Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Dec 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3177088)   #26
John Bergqvist
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
John Bergqvist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Well done Allan,thats all that would be required.
That sounds great but the model used was the one with the 328cc engine, rather than the 492 (which is what we have). Would it still be close enough?
Old 10 Dec 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3177090)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bergqvist View Post
That sounds great but the model used was the one with the 328cc engine, rather than the 492 (which is what we have). Would it still be close enough?
John, I think at this point you need to be talking to a representative of the MSA. No offence to any that have posted on here but none of us are HTP inspectors!

Old 10 Dec 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3177166)   #28
John Bergqvist
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Cheers. I emailed them yesterday but haven't had a reply yet.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3177176)   #29
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think my late father used to race one in the mid to late 50s, only club level stuff.

If you knew him in his later years, you'd never believe that 328cc was enough to drag him along let alone *race*
Old 10 Dec 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3177204)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Cheers. I emailed them yesterday but haven't had a reply yet.
Like a lot of businesses, they usually respond quicker to phone calls- emails aren't so immediate!

Old 10 Dec 2012, 20:47 (Ref:3177284)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The amount of spam I get in my little business even with mail washers etc. is unbelievable and so easy to throw out the baby with the bath water, I can only imagine how much they must get!
Old 10 Dec 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3177303)   #32
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of no real help regarding obtaining papers but seeing this thread - I live about 500m from the site of the Berkley factory in Biggleswade. The Biggleswade Historic Society published some pictures of Berkleys and Lawrie Bond in a local free mag recently so they must have some info available although I doubt they have anything racing releated.

There are also so bits on Biggles FM web. You could always try contacting them to see if they can get any info - I'm sure they'd love the story angle

http://www.bigglesfm.com/berkeley.htm

Last edited by DaveGT6; 10 Dec 2012 at 21:44.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 23:25 (Ref:3177353)   #33
injected
Rookie

injected should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a B95 (my third Berkeley) and i wrote most of the Wikipedia article on them.

Your dad's is one of the very last 492's (they only made 666 of them). The 492 was the most successful racing car in the Berkeley range, so you won't have a problem entering it in any historic series.

I think your problem will be satisfying yourself that it can be made safe in the modern sense, as there is precious little structure in the standard car to which to attach roll cage, seat, belts etc to. Do call me if you'd like any help or to be put in touch with other Berkeley racers around the world.

Good luck!

Guy Lachlan
Classic Oils
01296-488927

Last edited by injected; 10 Dec 2012 at 23:38.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 13:03 (Ref:3177514)   #34
John Bergqvist
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by injected View Post
I've got a B95 (my third Berkeley) and i wrote most of the Wikipedia article on them.

Your dad's is one of the very last 492's (they only made 666 of them). The 492 was the most successful racing car in the Berkeley range, so you won't have a problem entering it in any historic series.

I think your problem will be satisfying yourself that it can be made safe in the modern sense, as there is precious little structure in the standard car to which to attach roll cage, seat, belts etc to. Do call me if you'd like any help or to be put in touch with other Berkeley racers around the world.

Good luck!

Guy Lachlan
Classic Oils
01296-488927
is there a standard FIA document somewhere showing what modern safety additions need to be made to historic cars, but so that they are still compliant with the HTP?
Old 11 Dec 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3177523)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
is there a standard FIA document somewhere showing what modern safety additions need to be made to historic cars, but so that they are still compliant with the HTP?
Everything is covered by FIA Appendix K document which runs to 97 pages from memory due to covering everything including kitchen sink and being in two languages on each page!

It can be viewed here but your MSA contact may be able to guide you through it easier.....

The 1959 Berkeley in question will fall into period E, and the safety equipment required for that is less stringent than anything newer. Whether the owner wants to race with lesser safety measures is obviously down to personal choice.

Old 21 Dec 2012, 03:25 (Ref:3180663)   #36
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A mate of mine used to own the Monza Berkeley, he never finished it & it was sold on.
Old 22 Dec 2012, 03:12 (Ref:3180994)   #37
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Taken at Donington but not sure of the date - if anyone can help I'd be grateful as I have several other pics from the same meeting!

As regards Appendix K, I opted out of it with my Marcos, because although the 1800 Volvo engine ran in period and has a great history, the Volvo 3 litre wasn't homologated. Just not worth the bother.

Fortunately, here in NZ, we don't need expensive paperwork to race in most classic events and about three-quarters of the cars don't even bother with the local equivalent, a CoD (Certificate of Description).

Ironically, we have very well supported events with up to 150 or so at a one day meeting and 250 for a two day. Extras such as the forthcoming higher profile event, ostensibly for fairly pure cars, the Denny Hulme meet, could well have over 300.
Old 22 Dec 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3181196)   #38
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Berkeley...

