectator area where somebody ‘radioed in’ that a dog was on the loose – in his typically dry manner Gary returned the call with, “ If it starts to fly a kite and play football we could be in real trouble”
Gary’s knowledge was remarkable and no matter how obscure the vehicle he always seemed to know its background. He had a wonderfully measured attitude and his decisions always demanded respect from racers and marshals alike. We would like to extend our sympathies to Gary’s family and his many friends - it just won’t be the same without him.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 10:56 (Ref:469337)   #4
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only agree with Mad Hats. During my years at Lydden, Gary always seemed to be in control, keeping things running smoothly whilst others lost their rag. I think I can speak for the whole of the Rallycross Startline crew when I say that our time on circuit would not have been nearly so much fun without Gary's dry wit. Just the way in which he would quietly shake his head when he'd seen what the latest prop on the post was would make it all worthwhile.

It just wont be the same without you Gary.

My sympathy to all friends and family.

R.I.P.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 12:00 (Ref:471940)   #5
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My colleagues Mad Hats and Hog on the Rallycross Startline crew have made very touching tributes to a man held in great respect by all at Lydden.

Gary would on occasions gather us all together to announce the sad loss of a fellow marshal or competitor and get us to stand in a minutes silence. Even now I cannot comprehend that we will have to be doing this in remembrance of Gary.

At most meetings Gary was the calm reassuring voice on the radio, but when the occasion arose was not adverse to a humourous comment. I still remember his chuckle when in response to his question regarding circuit damage the unexpected reply was "yes, one daffodil down!"

To his family and friends, my deepest sympathy.

Goodbye Gary.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 17:12 (Ref:473226)   #6
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad and tragic news indeed, I knew Gary as a competitor both from Rallycross and more recently circuit racing and came across him in many guises including I thought Asst CofC ?
As in the tributes above he came across as unflustered and somebody who enjoyed his motorsport immensly.
Condolences to his family, friends and fellow marshals.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 10:06 (Ref:479778)   #7
Hog
Racer

I'm so very glad that I was able to attend Gary's funeral on Friday. It was very touching to see so many colleagues from Lydden and the race environment in general paying their respects to Gary. It was obvious from the tributes paid to his memory from his family that Gary was loved as much at home as he was respected at the circuit.

I think Gary may have been having a quiet chuckle to himself up on cloud post 1. Gnomex stuck on the M25 for 2 hours, Andy Ratcliffe getting a blowout on the Thanet Way, Jay doing 130mph not to be late, and it taking me 1 hour 20 minutes to get from Ashford to Margate.

R.I.P Gary from The Piston Broke Crew.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 18:55 (Ref:480277)   #8
Red Man
Rookie

Red Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wanted to add my condolences to Gary's family. Gary will be sorely missed at Lydden. I was unable to attend the funeral on Friday to pay my respects.

He was my first instructor at Lydden - post 10 - Gary's usual haunt before he had to put on that shirt and tie!

My other lasting memory of Gary will be that he and Alan never did manage to pitch that tent at Pestalozzi!

See you on the bank.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 21:19 (Ref:480468)   #9
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some very happy memories of Gary at Lydden. I will miss the nights before the events sitting in Gary's caravan till the early hours having a few beers and talking about our favourite subject.

Gary and Alan did get a tent at Pestalozzi one year, the huge Caterham marquee.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 08:43 (Ref:480827)   #10
Hog
Racer

You'll have to forgive me as I fail to recall which one of the two it was, but one of them allegedly woke to find a squirrel sitting on their chest in that marquee. Mind you, with Alan and Gary anything was possible.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 18:31 (Ref:504690)   #11
Red Man
Rookie

Red Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first year Gary and Alan slept in the signing on tent near teh start line and Alan woke to find a squirrel sitting on his chest, the second year they slept in the open sided Caterham Marquee and the third year Alan passed out and we stuffed him in the back of the course van! and Gary had to sleep in the car!
Old 13 Feb 2003, 20:19 (Ref:505698)   #12
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one thing I really liked about Gary was that he knew everyones name, a lovely bloke who will be missed.

God bless you Sir.