Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 5 Sep 2004, 09:13 (Ref:1087190)   #1
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Players Special Road Ford Capri 3000

I know this is not a racing question but I need to find out any infomation on these cars.

I have seen a 3000 liter> JPS decaled ford capri. It has all the pin striping and the written John Players Special not the logo and has gold rims.

What I would like to know is how many of these cars where built and any spec's that i need to know about.

I think it an interesting car and maybe a good rebuilt project.

What do you guys think???
Old 5 Sep 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1087250)   #2
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Weren't the Ford-built ones 2000cc? Search for various Capri clubs web sites in UK probably best source of info.
Old 5 Sep 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1087273)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
As I recollect they were only a sticker package, nothing too special not like the Mk 1 RS3100. Actually if you have interest in Capris a friend of mine has just renovated an X-Pack Capri donated by Ford to a top race team who's name escapes me, in recognision of them winning a British or European Touring car championship, it is a real ice bit of kit with history.
Old 5 Sep 2004, 13:44 (Ref:1087401)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a colour scheme used on the Mark II S. The basic car was a road standard 3 or 2.0 S.

Jeremy Walton's Book "Capri" should tell you all you need to know.

(Haven't got it to hand so may even have the title wrong.)
Old 6 Sep 2004, 12:32 (Ref:1088099)   #5
Screech
Rookie

Screech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend of mine used to have one of these, it was a Mk2 2.0S. Other than the decals it was a standard S. Just one more Ford "special edition"!

Don't pay special money for it, but a nice car anyway!

Screech.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1088200)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hasnt this months Classic and Sportscar (the one with an Alfa on the cover)got a feature on these Capri's?
Old 6 Sep 2004, 15:12 (Ref:1088243)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
hasnt this months Classic and Sportscar (the one with an Alfa on the cover)got a feature on these Capri's?
The Capri is this month's 'Starter Classic'. The car they use to illustrate the article is a 1.6 in John Player livery (no JPS logo, though).
Old 8 Sep 2004, 01:24 (Ref:1089521)   #8
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanx guys for all the help. Its good to know that by using this forum we can get good infomation.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 06:30 (Ref:1089609)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
Blimey!

Respectability at last?
Old 10 Sep 2004, 16:18 (Ref:1092097)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recall that Alan Cornock of Royale Racing had one in 1977/78. Not much use to this topic I know but I do remember how good it looked in that livery.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 21:16 (Ref:1092340)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lad down our road had one in 1977 as his first "new" car. Looked pretty as a picture, especially compared with the car it replaced, which was a rolling 1970s cliche:

A 1971 Hillman Hunter, with metalflake blue paint, aftermarket vinyl roof, Fiamm airhorns which really DID play "Colonel Bogey", Wolfrace wheels, Cherry Bomb exhaust, rear leaf spring spacers to jack the rear up, four spotlights with chequered flag covers and a louvred back window.

Those were the days, eh?
Old 30 Oct 2007, 09:54 (Ref:2054707)   #12
mainshaft
Rookie

mainshaft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a mk 2,but not really just a re-badged s.
The car was offered in black or white,but the black was obviously more popular, mainly due to the fact that it had no chrome at all-even the exhaust tailpipe was black!,It also was never supplied with any JPS markings,either as a logo,or in words. Most people think, that it was produced to increase sales,using the succes of Lotus,s formula 1 cars of 1973-ish using the JPS lotus.Now extremely rare, if you can find one(a genuine one that is)BUY IT !
Old 30 Oct 2007, 09:59 (Ref:2054709)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
E Cheology. Welcome to our friendly forum mainshaft.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 06:59 (Ref:2055580)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In Australia in the early '80s, there was a limited edition BMW 318 sold in JPS livery with gold pinstripe, logos and gold wheels.