Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Feb 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3200918)   #26
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
I know what I want in my mind.
I'm only surprised that none of the ne'er-do-wells who habitually lurk around this site haven't already come up with an answer to this....
Old 7 Feb 2013, 23:26 (Ref:3200955)   #27
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I've always attended on the Friday....but milady has just been advised that she'll be getting her second knee replacement that day....I have a "feeling" that I might be slightly unpopular if I asked her to get a taxi to the hospital, and told her I'd see her in the (late) evening........

Won't be getting to Race Retro this year.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3201050)   #28
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
I'll be there either Saturday or Sunday and probably do need new racewear. I know what I want in my mind but I havn't seen anything available 'off the shelf', certainly not what my wallet will allow anyway.
Make your way to Hall 3 (The Outer Darkness) then Moose...we will try and perform a mind dump and come up with something you want! And if we can't, therell be cakes, guaranteed horse free.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3201170)   #29
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's what Findus said
Old 8 Feb 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3201204)   #30
HornetV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bare, but born and bred in Birmingham
HornetV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shall be there Saturday, just look out for the chap in a leather jacket with stripes down the arm and sparco shoes, always good to meet new folk and like

Looking to join HSCC + VSCC anyone from there going so I can fill out some forms? (and Marshall forms too)
Old 8 Feb 2013, 14:59 (Ref:3201257)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think I will go on the Saturday, there is a Printware and Promotion show at the NEC on Sunday I want to go to so think I will stay over and catch both.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3201266)   #32
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetV8 View Post
Shall be there Saturday, just look out for the chap in a leather jacket with stripes down the arm and sparco shoes, always good to meet new folk and like

Looking to join HSCC + VSCC anyone from there going so I can fill out some forms? (and Marshall forms too)
The HSCC will be there in Hall 2 - they'll definitely have membership forms with them.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3201272)   #33
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
HornetV8 do you have and intend to race an AMC Hornet?
Old 8 Feb 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3201293)   #34
HornetV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bare, but born and bred in Birmingham
HornetV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
HornetV8 do you have and intend to race an AMC Hornet?
I wish, Sadly not, chose the username because I just like "The Fabulous Hudson Hornet" classic looking and sounding NASCAR beastie
Old 8 Feb 2013, 17:17 (Ref:3201309)   #35
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it be anorak of me to mention that the Hornet was a 6 pot
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 8 Feb 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3201310)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought the Wolsley Hornet was a 998cc four pot.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3201313)   #37
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Old 8 Feb 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3201349)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
To add, having just googled, the original Wolseley Hornet of 1930s was 6 cylinder and SOHC to boot. But you'd be too young to know that, Peter.

Hornet / Ian, welcome to the crazy world of historic racing today.....
Old 8 Feb 2013, 19:01 (Ref:3201353)   #39
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Pete Flanagan's Wolsley Hornet

I'm currently reading a book on Paul Newman's racing exploits. I've just got to the bit where he did the voice over the Cars film. As a promotion they built a Hudson Hornet NASCAR car. Basically a Hornet body over a current NASCAR chassis. Apparently Newman had it lapping on an oval at 175mph - He was in his eighties at the time!
Old 8 Feb 2013, 19:38 (Ref:3201363)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post

I'm currently reading a book on Paul Newman's racing exploits. I've just got to the bit where he did the voice over the Cars film. As a promotion they built a Hudson Hornet NASCAR car. Basically a Hornet body over a current NASCAR chassis. Apparently Newman had it lapping on an oval at 175mph - He was in his eighties at the time!
Hey Alan, no need to copy Peter and misspell Wolseley!

Just been looking at www.silverstoneauctions.com website where the lot list for RR auction can be found. Worth a look......

Old 8 Feb 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3201367)   #41
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
My first ever car was a Wolesley 6/90 complete with right hand gearchange in a right hand drive car, most unusual and probably why I have no problems driving yanks! She spat her guts out in the middle of Edware High Street after I had owned her for a month then Fire Auto and Marine who I had it insured with went broke with my money, I bought a Volvo 122s Amazon after that, a much better car.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3201460)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Hey Alan, no need to copy Peter and misspell Wolseley!

Just been looking at www.silverstoneauctions.com website where the lot list for RR auction can be found. Worth a look......

Bugger, I knew I got it wrong.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3201462)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
My first ever car was a Wolesley 6/90 complete with right hand gearchange in a right hand drive car, most unusual and probably why I have no problems driving yanks! She spat her guts out in the middle of Edware High Street .
No change there then.
Old 9 Feb 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3201828)   #44
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

My first car and a dream to drive, before we were married my missus and I toured from Swindon to Scotland and then back down again through peaks, dales, moors etc taking a fortnight to do it. The little Hornet never missed a beat including hours on the motorway going north. Gutted when I had to sell it
Old 9 Feb 2013, 17:38 (Ref:3201835)   #45
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting back to Race Retro...

There are a lot of anniversaries in 2013 and I will be there manning the Imp Club stand to promote the 50th Anniversary of the Imp. We will have a mix of competition Imps on display for visitors to enjoy - and I would guess that many more visitors will have personal experience of an Imp than of Lotus Cortina Mk 1 or Renault Alpine.

Do drop by to say hello...
Old 9 Feb 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3201849)   #46
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
No change there then.
Blimey Peter I got about 40 odd races out of that last engine including some 45 minute ones, can't knock that and it will not cost that much to repair being a Chevy, now if it was a Ford or a Rover you could double the bill lol! All stripped apart and will get doner block down to the machinist next week as we have to make the Brands Speedfest! Hey you can come out in Bernies V8's now in the FIA class!
Old 9 Feb 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3201866)   #47
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Bugger, I knew I got it wrong.
So did I
Old 9 Feb 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3201885)   #48
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
So did I
You youngsters.....

Simon, have you managed an Imp only race somewhere this season to celebrate?
Old 9 Feb 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3201974)   #49
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike - something is under discussion, but although Imp numbers are very healthy, it remains to be seen whether we can fill a grid sufficiently. Maybe as part of a grid, 2 separate races, 1 for Imps and 1 for something else?

Last year, there were 6 different winners in class E of the HTC so very competitive...
Old 11 Feb 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3202875)   #50
MylesC
Rookie

MylesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who is looking at staying overnight for the Race Retro show this year; I can strongly recommend this place just down the road from the show ground:-

http://www.wethelemanor.com/

They do an excellent cooked breakfast and they have plenty of secure car / trailer parking so ideal if you are planning on buying at the auction or perhaps something large from the auto jumble!