Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Closed Thread

Old 19 Jul 2002, 01:11 (Ref:336990)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have absolutely no idea how to do it!

It took me a day to figure out how to get it on here!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 01:58 (Ref:337005)   #17
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mac that is cool- I like to doodle tracks on paper a lot, with heavily wooded areas, paddock, stands, all sorts of good stuff. I would like to see some sort of observation tower that fans could use, like a scaled-down version of the CN Tower in Toronto. I would also make the bridges have transparent walls made of a Plexiglas or something...that would be great!

Keep on drawing!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 20:19 (Ref:337684)   #18
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to the track at hand... it IS the first half of Imola, the second half of Albert Park TAGGED TOGETHER!! Isn't it!! Admit it, man!!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 23:49 (Ref:337813)   #19
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No it's not. If you look at the map, it might appear like it. But if you imagine driving around it, it is nothing like it. I don't like using other tracks as guidance. I prefer to just design my own tracks, perhaps utilizing aspects I might like from other tracks.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 04:16 (Ref:338524)   #20
Rutle
Rookie

Rutle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange that a brand new (albeit hypothetical) track comes with two built in chicanes.

Now, call me old fashioned, correct me if i'm wrong, (and any other old cliché you care to chuck around) but isn't a chicane something the FIA have built at a good track to turn it into a worse track.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 10:48 (Ref:338672)   #21
mac
Veteran

Not necessarily. Chicanes can be tremendous corners if done correctly (Imola chicane at Magny-Cours, for example). The ones that suck are the ones that are chucked into the middle of or just before fast corners to make them slower. Chicanes are also a very good way of testing a car's handling and a driver's ability. Tell me you don't enjoy watching JPM, MSchu, or (in the past) Senna attacking a chicane.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 20:41 (Ref:339100)   #22
MagnetON
Royalridge Computing
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!
mac: I'm assuming you've read FIA Appendix O to the International Sporting Code
Old 22 Jul 2002, 03:02 (Ref:339285)   #23
mac
Veteran

No - why?
Old 22 Jul 2002, 03:27 (Ref:339293)   #24
mac
Veteran

While I'm waiting for MagnetON to get back to me on that, here's my next effort - Onionstone.
Attached Thumbnails
onionstone1.jpg  
Old 22 Jul 2002, 03:51 (Ref:339300)   #25
mac
Veteran

I like this one a little more than my first one. Here's how I see it:

Turn 1 is a quite flat, open hairpin and is the 1st passing opportunity of the track.

There is a short, slightly uphill shute to turns 2 & 3. 2& 3 is a fast s-bend. Turn 2 is flat, and the entry to turn 3 is slightly uphill. Between the apex and the exit of 3, the track suddenly starts going downhill.

Almost immediately after 3 is the turn 4 esses section (left-right-left). This is FAST and slightly uphill.

As soon as you exit the esses, you have to prepare for the braking zone for the tight, uphill right-hander - turn 5.

Turn 5 flows into turn 6 (an opening and slightly downhill left-hander). 6 leads the driver (or rider) down the flat-out blast down the back stretch.

At the end of the back stretch is a tight 90 degree right. This, turn 7 is the 2nd good place to pass on the track.

Turns 8, 9 & 10 is a fast downhill right-left-right section.

Immediately out of turn 10, is a tight and flat left, turn 11.

11 flows into turn 12 - an opening, downhill right that leads onto a shortish straight.

At the end of this straight is a tight, flat left, turn 13. 13 is the 3rd and last passing possibility.

Turn 14 is straight after 13, and is another slow corner, this time right.

The exit of 14 sees a steady uphill climb through the fast right-left, turn 15 chicane.

Between 15 and the turn 16 complex, the track flattens out.

The complex at the end of the lap is particularly tricky. The first part is a medium-speed right, immediately followed by a very slow left hairpin, which is immediately followed by an uphill, opening and quite fast right onto the main straight. Straight after the final turn, the track flattens out for the main straight.

Feel free to leave your thoughts - good or bad.
Attached Thumbnails
onionstone2.jpg  
Old 22 Jul 2002, 17:46 (Ref:339845)   #26
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm..... as I swill it around my mouth I'm getting.... mmmm...... hints of Suzuka.... with a subtle edge of the second half of Albert park.... and.... what's that flavour I feel on my palate afterwards?? I dunno... it's kind of Imola-ey.

BTW: I hope you didn't think I was dissing your track earlier, mac! I think they're great!! (and very well drawn. What do you use??)
Old 22 Jul 2002, 18:17 (Ref:339873)   #27
MagnetON
Royalridge Computing
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!
FIA Appendix O details the FIA requirements for track design, things like maximum change of gradient, track width, etc. I just thought it might make interesting reading for anyone interested in track designs.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 23:45 (Ref:340207)   #28
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Hmmm..... as I swill it around my mouth I'm getting.... mmmm...... hints of Suzuka.... with a subtle edge of the second half of Albert park.... and.... what's that flavour I feel on my palate afterwards?? I dunno... it's kind of Imola-ey.

BTW: I hope you didn't think I was dissing your track earlier, mac! I think they're great!! (and very well drawn. What do you use??)
Pen and texta. Very technological of me. The detailed ones are from Microsoft Paint.

I just draw what comes to me. I don't set out with an objective - ie. I'm gonna make this one like Imola. But it's nice to hear some comparisons.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 07:29 (Ref:341365)   #29
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
A great mind at work, Mac! As for myself, I'd like to build a 2-mile oval with 18 degree banking. The difference being that the banking is reversed, with the top being on the inside of the track, sloping downward toward the grandstands. And if that didn't separate the men from the boys, at the end of the backstretch would be a loop not unlike a rollercoaster. They say that ChampCars could stick to the ceiling at speed, don't they? And halfway down the frontstretch, just before the start/finish line, the track would abruptly drop down three feet. The cars would have to jump over a row of barrels, and to knock any over would mean a drive-through penalty. Better soften up the springs a little! Actually, forget the oval idea. Lengthen the track a little and make it a figure-8.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 09:54 (Ref:341429)   #30
MagnetON
Royalridge Computing
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
If you do the maths on such a track the problem with a loop is the actual g-force to get up and over would squish a driver like a bug. Also no sanctioning body would license such a track as there would be MASSIVE safety issues regarding what happens if some poor unfortunate doesn't have enough speed to make it over the top.

Although it DOES sound cool

As for the figure 8, oh yeah, I'm assuming you want the crossover to be on the same level!!!! The marshals would LOVE you for that one