Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Jul 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3749283)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It's not an event I would normally 'do' but I was asked to assist with 2 vehicles of particular personal interest.

To be honest, a lot of it doesn't interest me, and I was too busy to notice most of the peripheral entertainment.

A highlight was chatting to Gordon Murray, thoroughly decent bloke and we shared more than a MK1 Cortina in common!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Interesting that less than a dozen people posting on this event.
Does this tell us something about the popularity with the hard core enthusiasts?
Old 6 Jul 2017, 14:41 (Ref:3749293)   #27
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I was at FOS (and there's a thread in R&R related to the relevant content that was at FOS). It's a good event if you're interested in a broad spread of motorsport machinery and a great chance to get up close to some fantastic machines ('The Beast Of Turin' for example). I spent the morning wandering around the paddock and up to the rally stage then settled in a grandstand in the afternoon to watch stuff go up the hill. I can see why the event doesn't appeal to some people - after all a lot of the stuff going up the hill is not 'on it' and a lot of it may not appeal to people if they have a small sphere of interest (if you only like historic sportscars for example then the content may be a little thin for your tastes).

Some of the stuff I could live without (Terry bloody Grant for a start) but I can see why it appeals to people - it's a family friendly thing to stick on for a bit as filler (same with the bloke doing the wheelies and stuff on a motorbike) whilst there's a break.

For me doing FOS in a day is a squeeze - I could happily spend a day up in the woods watching (and listening to) stuff on the rally stage. It's not an event I'd do every year as it's pricey and the content can be 'samey' - I wasn't going to go this year but got offered a ticket so rude not to really
Old 6 Jul 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3749326)   #28
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We go every year, used to be for two days now only the one.
Since I have no interest in the moving motorshow, first look, "supercar" paddocks or any car maker stands on the infield the remainer can be done in a day.
Cartier and all the paddocks, a tractor ride to the top, a wander around the rally paddock and stage and then watch/snap the field into the top paddock.
A bonus of the current hybrid F1 cars being so hard to run at Goodwood is most teams run proper F1 cars instead

Friday crowd seemed about the same as in recent years, gave up doing the Sunday as there is far too much faffing about and mobbing of the 'famous'.

After the Friday at Goodwood seeing lots of my favourite cars close up the long weekend was made complete with two days at Brands for the HSCC