A friend of mine had one of these in the `70`s. Is it right that they had no reverse gear. You had to stop the engine & do something (maybe reverse the polarity...he did demonstrate this to me...?) & start the engine but it then ran in the opposite direction ? So it had 3 forward & 3 reverse gears ??

Or was it something else ?? Maybe not a Berkeley ? Seem to remember it had 3 wheels, 2 front one rear?
Alex
Old 22 Dec 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3181209)   #39
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
A friend of mine had one of these in the `70`s. Is it right that they had no reverse gear. You had to stop the engine & do something (maybe reverse the polarity...he did demonstrate this to me...?) & start the engine but it then ran in the opposite direction ? So it had 3 forward & 3 reverse gears ??

Or was it something else ?? Maybe not a Berkeley ? Seem to remember it had 3 wheels, 2 front one rear?
Alex
That may have been one of the smaller-engined Berkeleys - in common with many other economy cars of the period they had two-stroke engines originally intended for motorcycles. As bikes don't need reverse gears, (well, not if you discount such monsters as Honda Goldwings!) in car applications reversing was accomplished by starting the engine in the "wrong" direction. The B95 & B105 used four-stroke engines, so they couldn't do that - they used a four speed & reverse gearbox.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 14:10 (Ref:3181365)   #40
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The thing about reverse and three wheelers was that you could drive a 3 wheeled vehicle on a provisional motor cycle licence with L plates and no licenced driver sitting beside you as long as it didn't have a reverse gear, if you had a reliant "trotter mobile" you where supposed to have reverse blanked off.
All of the 2 strokes were easily reversed by simply advancing the ignition timing as they will run in either direction, as found out by some of the "home tuners" back in the old days
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Dec 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3181396)   #41
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My parents ran a four-wheeled Berkeley in vintage events in Canada in the '80s and '90s. I believe it was also a '59 but I don't know the model. It was indeed a very lightweight car, so my mom generally drove it.

Delta knows my brother Doug (with the Dreossi) so could find out more info from him on how VARAC classified the car.
keke
Old 24 Dec 2012, 01:38 (Ref:3181527)   #42
delcomb
Rookie

Canada
Chatham, Ontario
delcomb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddelcomb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
My parents ran a four-wheeled Berkeley in vintage events in Canada in the '80s and '90s. I believe it was also a '59 but I don't know the model. It was indeed a very lightweight car, so my mom generally drove it.
keke
It was a 1957 B60 (328 Excelsior 2 cyl). This was at Waterford Hills in Michigan in 1982. Scooter (mom) in the Berkeley, Dave (dad) in the '32 Morgan trike, me supporting the roll bar. Originally 3 speed, converted to 4 speed. It was just classified as Vintage Production here in Canada. It certainly taught me how to use mirrors.

Old 24 Dec 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3181559)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcomb View Post
It was a 1957 B60 (328 Excelsior 2 cyl). This was at Waterford Hills in Michigan in 1982. Scooter (mom) in the Berkeley, Dave (dad) in the '32 Morgan trike, me supporting the roll bar. Originally 3 speed, converted to 4 speed. It was just classified as Vintage Production here in Canada. It certainly taught me how to use mirrors.
That is a wonderful picture. Thanks for posting it!

Old 24 Dec 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3181626)   #44
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A word of caution

this sounds like the classic beginners approach of first having a car and then looking into where this could be raced.

Problem with that is that You might find Yourself at the very back of the grid with much more suitable machinery in front, getting lapped 2or 3 times.

I know how this feels because this is how I started.
I bought a 1925 racing Aston Martin 16 valver because I fell in love with it.
Only to find out that EVERYBODY ELSE had either 2 or 3 times the power of my car.
You soon tire of that.

I dont know how quick a Berkely like that is and how much the low weight makes up for the power difference.
I have a gut feeling that there is a reason why You dont see them racing out there.

Rudolf
Old 27 Dec 2012, 21:42 (Ref:3182305)   #45
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Problem with that is that You might find Yourself at the very back of the grid with much more suitable machinery in front, getting lapped 2or 3 times.Rudolf
Which is why the series I run in NZ runs one scratch race (no series points) then two handicap races, for series points. Handicaps are assessed only on proven track performance not some convoluted formula that never works fairly anyway.

The format works so well that we ended up with enough for two grids, so they are now separated by speed, meaning that no car gets lapped in a handicap race and all drivers get the 8 laps they have paid for. It also means that we have a huge variety of cars, which is one of the main objectives.

I am now in my 17th year of running it this way and it means that you can run a highly developed V8 or a modest 4 cylinder, though we do demand that even the slowest cars can meet a specific target time. Slower than that and they take part in what we term a Classic Reliability Trial where the driver merely has to circulate as close to his/her nominated lap time as possible.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3185060)   #46
John Bergqvist
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
We're not really *that* interested in winning to be honest.