Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 5 Aug 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2516124)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NASCAR road course weekend at Watkins Glen.

Back to a road course again, magnificent Watkins Glen.

Nationwide and Cup in action. I wonder who will be driving the TBA #42 in the Nationwide race?

Well, just five races to run until we decide the Chase seedings. Let's see how the points are shaping up coming into this weekend.

Tony Stewart (726 points ahead of 13th)
Jimmie Johnson (529 points ahead of 13th)
Jeff Gordon (527 points ahead of 13th)
Kurt Busch (289 points ahead of 13th)
Denny Hamlin (251 points ahead of 13th)
Carl Edwards (203 points ahead of 13th)
Kasey Kahne (180 points ahead of 13th)
Juan Pablo Montoya (169 points ahead of 13th)
Ryan Newman (165 points ahead of 13th)
Mark Martin (160 points ahead of 13th)
Matt Kenseth (102 points ahead of 13th)
Greg Biffle (101 points ahead of 13th)

David Reutimann (121 points out of 12th)

Being realistic, it looks as though there are only four outside the Chase cutoff with a realistic chance of getting into it. Jeff Burton, in 17th, is a pretty huge 262 points out of it which would require two really good weekends whilst absolutely everyone ahead faltered. It can happen, but for now doesn't look all that possible. We shall see.

The four with a reasonable shot at getting in are so close that we could feasibly go to Richmond with a great battle on our hands, although you have to feel that Reutimann will continue his lame form at road courses and drop out of contention this weekend. A valiant effort this season though, one of the surprises.

Tony Stewart should be the first to cement his Chase place this weekend.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2516232)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A rumour bouncing around on various forums that Jacques Villeneuve will be making an appearance in a top-35 car this weekend.

No real credible sources yet, but we'll see. I'd be surprised.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2516320)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't wait to see the double file restarts in action at the Glen, should be awesome.

Also, keeping my fingers crossed both Montoya and Ambrose have solid runs.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2516361)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Am hoping JPM just stays behind Ambrose. Bit reckless at times...
Old 5 Aug 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2516394)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It would seem Villeneuve got the call to replace Sorenson who had a fitness question mark, but Reed is now scheduled to be back in the car after being passed fit.

So JV is back on the plane home.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 06:22 (Ref:2516601)   #6
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

Boris Said would more than agree. Infact, last I heard was that he was still after him.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 21:28 (Ref:2517007)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Boris Said would more than agree. Infact, last I heard was that he was still after him.
the Fro never forgets.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 01:43 (Ref:2517086)   #8
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Ambrose gets to start from his qualifying position and not the back like nearly all his road course cup starts so far.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 08:06 (Ref:2517193)   #9
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
JPM will have no say in that matter - this is all he will see of Ambrose
Old 7 Aug 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2517265)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Certainly possible, given JPM's qualifying form on road courses. Although he hasn't had a chance to qualify at the Glen, barring a Busch race in 2007.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2517286)   #11
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Certainly possible, given JPM's qualifying form on road courses. Although he hasn't had a chance to qualify at the Glen, barring a Busch race in 2007.
Haven't found any weather notes but I hope it doesn't rain during Cup qualifying or the race since Goodyear will only bring wet weather tires for the Nationwide cars.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 10:42 (Ref:2517288)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully weather conditions are favourable for qualifying - will give me something to watch Saturday morning...
Old 7 Aug 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2517547)   #13
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#47 goes 4th,
My Favourite 08 moment was when Courtney/Besnard comeback drive at Bathurst. Courtney raced through to dominate the opening stint had 15 sec. gap to Lowndes who was in 2nd. In the 2nd stint a slowly deflating tyre (originally diagnosed as a damaged anti-roll bar) slowed Besnard's stint in Courtney's car allowing Whincup to assert dominance over the field rest of the race. On lap 160 S.Richards, fading badly on rear tyres was unable to stop Courtney move into 3rd place.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 23:20 (Ref:2517618)   #14
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Pole for Jimmie Johnson - interesting fact that Jimmie has never won on a road course

1 Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet Lowe's 71.340
2 Kurt Busch Dodge Miller Lite 71.348
3 Denny Hamlin Toyota FedEx Freight 71.653
4 Marcos Ambrose Toyota Little Debbie / Kingsford / Clorox 71.681
5 David Stremme Dodge Penske Racing 71.810
6 Ryan Newman Chevrolet U.S. Army 71.911
7 Greg Biffle Ford 3M 71.989
8 Kyle Busch Toyota M&M's 71.992
9 Boris Said Ford U.S. Chrome 72.003
10 Juan Montoya Chevrolet Target 72.247
Old 7 Aug 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2517620)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He should have by now you'd have thought, he can drive.

