Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 26 Dec 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2808635)   #1
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Icy Tracks

Reading about the adventures at Mallory park with the snow and ice - How do you de-frost a racing circuit after a recent cold snap like the one we've just had. Ok, so it's not normally a problem, but winter series do run and of course there's the Plum Pudding.

I would imagine that snow is easily dealt with with ploughs, but what about the ice? Can you use rock salt on a race track and does it affect the cars when they start racing, or is something else more similar to the chemical used at airports required?

Genuinely curious about this now!
Old 26 Dec 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2808639)   #2
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Circuits don't like rock salt. Hence the skating that was last years (this years due to the weather) Specsavers Rally at Croft and the interesting time that was had at the Rockingham stages this year.
Old 26 Dec 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2808642)   #3
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you de-frost a racing circuit after a recent cold snap like the one we've just had?

Easy, wait until April!!

Bladders........
Old 26 Dec 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2808655)   #4
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen them spreading salt on Oulton, mind you, they can probably get it free after two minutes work with a shovel
Old 28 Dec 2010, 00:36 (Ref:2808895)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
How do you de-frost a racing circuit after a recent cold snap like the one we've just had?

Easy, wait until April!!

Bladders........
I've been at both Oulton and Mallory in April (different occasions, obviously) in snow. British GTs at Oulton, TVRs at Mallory IIRC. So wait 'til June would seem to be better.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2808958)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not sure if it would work on race tracks, but I've heard that some runways have pig urine spread on them from local farmers?
Old 28 Dec 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2808963)   #7
mmm_five
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
mmm_five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not sure if it would work on race tracks, but I've heard that some runways have pig urine spread on them from local farmers?
Urea is a common anti-freeze used in airports for plane de-icing - as salt corrodes the aluminium of which the planes are mainly constructed.

Can't they just use under-track heating elements, or put a dome over the whole circuit with air-conditioning
Old 28 Dec 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2808969)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Apparently this is what Knockhill uses on occasion!

Glad I don't have a single seater..
Old 30 Dec 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2809385)   #9
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we occasionally use it at work but it does not de-ice, it only prevents icing and only in certain humidity conditions. if a track is already covered it would be useless and the little pellets its dispensed in are a bit like ball bearings and can be just as slippery...

not sure what you could use on a circuit really. if it was all fresh snow and no ice i guess clearing it fully and then keeping cars running on it might be enough. Ice and it's probably just not possible unless you play in rally cars.
Old 30 Dec 2010, 10:54 (Ref:2809400)   #10
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An expensive option maybe, but what about those jet-dryers that NASCAR use to clean /dry their tracks? I guess they are pumping out hot air, which presumably would melt the ice, then dry the track, and as long as cars are moving for the rest of the day, it should be OK?
Old 30 Dec 2010, 12:19 (Ref:2809411)   #11
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre Socks? seems like the easiest solution. Why clear a whole track when you can put booties on the cars - cute too, you could get different colours for different teams.
Old 30 Dec 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2809413)   #12
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the circuit owners would be much more welcoming of rock salt if the competitors all rolled upto assembly with their studded ice tyres on....
Old 30 Dec 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2809437)   #13
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
I guess the circuit owners would be much more welcoming of rock salt if the competitors all rolled upto assembly with their studded ice tyres on....
They could probably do quick fixes on some of the drainage issues
Old 10 Jan 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2813741)   #14
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was marshalling at Three Sisters in November. Me and a few other marshals were asked to drive on the track before the racing started to clear some of the ice. I would definitely do it again, it was great fun!
Old 10 Jan 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2813946)   #15
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory used over £1,000.00 of salt on Christmas eve and Christmas day plus a lot of bloody hard work from the circuit staff.

The track was free of ice except for Edwina's and the Bus Stop - hence my decision to allow racing for the cars. We all decided it was too icy for the bikes! (We would have had to clear the aforementioned bits for them to race) - but they still turned up and the sight of a fully kitted rider pushing a bike on slicks through a snow covered paddock had even me wondering if they were a few pence short of a shilling!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2814324)   #16
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Kart tracks they won't use salt because of the corrosion it causes to precision engineered metals.

It is quite common for cars to drive on circuits to clear - have done it at Fulbeck more than once. Neighbouring PFI has a little more resource available from its members and has a small gas blower that sends hot air onto the track to melt ice. Towed behind a quad bike a few low speed passes do the trick. Dare say it would produce decent toasties too. Don't like to use it too often as it consumes gas at some rate.

Given the apparent change in climate these matters might become more frequent. In summer we may be dowsing with water to avoid the track melting. Anybody know of track melting?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2814345)   #17
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman View Post
Given the apparent change in climate these matters might become more frequent. In summer we may be dowsing with water to avoid the track melting. Anybody know of track melting?
Oulton Park! Touring car meet 2008 (If memory serves) very hot day and track breaking up at Island and Knickerbrook where the cars were turning sharply,

Icy tracks common for me but I do rally marshalling as well
Old 11 Jan 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2814375)   #18
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
it will take some really extreme temperatures for the track to melt....it realy depends on what tar content was used in the asphalt in the first place...santa pod use a jet dryer which gets darn hot..plus look at the states, they have far hotter temperatures than we ever will have and theyre fine. personally i dont subscribe to the whole global warming BS....i havent seen a thermometer reading above 0 degrees for a month LOL!..complete rubbish