Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Sep 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3670338)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Truck? Lorry, surely......

Well, it happened, and affected access to the tunnel as well as ferry port. Started a bit late (Monday morning feeling?) and finished a bit late. According to the ferry and tunnel Twitter accounts, the blockade is lifted, but looking at live traffic map, there still seems to be some stationary traffic on the Autoroutes!

Train and ferry customers were able to use diversions down side roads and through Calais to avoid the blockades, so probably delayed but not a disaster for them or the operators. And the protestors got the media coverage they were after.....

Let's hope that's it for now and all quiet for Spa trip next week!
Old 6 Sep 2016, 12:01 (Ref:3670491)   #27
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I've booked tunnel this weekend. Back out to Zandvoort.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3670507)   #28
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post

....and I am travelling to Goodwood with DFDS on the Dunkerque-Dover route on Thursday, so I hope there will be no problems.

Last edited by John Elwin; 6 Sep 2016 at 13:03. Reason: Missing word - keyboard is on the way out.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3670553)   #29
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dover - Dunkerque DFDS was fine on Sunday night. I always use that route when going to European circuits and I've never had a problem.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 16:56 (Ref:3670562)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray View Post
Dover - Dunkerque DFDS was fine on Sunday night. I always use that route when going to European circuits and I've never had a problem.
When you say 'never had a problem', do you mean with migrant activity, or in any sense of the word?

Eurotunnel was as affected by the blockade yesterday as the port, so train customers were just as inconvenienced. From what I was told today, all trucks heading for the coast on the E40 were held in a queue, and then guided via the diversion to Calais docks. Not sure if trucks heading for Dunkerque were held as well- hopefully not!

It will be either Dover Calais or Dover Dunkerque for me next week when Spa beckons. See how things are looking after the weekend......
Old 6 Sep 2016, 17:10 (Ref:3670564)   #31
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
When you say 'never had a problem', do you mean with migrant activity, or in any sense of the word?

Eurotunnel was as affected by the blockade yesterday as the port, so train customers were just as inconvenienced. From what I was told today, all trucks heading for the coast on the E40 were held in a queue, and then guided via the diversion to Calais docks. Not sure if trucks heading for Dunkerque were held as well- hopefully not!

It will be either Dover Calais or Dover Dunkerque for me next week when Spa beckons. See how things are looking after the weekend......
I'll report in on Monday morning (if I'm back home!). Fortunately Dunkerque is within a 1km the same distance from home as Calais & I don't use the motorway as the road from St Omer takes you direct to the docks.

Will you be at Goodwood, Mike? I was at Chantilly last weekend, which almost makes Goodwood look downmarket!
Old 6 Sep 2016, 17:33 (Ref:3670569)   #32
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Uncle Eric drove up from Spa yesterday evening and from what he said he somehow managed to rock up on the A26 via Saint Omer and drove straight into the Eurotunnel.
I hope I don't get any holdups going to Goodwood on Saturday
Old 6 Sep 2016, 20:40 (Ref:3670611)   #33
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've only sent 1 guy out this week. He went via the tunnel this morning (always the better option) and had no problems, but the protest was reported to have been stood down last night so we weren't expecting any trouble. HOWEVER! there is another general strike scheduled for Thurs 15th Sept. In the past these haven't impacted too severely on the Calais crossings but with the strength of local feeling there's a risk this time might be different.

General advice, don't stop overnight (or leave your vehicle unattended)within 150km of Calais and avoid arriving in the hours of darkness.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 06:22 (Ref:3670687)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Will you be at Goodwood, Mike? I was at Chantilly last weekend, which almost makes Goodwood look downmarket!
Hi John, Chantilly Arts et Elegance is on the list, even though no racing there! Peter Auto have really raised the bar with that event. Not at Goody, IMO getting a bit predictable nowadays, and find moving around in the crowds hard work! (Must be getting old....)