Ambrose has to be favourite I think.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 23:37 (Ref:2517625)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Given he spent the Pocono race going on about how he wouldn't risk the car, and all that, then went on to do things like squeezing into a space to make it four-wide into the tunnel, and such, hmmm, I wouldn't hold out too much hope...

If JPM ends up following Ambrose towards the end of the race, with them leading the race, you just know Juan is going to go for it at some point given even the slightest hint of a chance.

He may in his head be telling himself he is not going to take chances, and that, but I don't think he has it in him when it comes down to the heat of the battle. I don't think it is a particularly bad thing at all, but it can certainly be counter-productive at times.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 23:58 (Ref:2517630)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I disagree. I think he has it in him to hold back a bit. Sonoma for example. I know the car wasn't great, but he didn't drive it too hard either.

That said, I think if he has a shot at it on Sunday he may be tempted. I hope so, conservative is a bit boring.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2517650)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
I disagree. I think he has it in him to hold back a bit. Sonoma for example. I know the car wasn't great, but he didn't drive it too hard either.

That said, I think if he has a shot at it on Sunday he may be tempted. I hope so, conservative is a bit boring.
After being so close to a win the past two races one has to think Montoya is very, very hungry though. If he's hungry enough to throw conservative out the window should he sniff victory towards the end remains to be seen, however, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

As long as both he and Ambrose finishes I'll be a happy camper though, as I expect we'll see some crazy racing going on towards the end thanks to the double file restarts (hopefully not as crazy as in the 2002 Busch North race though).
Old 8 Aug 2009, 02:03 (Ref:2517661)   #19
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
WOW - that was some crazy happenings there... Does that series still run?
Old 8 Aug 2009, 03:41 (Ref:2517680)   #20
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im hoping our guy Ambrose does the business this weekend would be great to see him get a win in the cup series - what about the Canadian guy Fellows he's pretty sharp on this course from memory even though hes way down the grid.......
Old 8 Aug 2009, 08:30 (Ref:2517734)   #21
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
WHAT MARCOS HAS TO SAY --

"We just didn't have enough practice time here," said Ambrose.

"We started off a little slower than what we wanted to, but it was a good lap for us.

"We'll start somewhere in the front half of the field and we can try to win the race from there.

"We have to stay out of trouble and have to run fast here and try to make some good choices on pit strategy and we'll be fine."

I like the line "we'll be fine" - not cocky, but quietly confident, i reckon the whole NASCAR fraternity would like to see Marcos have a sprint cup win, aslong as all "the Chase" contenders have solid runs ....
Old 8 Aug 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2517907)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
WOW - that was some crazy happenings there... Does that series still run?
Yep, although these days the former Busch North and Busch East championships are running under the same NASCAR Camping World East Series umbrella.

Joey Logano was the 2007 Champion.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2518158)   #23
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#47 win the Zippo 200
My Favourite 08 moment was when Courtney/Besnard comeback drive at Bathurst. Courtney raced through to dominate the opening stint had 15 sec. gap to Lowndes who was in 2nd. In the 2nd stint a slowly deflating tyre (originally diagnosed as a damaged anti-roll bar) slowed Besnard's stint in Courtney's car allowing Whincup to assert dominance over the field rest of the race. On lap 160 S.Richards, fading badly on rear tyres was unable to stop Courtney move into 3rd place.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2518296)   #24
gossie
Rookie

gossie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats Marcos.......You are THE MAN.
Kyle 2nd......Mmmmm, and not happy by the actions on the cool down lap. Bad sportsmanship? Or just a friendly tap. LOL.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2518335)   #25
bullit
Rookie

Australia
up a tree on a mountain
bullit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
Congrats Marcos.......You are THE MAN.
Kyle 2nd......Mmmmm, and not happy by the actions on the cool down lap. Bad sportsmanship? Or just a friendly tap. LOL.

put that down to" dont you know who i am" smoke em in sprint as well marcos