Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Jul 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3754548)   #101
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
It has oft been suggested on here that a move to another Subaru model like the Impreza or WRX would provide a better basis for a touring car.

Ages ago on here I posted that the WRX's death was imminent. Well the buggers have just launched another mildly tickled up version, so my Subaru man was bum steered by top brass.

The "new" Impreza, which has been on sale in the States for about 18 months now is "at least" a year away still.

So Levorg it will continue to be.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 08:31 (Ref:3754635)   #102
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Impreza hatch would be the logical choice for a BTCC car, but as you say still too far away and more chance of Subaru UK losing interest in the BTCC before it's eligible to race, unless TOCA allow some good will as they have done previously with the pre-production Civic Type Rs to keep Subaru UK on board.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 08:48 (Ref:3754641)   #103
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
New Impreza hatch would be the logical choice for a BTCC car, but as you say still too far away and more chance of Subaru UK losing interest in the BTCC before it's eligible to race, unless TOCA allow some good will as they have done previously with the pre-production Civic Type Rs to keep Subaru UK on board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The "new" Impreza, which has been on sale in the States for about 18 months now is "at least" a year away still.

So Levorg it will continue to be.
Due this Autumn - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...urt-motor-show
Old 27 Jul 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3754644)   #104
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
It's just a reveal this autumn, 'More information, including pricing and on sale dates, will be released when the car arrives this autumn.'
Old 27 Jul 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3754699)   #105
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Yet another bloody hatchback.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 18:45 (Ref:3754818)   #106
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed, hatch only for UK and autumn is a reveal. There will not be any customer cars 'til next summer.

Heck, they've dropped the ball getting the new (but looks very like the old) XV crossover on sale 'til the spring. Was planned to be in showrooms now.
Maybe they simply cant build enough to keep up with demand in the more important (to them) US and Japanese markets.

At least the new Civic is on the cards for Dynamics, so we should have one new race car for next year.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3756000)   #107
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with BMW now having FWD and a new Subaru model coming wouldn't it be a geat opportunity to ban RWD alltogether ?
Old 30 Jul 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3756052)   #108
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
with BMW now having FWD and a new Subaru model coming wouldn't it be a geat opportunity to ban RWD alltogether ?
That's not really what I want to see from the BTCC. RWD cars have always been allowed, why ban them now?
Old 30 Jul 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3756061)   #109
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
That's not really what I want to see from the BTCC. RWD cars have always been allowed, why ban them now?
Because they are beating Honda, duh
Old 30 Jul 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3756063)   #110
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Because they are beating Honda, duh
and Tingram , and Motorbase , and MG and everyone else
Old 30 Jul 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3756071)   #111
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Welcome to the world of racing - somebody has to win.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3756076)   #112
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
FWD - 1,5,6,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 in the championship.

RWD 2,3,4 and 7

Your argument might have some merit if RWD was leading the championship, and held places 2,3,4,5 as well - but if you look at the drivers in the leading RWD cars, is it a surprise they are doing so well?
Old 30 Jul 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3756089)   #113
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So...RWD are beating the entire grid apart from one? And this shows there isn't an advantage? I don't know if that's the best way to make your point.

Not saying I'm agreeing or disagreeing, but that doesn't seem like best way of looking at it.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3756095)   #114
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
So...RWD are beating the entire grid apart from one? And this shows there isn't an advantage? I don't know if that's the best way to make your point.

Not saying I'm agreeing or disagreeing, but that doesn't seem like best way of looking at it.
Some of the RWD cars are beating the majority of the FWD cars. But there is a FWD car in front, and they hold the majority of the rest of the upper standings in the championship.

3 RWD cars doing well doesn't mean that it should be banned from the championship.
FWD needs to be banned because it is beating everyone.

Perhaps Honda should be banned, because they are beating everyone?

Or perhaps we should look at banning scottish drivers?

Until we get a situation where a certain type of car is winning every event comfortably, any call for a ban is ridiculous!
Old 30 Jul 2017, 17:15 (Ref:3756097)   #115
porsche962fan
Veteran

but only 2 teams are RWD while the entire rest of field is FWD and the may soon need to change anyway

and without RWD there are no more issues regarding balancing the starts and lap times etc

you seen the starts RWD manage to win at least 1 row at the start, if Plato was in FWD he would have bashed that all day
Old 30 Jul 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3756099)   #116
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can ban Scottish drivers if you want - maybe they're just too good for those Englishmen to cope with.

I never said I supported a RWD ban. I'm just saying that if you presented those statistics to me and asked "which is better?" I'd say that RWD is definitely a better system to be using. One FWD car outside of the standard doesn't undo the overwhelming majority. Another way of looking at it is 3 out of the top 5 cars are RWD. Same stats, but reads very differently, right?

So yeah, I'm not saying we should ban RWD cars, but I do think your stats there support the idea that RWD is significantly better. But that's motor racing, so tough - get on with it.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3756101)   #117
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Can ban Scottish drivers if you want - maybe they're just too good for those Englishmen to cope with.

I never said I supported a RWD ban. I'm just saying that if you presented those statistics to me and asked "which is better?" I'd say that RWD is definitely a better system to be using. One FWD car outside of the standard doesn't undo the overwhelming majority. Another way of looking at it is 3 out of the top 5 cars are RWD. Same stats, but reads very differently, right?

So yeah, I'm not saying we should ban RWD cars, but I do think your stats there support the idea that RWD is significantly better. But that's motor racing, so tough - get on with it.
Agreed - it's just motor racing and something people have to accept.

Stats can be made to read many things, and I wholeheartedly agree that they don't show the true situation.

My point with the list of positions was following a claim that because RWD is beating so many drivers it must be banned. But FWD is also beating a lot of drivers - as long as FWD is in front of the best driver of all time (based on race wins) then it must mean FWD is the problem and not RWD!

If I am reading it right, 7 of the top 8 cars are running non-TOCA engines, so perhaps that is where the problem lies?

Or is it really that there is no problem, there are multiple race winners in different cars, with different drive-trains and engines?
Old 30 Jul 2017, 19:52 (Ref:3756146)   #118
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
RWD has always been allowed. What about those seasons when RWD wasn't as competitive. Something to do with the car maybe? Maybe the Scoobys and the Beemers have been developed as well as the Honda
Old 30 Jul 2017, 20:19 (Ref:3756163)   #119
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be wrong but I seem to remember right back at the start of the NGTC regs I'm sure I read that Gow thought it would be FWD dominated and no serious team would build a RWD one.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3756171)   #120
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The original plan was that RWD would be outlawed to put the driver more inward in the car, before some persuasion by Dick Bennetts allowed RWD to stay
Old 13 Aug 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3759169)   #121
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam Morgan seems to be having a lot of reliability issues with the Merc recently - car change for next season?
Old 13 Aug 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3759172)   #122
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Adam Morgan seems to be having a lot of reliability issues with the Merc recently - car change for next season?
Would it make a difference? It's pretty much all common components. Assuming he stays with the TOCA engine then changing car just means something that's a different shape.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3759213)   #123
S griffin
Veteran

I think Adam Morgan needs a works team to show what he can do, because it's just not working ATM
Old 14 Aug 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3759398)   #124
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think Adam Morgan needs a works team to show what he can do, because it's just not working ATM
He's not at that level. He's more of a Jack Goff than a Tom Ingram in terms of ability. Solid lower top ten driver at best.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 21:16 (Ref:3759421)   #125
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
I was wondering to myself (idle speculation) as to whether budget is tight at Ciceley leading them to use parts for longer than ideal, i.e. is the recent poor reliabilty simply wear and tear.