Colin, simple advice! Avoiding night arrivals and stopping anywhere close enough to be a target for migrants....... Luckily will already be at Spa if that strike hits.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 06:53 (Ref:3670689)   #35
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Hi John, Chantilly Arts et Elegance is on the list, even though no racing there! Peter Auto have really raised the bar with that event. Not at Goody, IMO getting a bit predictable nowadays, and find moving around in the crowds hard work! (Must be getting old....)

Colin, simple advice! Avoiding night arrivals and stopping anywhere close enough to be a target for migrants....... Luckily will already be at Spa if that strike hits.
I thought Chantilly was wonderful. Superb setting, wonderful cars, lots of other stuff & all totally hassle-free. So yes, it should be done! No pushing through crowds either.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 08:25 (Ref:3670704)   #36
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Neither Mike. The biggest inconvenience has been waiting on the docks for more time than you have to at Dover as there are less boats that sail from Dunkerque.

I'm considering the tunnel next Wednesday though. The problem is my truck is just over 7.5 metres which takes it into the next price bracket and therefore uncompetitive with the ferry. Is it worth risking it and saying its under 7.5 metres as the price is then comparable with the ferry. There's only 2 feet in it.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 08:57 (Ref:3670708)   #37
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James, I checked with one of my guys and he says it's very common to see them run a tape measure over a truck.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 09:48 (Ref:3670713)   #38
marblerun
Rookie

marblerun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I came back from Zandvoort on the Monday.The trucks were held before Dunkerque. The diversions to Calais started at J53 and J50 and were well sign posted to the port and tunnel.
John Lord FJ#31
Old 7 Sep 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3670790)   #39
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just had the fright of my life . Got home a couple of hours ago around 4 pm . Said to Mrs Delta that going to have a nap . Just woke up in a panick as I thought it was 6 am not 6 pm . Need to leave at 5 am tomorrow .
Old 7 Sep 2016, 18:40 (Ref:3670799)   #40
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can just see you, staking out your claim on the beach, German style. Large flag of St Piran, matching windbreak, towels and budgie smuggler - then into the cold North Sea at some ungodly hour for a dip before opening the bike repair shop.

Enjoy.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 20:45 (Ref:3670822)   #41
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
The sea was the warmest I had known . Not a bad place to go back too twice in one week . I will admit I would still of preferred Goodwood . Cest la vie
Old 8 Sep 2016, 05:54 (Ref:3670919)   #42
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
The sea was the warmest I had known . Not a bad place to go back too twice in one week . I will admit I would still of preferred Goodwood . Cest la vie
The sea is supposed to be at its warmest in September having spent the summer soaking up the sun & the last week or three have been pretty warm.

Of course some subsidy junky of a scientist will try to tell you it's 'climate change' & we are all doomed!
Old 8 Sep 2016, 12:42 (Ref:3670980)   #43
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
No probs at all today . Came over on tunnel . Baking hot here .
Old 8 Sep 2016, 16:41 (Ref:3671041)   #44
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Errr, School holidays have just finished- it will be (relatively) dead this week! It will be the turn of the retired folk plus caravans to take their holidays next week...
Old 8 Sep 2016, 17:50 (Ref:3671057)   #45
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bobs not coming over?
Old 9 Sep 2016, 00:51 (Ref:3671137)   #46
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Bobs not coming over?
I'm hitching horse to caravan a we speak, Lowestoft here we come.
Old 9 Sep 2016, 06:12 (Ref:3671184)   #47
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I'm hitching horse to caravan a we speak, Lowestoft here we come.
Old 9 Sep 2016, 08:20 (Ref:3671199)   #48
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would like to offer a word of advice to those of us whose perigrinations take them through Calais'

I understand that the authorities intend to build a wall around the place to keep out undesirable elements, so just make sure you are on the right side of the wall when it is finished. We would hate to lose you all to a malodourous camp at Sangatte.
Old 9 Sep 2016, 09:51 (Ref:3671218)   #49
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Shows how long it is since you were there, Bob- Sangatte was closed down in 2002!
Old 9 Sep 2016, 18:15 (Ref:3671279)   #50
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Im already on the right side of it Bob.