Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Apr 2004, 07:21 (Ref:931893)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Top Hat/Cloth Cap Castle Combe Easter monday

anyone else competing? Having just got the final instructions through there are some great cars competing (although I am not sure how the Capri's fit into the GTA Challenge!)
Old 6 Apr 2004, 07:42 (Ref:931908)   #2
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there with my pal Laurence Edscer who is making his return to racing after a 6 year gap with his newly aquired Alfa GT.Any one testing on Thursday ????
Old 6 Apr 2004, 07:58 (Ref:931925)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
is that a Sprint GT? Having raced two of them (which are both racing on Monday) I am sure your mate will have a lot of fun, I am racing a Super Ti in the Top Hat race, is he in the GTA Challenge or Top Hat? I wish I could take the time off to test as I am more than a little rusty on both tin tops and Castle Combe!
Old 6 Apr 2004, 11:19 (Ref:932113)   #4
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watch the 2nd chicane it comes up v fast if you don't know were it is !!!!!1 nose cone later i found out the hard way.!
Old 6 Apr 2004, 11:32 (Ref:932129)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

thanks for that - knowledge is power!
or so they say!! I think its safe to say that in a Giulia Super Ti I will have a little longer to see it coming than a single seater!!
Old 6 Apr 2004, 14:21 (Ref:932340)   #6
Ted Walker
Veteran

Simon its an ex Ruddspeed car so its RHD and its lived in Germany for many years where it was last raced about 10 years or so ago.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 14:31 (Ref:932351)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

hhmm sounds very nice
I didnt realize Ruddspeed converted any 105 series I thought they only did the very pretty Giullietta's,
rather curiously I see that his car is entered into the cloth cap race rather than the top hat race
Old 7 Apr 2004, 07:39 (Ref:933086)   #8
Ted Walker
Veteran

Simon I might have got the wrong model ??? Come and have a look on Monday. I had a GTAM once and its the model before that I think.
Old 7 Apr 2004, 07:45 (Ref:933090)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

I look fwd to it! Either there is a typo error on the list of competitors or there are several instances where they have saloons in the cloth cap race - most notably and alarmingly a Renault Dauponoise in the same race as a Cobra and BMW Elva Mk 7 - scary!!!!!
Old 7 Apr 2004, 07:49 (Ref:933095)   #10
Ted Walker
Veteran

Simon this Alfa is a GT. I think the 1 Hour race has a real mish mash of entries.
Old 7 Apr 2004, 07:53 (Ref:933097)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

it should be quite simple - saloons in Top Hat and sportscars in cloth cap!
I hope your friends alfa is put into the right race (ie Top Hat) as he will have other Sprint GTs (both of my old ones are racing) plus other similarily powered cars - I think he might find the Cloth Cap a bit demoralizing in a saloon!
Given Julius is normally pretty organized in this I can only assume its an admin cock up!
Old 7 Apr 2004, 07:56 (Ref:933100)   #12
Ted Walker
Veteran

Simon , I think he fancied a long race in order to get his hand in again after a long lay off.
Old 7 Apr 2004, 08:01 (Ref:933105)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

top hat and cloth cap are both 1 hour - I think you are confusing it with GTA chanllenge which is also on there the same day. I agree with him the 1 hour races are much more fun, but he might want to check that unlike the regs he is in top hat rather than cloth cap
Old 7 Apr 2004, 09:05 (Ref:933162)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I really wanted to do this but as a first race I elected for the HRSR (HotRodSpecialRacers) series so I'll be at Donnington at the back of the field !!! given how under developed the car and driver are I have more chance of finishing a 20 minute race . . . .I'll be after you at Spa though Simon
Old 7 Apr 2004, 09:11 (Ref:933168)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

I look fwd to that!
remember keep it on the black stuff and when the hot rods sail passed take glee in the fact that they will soon be destined to UK only races!!!!!
Old 7 Apr 2004, 11:20 (Ref:933271)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Anyone know if Alan Mann's entered his 'new' Mustang, or is he gonna run at Donington HSCC?

and what's this about Capri's i hear?
Old 7 Apr 2004, 11:44 (Ref:933296)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

GTA Challenge includes several crappys (sorry Peter!) I guess they were concerned about making a grid with just GTA's.
I dont think Alan Mann is down for Combe. After he berated me for not getting off the racing line to let him passed at Julius' Goodwood trackday I presume he is eager to get back into racing mode!
I understand he is a neighbour of mine - I will remember to pull over if I see him in my mirror next time I go down Stockbridge high street!
Old 7 Apr 2004, 12:49 (Ref:933417)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
do you do 20mph on the high street as well then Simon

quite possible Simon . . .but I need a few autographs first !
Old 7 Apr 2004, 20:50 (Ref:933836)   #19
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really looking forward to what I'm hoping will be an excellent days sport. I've been trying to fit in at Top Hat meeting for a couple of years now but its always clashed with something else, so I was delighted when you guys ended up on my doorstep so to speak!

Hop e i only catch up with you competitor types at lunchtime
Old 7 Apr 2004, 21:10 (Ref:933851)   #20
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be there in the 100E - first time at Combe for us since 1984 (and I was 12 then so have eerm, minimal exerience of the track!)

looking forward to seeing you all there - blimey it's a long way from Carlisle!
Old 8 Apr 2004, 06:32 (Ref:934061)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

Yimkin I look fwd to picking up from where ypur Dad and I left off at Goodwood the other day!!!!
Old 8 Apr 2004, 09:45 (Ref:934185)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Carlisle !!! and you came all the way down to Goodwood for a test. . .having done that drive myself this week . . .your nuts !
Old 8 Apr 2004, 11:21 (Ref:934258)   #23
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhat crossposted in here about silencers

The point I am trying to make is, please remember to fit a decent silencer that will last the hour without getting too loud.
As some of you are coming from afar, it is worth checking before travelling, as a trip to Merlins is the one of last things you'd want to do on race day ££

Last edited by Paul V; 8 Apr 2004 at 11:23.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 12:43 (Ref:934317)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
GTA Challenge includes several crappys (sorry Peter!) I guess they were concerned about making a grid with just GTA's.
I heard about this recently. Its an idea hatched by Julius and Ken Clarke. I didn't think it would just be Capris because its aimed at Group 1 (pre 1983) machinery so there could be Dollies in there and Alfas etc.

I believe Julious is making some kind of official announcement so I don't want to say too much at this time.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 12:55 (Ref:934328)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I didn't think it would just be Capris because its aimed at Group 1 (pre 1983) machinery so there could be Dollies in there and Alfas etc.
Luvverly!